London, On
Drives a line
No comparables
Should make as much as Matthews
High hockey IQ
Elite playmaker
Most points
We heard it all summer.......

He and his camp set the dollar amount and expectations, so people are going to watch him more closely, and with the understanding that this is the 2nd highest paid winger in the league

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He is getting secondary assists on matthews ppg. I think he has created probably like two goals that I can think of. The pass on mattys goal against ott and yesterdays goal for matty as well.

He is playing like dog ****. Rielly has been playing like **** too. Just because they got gimme points doesnt mean anything to me. Secondary assists shouldnt count the same as primary or scoring the actual goal.

Its clear to me that goals should be 2 points, primary assists as 1 point. Secondary assists are nothing.

You do the same adjustments on all the top lines in the league ok. Have fun with that.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Drives a line
No comparables
Should make as much as Matthews
High hockey IQ
Elite playmaker
Most points
We heard it all summer.......

He and his camp set the dollar amount and expectations, so people are going to watch him more closely, and with the understanding that this is the 2nd highest paid winger in the league

Maybe i will go check how many #1 centers he is leading in scoring incrementally as the season goes. He could win the scoring title this year i suspect. I will go the other way and interject that Kapanen has likely cost the Tavares/Marner scoring points for 7 games, the chemistry was terrible from the beginning.

Kappy will likely get going right away now also because the pressure he might have been putting on himself to score playing with them two was not positive. So not blaming Kappy. It just did not work.

Moore-Tavares-Marner will be a handful because of the little things Moore can do better. By that I mostly mean his ability to maintain possession longer than Kappy does on the cycle.

About time that Babcock changed Kappy and Moore. The next thing he could do is put Mikheyev with Matthews and Willy. We already know that Kapanen and Johnsson have that chemistry for some reason. That third line would be golden to go along with our fourth line. There is something to be said for a third line with 3 players capable of 20 goals each and 50 points each.

I would like to see more changes beyond the forwards as mentioned above to the defense also. Rielly/Barrie definitely should be a pair.

Expect to see a very very dangerous Tavares line with Moore now. Marner complaints will be going away very quickly but not quick enough for me.

Reactions: Beyonder91

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
This is great... Now we have people breaking down his points. The lows people will stoop to try and discredit Marner.

At the end of the day the cream rises to the top and I can guarantee the best players in the league will all be near the top of the scoring leaders at season's end.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe i will go check how many #1 centers he is leading in scoring incrementally as the season goes. He could win the scoring title this year i suspect. I will go the other way and interject that Kapanen has likely cost the Tavares/Marner scoring points for 7 games, the chemistry was terrible from the beginning.

Kappy will likely get going right away now also because the pressure he might have been putting on himself to score playing with them two was not positive. So not blaming Kappy. It just did not work.

Moore-Tavares-Marner will be a handful because of the little things Moore can do better. By that I mostly mean his ability to maintain possession longer than Kappy does on the cycle.

About time that Babcock changed Kappy and Moore. The next thing he could do is put Mikheyev with Matthews and Willy. We already know that Kapanen and Johnsson have that chemistry for some reason. That third line would be golden to go along with our fourth line. There is something to be said for a third line with 3 players capable of 20 goals each and 50 points each.

I would like to see more changes beyond the forwards as mentioned above to the defense also. Rielly/Barrie definitely should be a pair.

Expect to see a very very dangerous Tavares line with Moore now. Marner complaints will be going away very quickly but not quick enough for me.

He COULD win the scoring title?

Dude with what we are paying him, he had BETTER win the scoring title. As watching someone else do it who signed for less money is just gonna piss me off more than I already am at this little selfish prick.

Nikita Kucherov

Sokay though I know, I know...he honored Dougie Gilmour in his AAV number!

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

But if he can "drive a line" like we kept hearing, and made JT a better player, why would Kap affect him?

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think babcock keeps Moore on that line for long. Even if he by far outplays what Hyman provides.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Dude with what we are paying him, he had BETTER win the scoring title.

Is that where you are at? Really? And are you going to expound this demand until he does win a scoring title? Will you stop after that? Or demand he win the scoring title every year?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Is that where you are at? Really? And are you going to expound this demand until he does win a scoring title? Will you stop after that? Or demand he win the scoring title every year?

How long is that stupid contract he signed?

That's not where I'm at, that's what he and his asshole agent sold us on when they came up with that f***ing number.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
But if he can "drive a line" like we kept hearing, and made JT a better player, why would Kap affect him?

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think babcock keeps Moore on that line for long. Even if he by far outplays what Hyman provides.

I can’t explain the Marner skillset beyond what we already know. We know he drives and Tavares drives. Good problem. I was never a poster to minimize Tavares’s contribution. No way, i appreciate Tavares

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Dude with what we are paying him, he had BETTER win the scoring title. As watching someone else do it who signed for less money is just gonna piss me off more than I already am at this little selfish prick.

Nikita Kucherov

He doesn’t have to win the scoring title one little bit. It would be nice for him. You compare him to Kucherov when he is the same age. I’m happyfor him and his family that he got a great deal. Thats the way it rolls DUDE

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
He doesn’t have to win the scoring title one little bit. It would be nice for him. You compare him to Kucherov when he is the same age. I’m happyfor him and his family that he got a great deal. Thats the way it rolls DUDE

Ya that's the way it rolls. You put your worth at the number you better damn well live up to it. Or expect to get shit on.

And we both know mitchy reads social media.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Do I really need to go through and quote many of the posts in the thread?
I fully expect him to bounce back to normal but he has played like complete crap this season SO FAR. His start of the season (and rielly) has altered my view of looking at point totals because I think matthews/nylander/mikheyev/moore/kerfoot/goat have played significantly better.

Just because they have the most points on the team (lots of pp points and secondary points) doesnt mean they both havent been brutal.

Again, I fully expect them to bounce back. But the whole “marner is our point leader” doesnt mean anything to me anymore. Just look at this season. No where near our best player.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ya that's the way it rolls. You put your worth at the number you better damn well live up to it. Or expect to get **** on.

Purely an emotional response, instead of one based on logic. Sure, he's overpaid, but that isn't on just him, but management too, and may not even be relevant. Winning scoring titles, isn't relevant, nor should it be a goal. Winning Cups, going deep into playoffs is.

On pace for 105 point season, despite not playing at their best yet.... early in a season.

At the end of the day, this is just a game, that we are fans of... no need for such an angry emotional response, to a kid, playing a game, getting paid.

Reactions: ACC1224

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Purely an emotional response, instead of one based on logic. Sure, he's overpaid, but that isn't on just him, but management too, and may not even be relevant. Winning scoring titles, isn't relevant, nor should it be a goal. Winning Cups, going deep into playoffs is.

On pace for 105 point season, despite not playing at their best yet.... early in a season.

At the end of the day, this is just a game, that we are fans of... no need for such an angry emotional response, to a kid, playing a game, getting paid.

Oh I'd give him a pass if he wins ANYTHING.

Right now he's won NOTHING.

You get to the finals or win a cup, all is forgiven. You win a scoring title once or twice, ok all is forgiven. You put yourself out there and demand more than the guys who have done all that and yeah...you are going to look like a big asshole when you don't accomplish anything.

That's the situation he put himself in. And management? Management is also dumb asses for creating this ridiculous cap structure.

This isn't basketball. Other players on most other teams "get it" which is why you just saw a summer where ever where else in the league operates under a different reality than Toronto. Players and GM's alike.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

He probably will win a couple over his career with the quality of roster he gets to play with. I have a sneaky suspicion there was a whole lot of bias that will get starved out by Marners quality of play in the very near future.

I think as fans it is very difficult to have a pulse on what insiders in the sport are rationalizing as fair market value and the changing fluidity involved in it behind closed doors.

It is definitely a agenda involved by certain posts that tend to entirely argue every plus in a players game because (Marner) got the best deal so far. Lets see in three years when equally important players to their teams that done the bridge deals require new deals under the new economics and inflation dynamic naturally built in to the cap system.

I now see the posts with this insatiable attempt to #1 increase expectations. #2 devalue contributions. Slag the agent, slag the player as greedy, as though the said player is required to abstain from being any part of the capitalist system we all live in by association and fictional loyalties required to be a Maple Leaf ha.

It really is unfortunate many get caught up in non required aspects of the game to the detriment of their enjoyment of a elite hockey team we should be able to enjoy.

Contracts have done nothing to negate our ability to be a contender this year. Is this not a really strange way to view the team! Lol i find it strange

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ya that's the way it rolls. You put your worth at the number you better damn well live up to it. Or expect to get **** on.

Yeah we know he reads the crap. He also had to read posts about his parents from worms that crawled out of their dirty little wet holes to spit some dirt. Hopefully they crawled back where they belong ;)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Nikita Kucherov

Ups and downs associated with term contracts. Kucherov wasn't eligible to negotiate a new deal based on being the most productive but not highest paid following that season. Likewise for the teams that had players earning more than him while producing less. Not always easy unfortunately for the highest AAV players to consistently play to or outplay their deals. Somewhat of a flip side to that is them probably providing really good value while on ELCs.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
How long is that stupid contract he signed?

That's not where I'm at, that's what he and his ******* agent sold us on when they came up with that ****ing number.

I suggest a daily cup of camomile tea to help you manage your stress, which really seems to be kind of high for something that really doesn't warrant it. And maybe put some butter on that toast. It does go down better that way.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Tied for 9th in NHL scoring ... not sure how he shows his face around the rink :sarcasm:
Im not sure how people who disparage him, dont know how stupid they look and will look. The proclamations around here are quite remarkable in that they say more about the particular poster's mental faculty than Marners ability or performance expectation.
Either that or the trolling is running rampant around here.
There really isnt a fine line between criticism and cruxifiction.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If this is the type of BS we have to read for every point you have fun with that on every other players points to ok. Unreal
Where's the BS? The other poster made the claim that most of his points were plays that most can't do, and I just listed them. I have no intention of doing that for every point, and that should have been obvious if you actually bothered to read the exchange.

Reactions: Menzinger

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Do I really need to go through and quote many of the posts in the thread?
That people have been using this start to crap on him? I absolutely agree with you on that.

This is great... Now we have people breaking down his points. The lows people will stoop to try and discredit Marner.
Jeez. The reason I did was because some are so unable to criticize him for anything that they need to pretend every point he gets is special. I just refuted that. I literally have posts in this very thread pointing out that this is just a slump and means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If someone would have said that he hasn't made a single good play on one of those points, I would have refuted that too.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Im not sure how people who disparage him, dont know how stupid they look and will look. The proclamations around here are quite remarkable in that they say more about the particular poster's mental faculty than Marners ability or performance expectation.
Either that or the trolling is running rampant around here.
There really isnt a fine line between criticism and cruxifiction.

Talk about disparaging.........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad