Value of: Marner Relative to Draisaitl **pleaes re-read OP POST**

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
The powerplay struggles are 100% on coaching.

Draisaitl had 27 powerplay points last season, this season he dropped to 11. He improved his even strength and short handed production but our idiot powerplay setup really hurt him and probably cost Connor another Hart.

With a decent powerplay - let’s say he came in flat to last season’s PP numbers - suddenly we’re talking about the 85 point player Oiler fans know he can be.

No, nothing could have won McDavid the Hart given how the Oilers don't have a legitimate roster to make the playoffs. Oilers have McDavid then big gap, Drai, then big gap, RNH and that's it. And then you have a couple of decent D. The team is absolute garbage.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Both are good young players, producing well in the roles they are given, but long term, I take the big bodied centre over the small winger 10/10. For Marner to be more valuable long term (ie, after that ELC is over), he would have to outproduce Draisaitl by a fair amount due to the size and strength factor.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Both great young players, but the edge goes to the centre until Mitchie puts up a ppg season, which i think he will be able to do next year

Marner put up 69 points after slumping for half a season which is pretty impressive, and its important to consider the fact that Marner has the ability to drive a line as a winger, making his value comparable to that of a centre...

If he signs a contract around 6.5 million/year (which is comparable to Pasta and Ehlers) his value instantly becomes higher than Drai's

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Draisaitl is a beast on the dot. Won 67% of the faceoffs in the last 20ish games... even though he started off crappy on the dot. He's going to be that WHL MVP type player in the future.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I love how Leafs fans only argument is "McDavid". Even though, all throughout the season, It's been proven that Marner relies on Matthews, more than Drai does with Connor.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
You know, I am a person who really tries to talk hockey, and really look at the whole picture. I talk to Habs fans, Bruins fans, Sabres fans etc. I get along with almost everyone.

The fan base I find that jumps down my throat are Oiler fans, many are just so dismissive, and for what? It's not like they have been better lately? or earned the right to boast?

It's baffling

To be fair, there's a handful of truly awful Leafs fans on these boards that you seem to see more often than the reasonable ones

Reactions: zar and DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
To be fair, there's a handful of truly awful Leafs fans on these boards that you seem to see more often than the reasonable ones

Oh for sure, and with so many of us it can be unbearable.

I just always hated that dismissive attitude from some of the Oiler fans. I mean both of our franchises have shit the bed over the years lol

But again, it's not everyone, only a handful as well. Many Oil fans have been great.

Reactions: Jared Dunn and zar

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Hard to measure.

One plays with McDavid half the time and bums the rest of the time, the other is always on the 2nd line.

The first is on a ****ty power play team the second is on one of the best.

One plays C half the time the other is always a RW.

One is big the other is a smurf.

One is overpaid the other on an ECL.

That last factor suggests to me Marner might have more trade value but Centres make the world go around so it depends on your teams situation. The Habs for example would probably pay more for Dra. The Penguins would probably rather have Marner.
How Draisaitl only plays centre "half the time" but leads the team in Faceoffs over the past two seasons is amazing :huh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
This is actually a tough one, good question to ask.

I do think Drai is a bit overrated, and Marner is really showing that he could be PPG over a full season next year in my opinion.

I always tend to still side with the centre, but Marner has looked REALLY elite the second half of the season. Maybe better to revisit next year.

if you are pepsi... you ask the question what is better pepsi or coke and you say its a good question

if you are coke you never mention the existence of coke

marner is elevated if he gets compared to draisailt... so connecting the two is something that benefits him

draisailt suffers because of this comparison... his side wouldn't even begin to consider this a valid conversation

coke never acknowledges that pepsi even exists

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I love how Leafs fans only argument is "McDavid". Even though, all throughout the season, It's been proven that Marner relies on Matthews, more than Drai does with Connor.
:laugh:

Jan 21, 2018
Elite young C vs elite young centre. The C will win 9/10 unless the winger does something to really separate himself.

Agreed but what relevance does that have here?

8M elite winger vs a very good winger who will probably sign under 6.5M.

Factoring in contract I'd pick Marner. IF Draisaitl were ever to be traded out of Edmonton, he would be my easy choice regardless of his overpaid contract.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Draisaitl is a beast on the dot. Won 67% of the faceoffs in the last 20ish games... even though he started off crappy on the dot. He's going to be that WHL MVP type player in the future.
you can't be a beast on the dot if you were crap at doing it in the beginning of the season

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed but what relevance does that have here?

8M elite winger vs a very good winger who will probably sign under 6.5M.

Factoring in contract I'd pick Marner. IF Draisaitl were ever to be traded out of Edmonton, he would be my easy choice regardless of his overpaid contract.

Draisaitl is not a winger. He is a centre that plays wing sometimes. He’s a very versatile player that is effective on the wing and at C.

I’m not sure why some Toronto fans have so much trouble with this relatively straightforward concept.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
marner has played 4 percent of his time with matthews. he's spent most of his time with kadri and marleau and bozak and jvr. all of those players are inferior to mcdavid.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Draisaitl is kind of a Bi-polar player. Sometimes hes Malkin, dominant on the puck and at other times he plays shy. If he can figure out how to bring it every single night, then this debate really wouldnt be close. For me its Draisaitl and i love me some Marner.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Draisaitl is not a winger. He is a centre that plays wing sometimes. He’s a very versatile player that is effective on the wing and at C.

I’m not sure why some Toronto fans have so much trouble with this relatively straightforward concept.
its because he plays with mcdavid most of the time and you can't have 2 centers on a line. one is a winger and one is a center and we all know mcdavid is the center

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
its because he plays with mcdavid most of the time and you can't have 2 centers on a line. one is a winger and one is a center and we all know mcdavid is the center

Well, no, no he doesn’t.

That isn’t how it works here. You’d have to watch Oiler games to understand.

Draisaitl will sometimes start a game on mcDavid’s wing, then ten minutes later centre his own line, which will last two periods, and then be back up with McDavid in the 3rd. Line combinations are a very fluid concept under Todd McLellan.

Even when he is playing with McDavid, he’ll be the one taking the draws and the centre’s defensive responsibilities. When the Oilers get the puck and head back up ice, McDavid becomes the C.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Well, no, no he doesn’t.

That isn’t how it works here. You’d have to watch Oiler games to understand.

Draisaitl will sometimes start a game on mcDavid’s wing, then ten minutes later centre his own line, which will last two periods, and then be back up with McDavid in the 3rd. Line combinations are a very fluid concept under Todd McLellan.

Even when he is playing with McDavid, he’ll be the one taking the draws and the centre’s defensive responsibilities. When the Oilers get the puck and head back up ice, McDavid becomes the C.
so half the time he plays as a C and half the time he plays as a winger? well considering he has spent most of his ice time with mcdavid, its easy to see why he is viewed as a winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad