Marner vs Tkachuk

Tkachuk or Marner?

• Total voters

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Doesn't Marner play with Matthews or Tavares. Don't get me wrong but Backlund is nowhere near as good as those two.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If I was a GM building a team, you take Tkachuk every time. Gaudreau is better than Marner and I would trade Gaudreau before I would deal Tkachuk.

Ya that's what I think is funny. Toronto fans will admit Gaudreau is better than Marner, but I think Tkachuk is better than Gaudreau.

If Tkachuk is within 25% of Gaudreau's points. You take him every time. Guess we value things differently

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Ya that's what I think is funny. Toronto fans will admit Gaudreau is better than Marner, but I think Tkachuk is better than Gaudreau.

If Tkachuk is within 25% of Gaudreau's points. You take him every time. Guess we value things differently
Hugely disagree. Gaudreau drives our team. Tkachuks great but he cant carry a team like Gaudreau. I feel like some Flames fans are starting to overrate Tkachuk

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Your stats are bad. Tkatchuk played in the nhl in his D+1 season while Marner was playing in junior in his D+1 year
You’re right the 13 game sample is much more accurate than the entire career so far.

Just for fun, ignoring rookie years

95gp/85pts= .90 ppg
82gp/66pts= .80ppg

Still a gap. Now there’s a legit argument in saying Tkachuk is better, my point was you’re not winning it with the ppg argument.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
He play with Tavares and Leafs fans told me Tavares is a top 10 c so....
Yeah dude I’m not sure what your deal is but so you know Tavares just got here last summer. They’ve played about 10 games together as he’s also played on the kadri line.
Helps when you have a franchise center by your side at all times. Makes the game that much easier.
Marner has barely ever played with Matthews (they’ve never started a game on the same line). His most common centres have been Kadri and Bozak for his career.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
You’re right the 13 game sample is much more accurate than the entire career so far.

Just for fun, ignoring rookie years

95gp/85pts= .90 ppg
82gp/66pts= .80ppg

Still a gap. Now there’s a legit argument in saying Tkachuk is better, my point was you’re not winning it with the ppg argument.
I was just making a points production update. Even before this season i would have said Tkatchuk>Marner.
People here act like Tkatchuk is just a physical player with decent offensive talent. But he's one of the best playmaker in the nhl

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Marner has barely ever played with Matthews (they’ve never started a game on the same line). His most common centres have been Kadri and Bozak for his career.

Fair enough. If that's the case then it's close. I'd give Marner the offensive edge for now. But Tkachuk provides so much more than offense. Kadri and Backlund are close.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ya he is behind Gaudreau and Gio for sure.

Gio is undoubtably our best player. Not even close really.

Johnny's great too but it's a no brainer to me who you ship off if a guns to your head. By the end of Gaudreau's contract this is going to be Tkachuks team.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
I was just making a points production update. Even before this season i would have said Tkatchuk>Marner.
People here act like Tkatchuk is just a physical player with decent offensive talent. But he's one of the best playmaker in the nhl
Fair enough. I just generally have an issue with cherry picking small samples to prove a point (especially when they’re producing at the same rate). Regardless I’d love to have a player like Matty on the leafs. He’s the type of player we need the most right now. Him and kadri would be horrible to play against.

Fair enough. If that's the case then it's close. I'd give Marner the offensive edge for now. But Tkachuk provides so much more than offense. Kadri and Backlund are close.
For sure. Marner certainly has the offensive production/upside for now but it seems Tkachuk has the whole package. It’s tough for me because living in the east I don’t get to see a lot of Calgary so it’s hard to have a completely unbiased opinion. I’d have to look into the numbers but I wouldn’t doubt if Matthew was a better 5on5 producer at this point.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hugely disagree. Gaudreau drives our team. Tkachuks great but he cant carry a team like Gaudreau. I feel like some Flames fans are starting to overrate Tkachuk

If you don’t think Tkachuk drives his own line, you aren’t watching closely enough. This season he’s been every bit as impressive as Johnny.

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
For sure. Marner certainly has the offensive production/upside for now but it seems Tkachuk has the whole package. It’s tough for me because living in the east I don’t get to see a lot of Calgary so it’s hard to have a completely unbiased opinion. I’d have to look into the numbers but I wouldn’t doubt if Matthew was a better 5on5 producer at this point.

I like you. We agree on so many points. I have no doubt you wouldn't trade Marner for Tkachuk. And I'm the same. I like Tkachuk's game a lot and I feel like he's just going to get better. As will Marner. I just don't have a lot of time to watch games in general lol. So a period here and there. Everyone has a bias to some extent. Even if they're a fan of a third team. You just can't help it. It's in human nature. Now if I said I'd take Tkachuk over Matthews, that would make me sound stupid. But Tkachuk and Marner is closer so bias will creep in. And it's not as black and white as it seems

Reactions: Big Cactus

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Tkachuk just passed Marner in points, and that’s the one area where Marner is supposed to be better.

If Tkachuk can keep up this level of production along with everything else he brings to the table, I don’t see how you can pass on him.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Tkachuk is over a ppg and I honestly don't think he's been all that great so far. Like he's been good but I've also seen him play better for extended periods of time. Not having defensive responsibilities heaped on him has definitely helped jumpstart his production.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's

Maybe, (I doubt it but maybe) but you know who is a much better playmaker? Marner.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Are you sure you're a Flames fan?

That is the most insulting thing I've ever read
lol im sorry u felt so "insulted" by that. If u think Tkachuk is more valuble than one of the best players in the game right now idk what to say. Gaudreau>>Tkachuk ainec

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Tkachuk is over a ppg and I honestly don't think he's been all that great so far. Like he's been good but I've also seen him play better for extended periods of time. Not having defensive responsibilities heaped on him has definitely helped jumpstart his production.

Put me in this category too. I for one have not been very impressed with him this year (which is a good thing given the results)

Gio
Johnny
Lindholm
Chucky

Is how I would rank them this year.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Tkachuk just passed Marner in points, and that’s the one area where Marner is supposed to be better.

If Tkachuk can keep up this level of production along with everything else he brings to the table, I don’t see how you can pass on him.

Wait, I thought Tkachuk wasn't in Marner's league?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Doesn't Marner play with Matthews or Tavares. Don't get me wrong but Backlund is nowhere near as good as those two.
He's played with Tavares this year, not with Matthews.

Last two years he's primarily been with Bozak and JVR, and for a bit Kadri.

He hadn't received PP time w Matthews until this year, so no he really hasn't seen much time with Auston or Willy.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
lol im sorry u felt so "insulted" by that. If u think Tkachuk is more valuble than one of the best players in the game right now idk what to say. Gaudreau>>Tkachuk ainec
Put me in this category too. I for one have not been very impressed with him this year (which is a good thing given the results)

Gio
Johnny
Lindholm
Chucky

Is how I would rank them this year.

That's the beauty of it. While Tkachuk doesn't look as good this year yet (making more mistakes than usual) and while I have zero problem with anyone saying Gio has been our best player (absolute beast), Tkachuk has undoubtedly still been our best forward and there's literally zero evidence to suggest Gaudreau or Lindholm have been better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad