Proposal: Marner for McAvoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Oh yeah these 2 clubs will be making a blockbuster trade any day now . Give your head a shake

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Lmao at Toronto adding

Toronto would probably have to. Marner would play on the Bruins second line while McAvoy would be on your top pairing.

For these specific teams. McAvoy would have a bigger role on the Leafs than Marner would on the Bruins.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Toronto would probably have to. Marner would play on the Bruins second line while McAvoy would be on your top pairing.

For these specific teams. McAvoy would have a bigger role on the Leafs than Marner would on the Bruins.
Lol Marner scores 94 points this year, we wouldn't add lol. The correct answer is neither team does this

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Lol Marner scores 94 points this year, we wouldn't add lol. The correct answer is neither team does this

Leafs would do it, Bruins would not.

Marner would be the 3rd best winger on the Bruins behind Marchand and Pastrnak. You'd have to add if you wanted to get McAvoy.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto

Marner would be the 3rd best winger on the Bruins behind Marchand and Pastrnak. You'd have to add if you wanted to get McAvoy.
Debatable. I think if leafs were trading Marner, they would want a guy who’s played more than a career high 63 games. Marner is best winger on the leafs, who cares what he would be on the bruins, that doesn’t have any remote impact on Mariners value lmfao. Both teams would keep their guy

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Debatable. I think if leafs were trading Marner, they would want a guy who’s played more than a career high 63 games. Marner is best winger on the leafs, who cares what he would be on the bruins, that doesn’t have any remote impact on Mariners value lmfao. Both teams would keep their guy

It has a huge impact on Marners value when talking about the impact each player would make on each team.

Toronto would get Reilly's defense partner for the next decade, and instantly fix their cap issues for their 3rd best forward.

Boston would get their 4th best forward and lose their #1 defenseman.

It's a lot worse deal for the Bruins than the Leafs.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
It has a huge impact on Marners value when talking about the impact each player would make on each team.

Toronto would get Reilly's defense partner for the next decade, and instantly fix their cap issues for their 3rd best forward.

Boston would get their 4th best forward and lose their #1 defenseman.

It's a lot worse deal for the Bruins than the Leafs.
Why would the leafs trade Marner for less value just because he would be the third best winger on the bruins? Do you honestly understand how stupid that sounds? Jesus.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Why would the leafs trade Marner for less value just because he would be the third best winger on the bruins? Do you honestly understand how stupid that sounds? Jesus.

Because they'd fix their cap issues and also get a top pairing defense-man?

Why wouldn't they do that.

You'd have a top 4 of

Reilly/Mcavoy
Muzzin/Dermott

You could move Nylander up to Marners spot.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
They've made a few in the past decade.

Rask Trade
Kessel Trade
Kaberle Trade
The teams were at a different stage when most of those deals were made ( mainly the stage where the leafs were terrible )
But yeah you're right 2 teams in the same division making a serious bid for tops in that division will probably negotiate a big trade with each other

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

Thats certainly questionable. Marchand is better but won’t be for long. All-star voting this past year had Marner 3rd with 103 total votes. Pastrnak was 7th but only received 9 votes.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
As a Bruins fan, I probably make this trade 1-for-1 but I am not nearly as high on McAvoy as others are.

Despite leading the Bruins in TOI in the playoffs, I think McAvoy has a ways to go before he is a top tier defender in this league. Go back and watch the playoffs (especially the Finals) and watch how many times he and Chara were directly responsible for goals allowed...his defense is still pretty shaky and he goes through stretches (one of which was the Finals) where he is turnover prone in his own zone. He also hasn't shown consistent, game-breaking offense to make up for these shortcomings. With that said, he is still very young and could iron out these parts to his game...but he also might not and he is likely about to become one of the top 10-15 most expensive D's in the league.

Conversely Marner is much more of a sure thing and fills a need for Boston. My only concern is the contract...I don't know if I would be comfortable paying him $10M+ given the B's cap situation.

Overall, I think the Leafs need McAvoy (and the cap space) more than they need Marner given their current roster. For the Bruins, losing McAvoy would hurt but I think Cassidy's system lends itself better to being able to absorb the loss -- plus the B's issue in the Finals wasn't their defense, it was their inability to score goals and Marner would go a long way to helping in that department.
Some rational thinking.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
#1 winger >>> #1 dman every time.
There's a reason Rasmus Dahlin was ranked ahead of Andrei Svechnikov in last year's draft.

A #1 defenseman is the hardest thing to find in hockey, and he makes the entire team better...plus he plays the most minutes of anyone on the team.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You can tell that a lot of Leaf fans stopped watching the playoffs after the Bruins knocked them out. None of them saw how dominant McAvoy was, especially in the final. He's already better than Rielly and he's just scratching the surface.

Wingers are easy to come by (Panarin is a UFA). #1 defensemen are almost never available.

Lol just stop with that better than Rielly stuff.

Put McAvoy with Hainsey and see if he can carry him.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
This deal would never happen, but 1 for 1 as a Leafs fan, I would do it.

McAvoy even if considered a #2D still fills the Leafs BIGGEST need. A top pairing right handed defenseman. Plus, his salary demands I expect come in lower than Marner's asking price which saves the Leafs money to sign or trade for another defenseman.

I don't know about others but to me McAvoy at $7.5 is better than Marner at $10+.

Reactions: danpantz

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
There's a reason Rasmus Dahlin was ranked ahead of Andrei Svechnikov in last year's draft.

A #1 defenseman is the hardest thing to find in hockey, and he makes the entire team better...plus he plays the most minutes of anyone on the team.

F636xiP.gif

Also, technically goalies play the most minutes. :naughty:

Reactions: The Mad Titan

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017

r/woooosh

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
The Marner hype is getting out of hand. As a Leafs fan, I'm comfortable saying McAvoy might have been the best player in that 1st round series and definitely better than Marner
Not sure what you were watching. He had some good stretches but I thought he was much better before watching him closely in that series.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
This deal would never happen, but 1 for 1 as a Leafs fan, I would do it.

McAvoy even if considered a #2D still fills the Leafs BIGGEST need. A top pairing right handed defenseman. Plus, his salary demands I expect come in lower than Marner's asking price which saves the Leafs money to sign or trade for another defenseman.

I don't know about others but to me McAvoy at $7.5 is better than Marner at $10+.

Exactly. McAvoy would fit like a glove in that lineup.

Thank god it’s never in a million years going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad