Marners start..

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Our boy Mitch hasn't exactly set the world on fire since announcing his shiny new contract. He is definitely shooting the puck more. Good thing or bad? Should he go back to his passing game and continue to make the most incredible passes on the planet? Or do you like him shooting more?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Give the lad a break. He hasn’t been great sure but he still has 6 points in 6 games. Ppg AND a bad start? Ill take that

Reactions: Menzinger

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
He was hell bent on passing to give his agent something to work with when it came to contract negotiations. Last year I think I even remember him passing it off (probably to Hyman lol) on an EN so that he could get the primary assist rather then an EN goal.

Personally, I think his pops read the criticism here about him not being able to shoot (coupled with the fact he got his payday arguing the primary assists in his stats), he and / or his agent told him to shoot more to get his goal total at a superstar range like Matthews so they can try a different way to be at his level. #conspriacytheory #imstillbitterwithmarner

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
On a point per game pace.

Once Mitch and Tavares get a Moore or a Hyman back on their line, they’ll be back to dominating at 5v5 as well.

Some people are just licking their chops

Reactions: Rogue Leader

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I don’t mind him shooting more cause last year there were times he would try a pass when he should shoot. That said, he certainly shouldn’t be shooting to the extent his passing game suffers given that’s what makes him special to begin with. So now, so far, he looks like a guy who has a avg shot and can’t pass well either!

Reactions: saffronleaf

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
His numbers should be better and with his contract is looks worse but he'll be fine and will have 90+ points by years end, people should stop worrying about nothing.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I am not going to justify Marner as he is not in groove just as yet, but my question is who has played as per their standards? except for our 3rd and 4th lines and to be honest our 3rd line has exceeded all our expectations

I know people are not happy with Marner's contract (including myself) but both Matthews and JT are both making more money. Tavares hasn't performed as per his standards and has been average at best and speaking of Matthews he hasn't performed like a elite performer and if the barometer is points then Mikheyev has most ES points thus far on this team. Even Rielly hasn't performed as expected

My point is they are all under performing and they are all going to bounc back, we should talk about team in whole, rather then picking on one individual

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I am not going to justify Marner as he is not in groove just as yet, but my question is who has played as per their standards? except for our 3rd and 4th lines and to be honest our 3rd line has exceeded all our expectations

I know people are not happy with Marner's contract (including myself) but both Matthews and JT are both making more money. Tavares hasn't performed as per his standards and has been average at best and speaking of Matthews he hasn't performed like a elite performer and if the barometer is points then Mikheyev has most ES points thus far on this team. Even Rielly hasn't performed as expected

My point is they are all under performing and they are all going to bounc back, we should talk about team in whole, rather then picking on one individual

Matthews is on pace for 80 goals...could score 50 to 60 if he stays healthy.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
has been trash.

Matthews hasn’t been dominant for 2 games but was in the first 4 very much so.

Tavares hasn’t been dominant in any. Marner had one good game.

Rielly has been shaky.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Sebastian Aho has one goal in six games, and it, his only point. Marner's a ppg at present.

If Aho was a Leaf and had one point in six games, it would be rather opportunistic to occasion the need for scrutiny knowing what we know about Aho. Knowing what we know about Marner, you'd think we'd opt to let a ppg pace "slump" be cause for reasonable optimism, especially in light of his ridiculous contract negotiations.

Not us. Nope. As Leafs fans, what's the use in letting a day go by without rustling up a little anxiety to go with our well curated daily pessimism if we don't have to?

At any rate...Mikheyev is a true bright spot, this early season.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
He has not looked confident at all out there the past few games. Definitely seems likes its all in his head.

He did this in his second season too - lacked confidence and had like 2 goals in 25 gms or something

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Sebastian Aho has one goal in six games, and it, his only point. Marner's a ppg at present.

If Aho was a Leaf and had one point in six games, it would be rather opportunistic to occasion the need for scrutiny knowing what we know about Aho. Knowing what we know about Marner, you'd think we'd opt to let a ppg pace "slump" be cause for reasonable optimism, especially in light of his ridiculous contract negotiations.

Not us. Nope. As Leafs fans, what's the use in letting a day go by without rustling up a little anxiety to go with our well curated daily pessimism if we don't have to?

Simply put, Marner burned a lot of good will and patience this offseason.

Mitch may be a point-per-game, but his points play out as:

5v4 - 4 pts
6v5 - 1 pt
4v4 - 1 pt
5v5 - 0 pts

He's been a total passenger at even strength, his line (the one he supposedly drives) has been arguably our most underwhelming one and his general decision-making has been poor.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad