Value of: Marner Relative to Draisaitl **pleaes re-read OP POST**

Status
Not open for further replies.

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
Whose the better player and whose more valuable?
Who do you think is the better player and has more value? ***EDIT PROVING MARNER>DRAISAITL WITH STATS**

AADVANCED STATS For Marner vs Draisaitl!

Marner: Takeaways = 85; Turnovers = 50; CF% = 59%; FF% = 57%; TOI/GAME: 16:39 ; 3.1 Points/60

Draisaitl: Takeaways = 78; Turnovers = 84; CF% = 53%; FF% = 54%; TOI/GAME: 19:32 ; 3.1 Points/60

How in the world is Draisaitl Outproducing Marner???

I provided stats backing up;

1) Marner > Draisaitl Defensively!

2) Marner = Draisaitl Offensively! ------> Marner = Draisaitl P.60

Last edited:

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Marner has more value (NHL GMs agree with me too). Drai has to have his hand held by McDavid in order to produce.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
This is actually a tough one, good question to ask.

I do think Drai is a bit overrated, and Marner is really showing that he could be PPG over a full season next year in my opinion.

I always tend to still side with the centre, but Marner has looked REALLY elite the second half of the season. Maybe better to revisit next year.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Hard to measure.

One plays with McDavid half the time and bums the rest of the time, the other is always on the 2nd line.

The first is on a shitty power play team the second is on one of the best.

One plays C half the time the other is always a RW.

One is big the other is a smurf.

One is overpaid the other on an ECL.

That last factor suggests to me Marner might have more trade value but Centres make the world go around so it depends on your teams situation. The Habs for example would probably pay more for Dra. The Penguins would probably rather have Marner.

Reactions: phlocky

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
See, I don't dislike Drai at all, but this is such a dismissive post, I can tell you don't watch the Leafs or Marner a lot.

Which is fine, your opinion is valid and completely your right, but most wouldn't agree with it.

It's an Oiler thing, all their players at better than ours don't you know?

Reactions: DanM

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
If he is better at everything and plays half the time with the leagues top scorer, why does he not significantly out produce such an inferior player?

He's obviously better defensively and physically while playing a much more important role and I think it's pretty clear he's a better offensive player that could change pretty soon cause he's ridiculous offensively

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It’s Draisaitl.

Yes he plays with McDavid about half the time, but when he’s not, he’s carting Lucic’s useless ass around on one side and a replacement level player like Slepyshev on the other.

Despite this, he’s now got back to back 70 point seasons. He is emerging as one of the NHL’s best faceoff men. He can be an absolute game breaker and utterly take over games. However, he’s quite emotional and very hard on himself, so he can get quite down on himself and it affects his confidence at times.

I quite like Marner as a player, I just wish he’d be more selfish. He needs to learn a similar lesson that McDavid did - when you’re better than most of the guys out on the ice, learning to shoot keeps defencemen honest and gets you more room.

That being said, if you’re wanting to know who has more value, I guess it depends if you’d pay more for a Patrick Kane / Johnny Gaudreau type winger, or an Anze Kopitar / peak Toews type centre. I think there’s less of the latter, and they’re harder to find.

Would either team trade either guy straight up for the other? Hard to say. I think Draisaitl has an edge right now - certainly he’s bigger and stronger, and is an absolute bull on the puck, and plays in all situations including PK. Marner is quicker and slipperier and is probably slightly better from a pure offense POV.

As an Oiler fan, I would not trade Draisaitl for Marner. C>W value wise, and Draisaitl’s versatility - sometimes, for some reason, held against him (usually for confirmation bias reasons) gives him the edge for me.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I love Marner and Draisaitl I think Marner will be a better producer in his Career , but Draisaitl as of now more effective as a player better defensively and a face off beast , but this can change ,interesting topic though

Reactions: Raymoondo and DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
It’s Draisaitl.

Yes he plays with McDavid about half the time, but when he’s not, he’s carting Lucic’s useless ass around on one side and a replacement level player like Slepyshev on the other.

Despite this, he’s now got back to back 70 point seasons. He is emerging as one of the NHL’s best faceoff men. He can be an absolute game breaker and utterly take over games. However, he’s quite emotional and very hard on himself, so he can get quite down on himself and it affects his confidence at times.

I quite like Marner as a player, I just wish he’d be more selfish. He needs to learn a similar lesson that McDavid did - when you’re better than most of the guys out on the ice, learning to shoot keeps defencemen honest and gets you more room.

That being said, if you’re wanting to know who has more value, I guess it depends if you’d pay more for a Patrick Kane / Johnny Gaudreau type winger, or an Anze Kopitar / peak Toews type centre. I think there’s less of the latter, and they’re harder to find.

Would either team trade either guy straight up for the other? Hard to say. I think Draisaitl has an edge right now - certainly he’s bigger and stronger, and is an absolute bull on the puck, and plays in all situations including PK. Marner is quicker and slipperier and is probably slightly better from a pure offense POV.

As an Oiler fan, I would not trade Draisaitl for Marner. C>W value wise, and Draisaitl’s versatility - sometimes, for some reason, held against him (usually for confirmation bias reasons) gives him the edge for me.

An excellent well thought out post, great read.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I love Marner and Draisaitl I think Marner will be a better producer in his Career , but Draisaitl as of now more effective as a player better defensively and a face off beast , interesting topic though

Yeah, as much as I love Marner, it's hard not to take the centre.

I say this will be a good question to revisit in a year, both players trending well.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yes Yes, Leaf fans are somehow intellectually inferior to all others despite how statistically unlikely that is...:rolleyes:

You do realise how moronic that comes across?

You have just illustrated the irrational hostility nicely for us, thanks.

I have to agree, this is a perfect example.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
It’s Draisaitl.

Also, I know the Oil get roasted all the time over Lucic, but at the time many teams wanted him, he just doesn't have it anymore, or it seems anyway.

But I remember many teams were willing to pay this guy, so it wasn't just the Oil giving him money.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Yeah, as much as I love Marner, it's hard not to take the centre.

I say this will be a good question to revisit in a year, both players trending well.

That's the thing, Dra is much further ahead in his development and they already have equal production. Odds are Marner becomes the better producer, the question is will it be enough to offset the position difference?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
That's the thing, Dra is much further ahead in his development and they already have equal production. Odds are Marner becomes the better producer, the question is will it be enough to offset the position difference?

Yeah, I think it will be an interesting thing to watch as their careers keep going. I still like the centre position, but I also like the vision of Marner all over the ice. Both excellent young players for years to come.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think this post has a few inaccuracies and assumptions.

First, I'm a little confused how Draisaitl is much further ahead in his development. Yes there is a 1.5 year age gap, but this is Draisaitl's 3rd full NHL season and his Draft+4, while this is Marner's 2nd full NHL season and his Draft+3.

Second, Marner has not matched Draisaitl's 77 points, and even this season Draisaitl had 1 more point in 4 fewer games. I think its also highly unlikely that Draisaitl will only score 11 power play points most seasons, so his drop in production from last season is almost entirely explained by the Oilers horrific power play this year and ridiculously low power play opportunities. If Draisaitl has his PP production from last year he's looking at an 85 point season (he has to actually go out and do it obviously, but its far more likely his PP production bounces back than it is to stay this low).

Marner could outproduce Draisaitl, but its far from being any more likely that he doesn't. Anyways, both are great talents and any team would be lucky to have them. Draisaitl is more valuable to the Oilers than Marner would be though so I'd stick with him.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Contracts aside b/c Marner will soon be getter a huge raise......Draisaitl is better “overall” player imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad