Marner vs Tkachuk

Tkachuk or Marner?

• Total voters

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
I definitely think this is a reasonable comparison. I think Tkachuk has gone incredibly under the radar for as good as he is. I’d say this comparison is close enough that I’d want to have actually watched both of them a reasonable amount to come to any conclusion.

I do wanna throw out there as well though, that Backlund and Frolik are no slouches as linemates! Especially if you are using possession as a positive for Tkachuk, those two seem like they would do absolute wonders for your possession numbers. So as Tavares is to Marner’s points, Backlund and Frolik are to Tkachuks possession stats.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Have you ever heard someone say “Led Zeppelin isn’t in the same league as the Beatles” or vice versa. Or some say “rebook isn’t in the same league as Nike” or thinkers like me that?

It’s “league” in that sense. In the English language, and in talks of comparisons, it’s an extremely popular (universal) way to use the word.

Yes, when comparing things that don't belong to leagues.

However, in this instance it's extremely inappropriate, because both players are quite literally in the same league. It's not an analogy that parses into sports unless you are speaking in the literal, in which case it's obviously no longer an analogy.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If I was a GM building a team, you take Tkachuk every time. Gaudreau is better than Marner and I would trade Gaudreau before I would deal Tkachuk.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Really?! Lindholm has been that good for you guys? I’ll have to keep an eye on him.
Yeah man. I mean stats point that way but in terms of his hunger to control the puck and fight for it is impressive. He is also a beast on the PK. I’m overly impressed with him so far and he exceeded all my expectations. He’s been better than monahan this season.

Reactions: dratbunnies

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
If I was a GM building a team, you take Tkachuk every time. Gaudreau is better than Marner and I would trade Gaudreau before I would deal Tkachuk.

Its the same way we are probably feeling about Brady Tkachuk in Ottawa.

You wouldnt know without watching them regularly, but these Tkachuk kids just have "it". And after seeing the massive impact that they can make all over the ice and even on the bench and in the locker room, a guy like Zadina would have to basically be lapping Tkachuk in points to justify taking him instead.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Is he? Marner just turned 21 this spring and has 79 points in his last 80 GP. Over the majority of that time frame (at the same age) Gaudreau was still playing college hockey.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Is he? Marner just turned 21 this spring and has 79 points in his last 80 GP. Over the majority of that time frame (at the same age) Gaudreau was still playing college hockey.

How did Marner do in the first half of last year? Yeah let’s not use that so we inflate his pace.

Now compare career PPG percentages.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
How did Marner do in the first half of last year? Yeah let’s not use that so we inflate his pace.

Now compare career PPG percentages.

He has 79 points in his last 80 GP so he did quite well actually. We can use their entire careers if you like but that requires acknowledging that one guy was putting up Pt/GP at an NHL level at and age where the other was still in college.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
He has 79 points in his last 80 GP so he did quite well actually. We can use their entire careers if you like but that requires acknowledging that one guy was putting up Pt/GP at an NHL level at and age where the other was still in college.

How well? Pull up the whole season. He was nowhere near PPG last year in the full season.

I can say the same thing... Gaudreau was on pace for 90-100 for most of last year....

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How well? Pull up the whole season. He was nowhere near PPG last year in the full season.

I can say the same thing... Gaudreau was on pace for 90-100 for most of last year....

If you want a fun comparison.
In Tkachuk's last 50 games, if you exclude his final 3 appearances last year where he probably shouldn't have been playing anyways; 46 points in 50 games. Not bad for a tough plug that only brings truculence.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
If you want a fun comparison.
In Tkachuk's last 50 games, if you exclude his final 3 appearances last year where he probably shouldn't have been playing anyways; 46 points in 50 games. Not bad for a tough plug that only brings truculence.
It’s ok cause they are removing a 1/3 of last season for Marner so he becomes a PpG player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Its the same way we are probably feeling about Brady Tkachuk in Ottawa.

You wouldnt know without watching them regularly, but these Tkachuk kids just have "it". And after seeing the massive impact that they can make all over the ice and even on the bench and in the locker room, a guy like Zadina would have to basically be lapping Tkachuk in points to justify taking him instead.

Completely agree. I know you Sens fans get it.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Mitch Marner 16 points in 13 gp
Matt Tkachuk 17 points in 14 gp

Yeah i take the younger and better overall player in Tkatchuk.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec

One is 21 the other is 20 not really a valid argument. Depends what you want on your team. For the Leafs, Marner is the better player but for some others it might be Tkachuk and I understand

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto

Let’s explore a larger sample size.

146pts/172gp= .85ppg
111pts/157gp= .70ppg

Pretty significant gap. Point per game is not the argument you should be usuing here.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Let’s explore a larger sample size.

146pts/172gp= .85ppg
111pts/157gp= .70ppg

Pretty significant gap. Point per game is not the argument you should be usuing here.
Your stats are bad. Tkatchuk played in the nhl in his D+1 season while Marner was playing in junior in his D+1 year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad