Marner or Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Laine. Good playmakers are a dime a dozen. There are a lot less top end goal scorers

Just because something is more rare does not make it better, hence Marner being a better player than Laine. 39 points to 24 and Laine had 5 goals in one game. Marner is a much better possession and defensive player too, it's really not that close between them at the moment. In the future I think Laine will be a beast at his peak and possibly better than Marner, but right now I would not be happy if we traded Marner for Laine, put it that way.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I pick Laine, totally regardless of... like anything.

Even Marner would score double amount of goals, and x3 points I wouldn't pick him.

Same apply to every other players too, tho with case of Ovi I would contemplate little longer.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
6 goals, 33 assists vs. 21 goals, 3 assists? Obviously very different players. The thought of trading Marner for Laine popped into my head, then I wondered if I'd do that deal. Just curious and thought it might be an interesting discussion...
Why would you trade Marner for Laine?! Who's going to pass the puck to Laine once he gets here if Marner is gone?!

No, you trade Nylander (since he's shown he's not a team player), a 1st, some prospects and then maybe throw in Marleau or Hyman to sweeten the deal. And then you put Laine with Marner and Tavares and wait for the magic to happen!

And don't worry about Matthews. Matthews can do it all by himself since he's a super competitive stud and will outscore Laine anyway just to show he's the top guy and worthy of being picked first overall!

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Love Laine but he needs to work on a few things before I take him over Marner.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I said long ago that Matthews vs Laine isn't the real debate when comparing the two teams, it was always Matthews vs Scheifele and Laine vs Marner.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Hard to believe patty cant drive a line yet, 3rd full season and his production still depends on specific linemates to do the work. It's very clear hes starting to wear out his welcome in peg city. El Cap and the franchise 55 want no part of him 5v5 which is understandable. It's a shame patty hasnt matured yet, maybe another summer w Ratatula will help?

Reactions: DriveFor9th

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Depends on which team. If Toronto then no. They already have Matthews who is an equally good goalscorer. If Islanders (assuming they had Marner) then yes. Put Laine next to Barzal.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Depends on which team. If Toronto then no. They already have Matthews who is an equally good goalscorer. If Islanders (assuming they had Marner) then yes. Put Laine next to Barzal.

Team needs apply when it's close between two players. At this point in time you take Marner no matter what team you are, he can drive his own line at even strength, kill penalties and is one of the best in the world setting up on the powerplay.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Laine has most goals since entering the league so this seems a bit silly tbh.

No need for more marner threads

I find it pretty impressive that despite all this Laine bashing on these boards, he is still at the top of that list.
Sometimes I find it hard to believe that he is still only 20, playing "bad" and being without a doubt the best goal scorer in the NHL.

Wonder what will happen if he has similar development step as for example MacKinnon had. I think it's fair to think so because there is so much room for improvement in his game.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I think it's Marner right now but if/when Laine develops the ability to drive his own line this would probably be Laine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad