Value of: Marner Relative to Draisaitl **pleaes re-read OP POST**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Big Center is worth more than a winger. Of course right now drai is a hybrid.

He is also 2 years older i think with more experience and gets to play with the best player in the world half the time. And he is about 1-1.5 overpaid.

Iffffff drai is a 75 pt c who drives a line away from mcdavid. Definitely him. Even if Marner gets 80-90 pts.

However if Marner signs for 2 million less and keeps trending up I might take him. Even with the C bias.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Elite young C vs elite young centre. The C will win 9/10 unless the winger does something to really separate himself.
Marner could easily transition to Center if the Team had the need.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Whose the better player and whose more valuable?

Draisaitl as a 22 year old, this season, has posted 70 points.

Marner as a 19-20 year old, this season, has posted ~70 points.

Who do you think is the better player and has more value?

I think Marner would have to produce a fair amount more than Draisaitl to be more valuable. Being big and a centre* adds a far amount of value.

*Though it's still to be seen if he can be a dominate center on his own line.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Marner has more value (NHL GMs agree with me too). Drai has to have his hand held by McDavid in order to produce.

This is beyond stupid. Marner has Matthew's on his team. While they don't play together he draws top defensive pairings. Thus leading to padded stats for Marner. I give the nod to Drais due to size. Size matters.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Honestly if Oiler fans want to say Drai, be my guest. It just means Marner gets signed cheaper before he breaks out. Marner will have more points in a season than Drai without playing with McDavid. You can just see it. Marner would have almost 100 points if not for playing 4th line minutes and having no chemistry with Bozak.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Drai. If you look at the deadwood he had to carry for a large part of the season you would realize the point totals are skewed this year. not to mention size and position
Oh yeah, lugging that deadweight Mcdavid around 65% of the time(more on the PP) has got to be tiring.

I came into this thinking 'oh no, OP what have you done...Toronto's gonna get ripped apart again...
But I'm pretty sure after reading it all, there's no problem with voting for either person here..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Honestly if Oiler fans want to say Drai, be my guest. It just means Marner gets signed cheaper before he breaks out. Marner will have more points in a season than Drai without playing with McDavid. You can just see it. Marner would have almost 100 points if not for playing 4th line minutes and having no chemistry with Bozak.
Marner won't be signed based on Oiler fans impression of him.
If the Leafs signed players based on the thoughts of people on these boards they would struggle to make the cap floor.

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
People point out that Drai is a result of McDavid. Doesn't Drai for the most part center the 2nd line? Did the Oilers just finish 31st in power play %?

How is Drai a product of McDavid?

I like Marner and contract wise he has an edge in that way. Wingers are easier to replace though so in that regard I give the edge to Drai. Drai plays respectively defensively. Solid corsi. Solid face off %. Solid giveaway/takeaway ratio.

Just depends. A contender would value Marner extremely high. Drai would be harder to fit cap wise on a contender but I think you can build around him

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Draisaitl is likely the better player, but I don't think the gap is huge. Marner's caphit will be a big deciding factor - he probably gets signed for around 6.75M, because that's what the market for post-ELC RFAs, with the exception of Draisaitl, indicates.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Probably Leon. He's a much bigger and stronger player. Also chances are he could play C while marner won't.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
People point out that Drai is a result of McDavid. Doesn't Drai for the most part center the 2nd line? Did the Oilers just finish 31st in power play %?

How is Drai a product of McDavid?

I like Marner and contract wise he has an edge in that way. Wingers are easier to replace though so in that regard I give the edge to Drai. Drai plays respectively defensively. Solid corsi. Solid face off %. Solid giveaway/takeaway ratio.

Just depends. A contender would value Marner extremely high. Drai would be harder to fit cap wise on a contender but I think you can build around him
Drai plays with mcdavid 61 percent of the time at even strength. Also, to be very unproductive with mcdavid on the power play is somewhat concerning.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Both are fantastic players, but for me (biased perhaps) I'll take the center who plays in all situations.

Tied for 4th in short handed goals.

11th in faceoff % (minimum 500 FO, jumps to 7th with minimum 1000 FO) @ 56.1%

There's not really any mismatch stylistically for him.

Love Marner's game too though. Wish they could play together, think theyd compliment each other well.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Dari is currently a better player, mainly by virtue of position, but Marner holds more value due to contract position

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
Drai plays with mcdavid 61 percent of the time at even strength. Also, to be very unproductive with mcdavid on the power play is somewhat concerning.
Considering the power play is last in the league, McDavid gets his share of the blame in that as well. Can't abuse his speed like he is used to.

Also considering the tire fire that is the rest of the Oilers, it is hard to fault Drai. He had 70 points. The next Oilers had 48.

Reactions: wintersej

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
And 44% of the time at 5 on 5. McDavid was also very unproductive on the PP, is that concerning? Or perhaps its an anomaly given the PP production of both last season.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
#1C is too coveted of a position for Draisatl to not win this. Assuming Marner gets a Ehlers-Pastrnak type extension, he might be a more popular choice among teams thatare already strong at C for the ~2M in cap savings

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I want to see another season from Marner before making this choice.

Is the Marner from the 2nd half of this season the Marner we will see going forward? I take that over Draisaitl.

Is the Marner from the 1st half of the season the Marner we will see going forward? I take Leon over that Marner.

Is the real Marner somewhere in-between? I think its more of a toss-up, but would lean towards Draisaitl.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

The powerplay struggles are 100% on coaching.

Draisaitl had 27 powerplay points last season, this season he dropped to 11. He improved his even strength and short handed production but our idiot powerplay setup really hurt him and probably cost Connor another Hart.

With a decent powerplay - let’s say he came in flat to last season’s PP numbers - suddenly we’re talking about the 85 point player Oiler fans know he can be.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
He's obviously better defensively and physically while playing a much more important role and I think it's pretty clear he's a better offensive player that could change pretty soon cause he's ridiculous offensively

You would think with two such elite players the Oilers wouldn't be in the lottery again.....Marner's vision, hockey IQ and playmaking is much better than Drai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad