Marner or Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
He played at a 90+ point pace with Kadri last year as well, do you consider Kadri elite?

Marner has always had the elite pedigree.

and Laine was scoring on 70 goal pace with Little as his centerman.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The difference is the Calder winner (AM34)from pattys draft year can play with anyone and make the line better. What we've seen with the runner up (patty) is he is heavily dependent on the power play and requires specific linemates for production. It's not a big deal that hes not on Matthews level but you pouting about it wont help your cause.

It was nice of you to explain it to the child.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
and Laine was scoring on 70 goal pace with Little as his centerman.

That has nothing to do with the post I'm replying to.

I'm not here to slag Laine, he's an elite player.

Just pointing out that Marner was playing at elite pace last year with Kadri, who I think we can all agree is not an elite centerman like John Tavares.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Easy question.

1 is EXTREMELY good at 1 thing, and very good at a lot of other things.

The other is EXTREMELY good at 1 thing, and useless at a lot of other things.

So you take the first one.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Quick question - if Laine is better than Marner and Scheifele is close to AM and Wheeler is way better than Nylander and Little is close to Kadri and Trouba is close to Rielly and Buff and Morrissey are way ahead of Leaf defencemen....etc

Why are we still better than Winnipeg?

We apparently legitimately have no players that ever win a comparison in the eyes of Winnipeg fans. Yet here we are, right at the top with them.

Maybe, just maybe, we aren’t overrating some of our players and they actually are good.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Marner has elite pedigree because he is an elite player. Just like Laine is.

I wonder if Marner appreciates having a great finisher on his line, unlike 90% of this board.

I'm thrilled to have Tavares, and I still think Tavares is the best player on his line.

Tavares is fantastic, thrilled to have him in blue & white.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
That has nothing to do with the post I'm replying to.

I'm not here to slag Laine, he's an elite player.

Just pointing out that Marner was playing at elite pace last year with Kadri, who I think we can all agree is not an elite centerman like John Tavares.

For how many games did he score on that pace then? 20?

season is 82 games long. Many players can score on a +90 point pace in a span of 20 games.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
is scoring 13 goals in 6 games, "driving a line?"
Not necessarily. I'm certainly not being derogatory towards Laine. I've watched every single goal he's ever scored and have watched him in 20 - 30 games of his career so far.

Laine is still very dependent on his line mates for success. I'm hoping that changes soon as he is probably this generations elite goal scorer and Winnipeg will need him to be the driving force on his own line if they are going to have future success.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Clearly Marner is an $11+ million player while Laine shouldn’t get less than $9 million.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
For how many games did he score on that pace then? 20?

season is 82 games long. Many players can score on a +90 point pace in a span of 20 games.

33 games, more games than either Marner or Laine have played this season.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
View attachment 162137
Luckily the objective of the game is scoring goals and not line driving.

It's a good thing SOMEONE is making all the plays happen, and getting the puck down to that end though, eh? Otherwise, not one goal would be scored. Laine would be trying to snipe from the other end of the ice to no avail. :)

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 11.29.10 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonleaffan

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I swear, if I read one more Laine thread I will climb a water tower with a high-calibre rifle and start picking people off.

pretty sure you're now on some list for this comment.....but i agree that this comparison is tired and been done several times already.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Quick question - if Laine is better than Marner and Scheifele is close to AM and Wheeler is way better than Nylander and Little is close to Kadri and Trouba is close to Rielly and Buff and Morrissey are way ahead of Leaf defencemen....etc

Why are we still better than Winnipeg?

We apparently legitimately have no players that ever win a comparison in the eyes of Winnipeg fans. Yet here we are, right at the top with them.

Maybe, just maybe, we aren’t overrating some of our players and they actually are good.

They're just generationally unlucky I guess.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I find it pretty impressive that despite all this Laine bashing on these boards, he is still at the top of that list.
Sometimes I find it hard to believe that he is still only 20, playing "bad" and being without a doubt the best goal scorer in the NHL.

Wonder what will happen if he has similar development step as for example MacKinnon had. I think it's fair to think so because there is so much room for improvement in his game.
I hear this a lot. Isn't that true for anyone not named Gretzky? And in that case I'd just get fourthliners since they have the most room for improvement.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Laine is such an enigma. He's the best shooter in the world, but the rest of the game is barely even NHL caliber.

Marner is one of the best offensive drivers in the world, it's him easily. He's right there with Gaudreau as the new Patty Kane, but is better defensively than either of those guys.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This is a dumb comparison , 2 totally different players . Marner works for Toronto and Laine works for Winnipeg , Toronto would never trade Marner and Winnipeg would never trade Laine . If either GM traded either player they would be out of a job .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad