Proposal: Marner for McAvoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Microcosm of every Leaf thread right here.

McAvoy a "decent" 2.... LOL :facepalm:
Low end 1 at best like I’ve said. I suppose you’re in the he’s the 2nd best D because he was the #1 on the cup finalists eh. Good logic.

And if the Leafs beat them in the first round he would be the 16th best right?

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Low end 1 at best like I’ve said. I suppose you’re in the he’s the 2nd best D because he was the #1 on the cup finalists eh. Good logic.

He’s only 21 years old. You already know how his career is going to go?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

But they lost. Yet again.

Looks like Marner's 4 points didn't quite break the games for Toronto. Almost like playmaking winger is a much less impactful position than a "low end" #1D who will cost much less to boot.

It's ok, plenty more series for Bruins to drill that fact in over and over.

Reactions: b in vancouver

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Who, other than you, has claimed he's "the second best D cause he was the #1 on the Cup finalist?"

You make up an absurd claim and then criticize the claim that you yourself have manufactured. Why even come here to discuss topics if you're going to create both ends of the debate all by yourself?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Wonder if these two were signed to identical dollar amounts if the argument would change for who would give up more.

Or if Marner played in Carolina.

As it stands it’s probably close. Boston can’t do it though as they don’t have the depth on that side to replace McAvoy.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Who, other than you, has claimed he's "the second best D cause he was the #1 on the Cup finalist?"

You make up an absurd claim and then criticize the claim that you yourself have manufactured. Why even come here to discuss topics if you're going to create both ends of the debate all by yourself?

Most ridiculous straw man I have seen on these boards. And I know that statement sounds like hyperbole...but...I can’t think of a worse one recently.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

It is something that is known as hyperbole. If you would like to read through the thread there are many Bruins fans who think McAvoy is automatically a great #1 Dman in the league because he played the most minutes on the Bruins and they made the Cup finals.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

I mentioned this kinda thing earlier in the thread. There's a host of argumentative styles that are designed to muddy the waters. 'False Equivalency', 'Gas-lighting', 'Sand-bagging', 'Appeal To Extremes', 'False Narratives', 'Creating A Non-Existent Narrative', etc. and there's multiple more but ... are we collectively getting that lazy nowadays?
We all use them sometimes but it's getting more and more ridiculous. It used to be if you were drunk or in an actual argument and were losing your cool or couldn't think of anything you'd say 'But...?' Now it's everywhere.

This is just hockey talk. We all see it in all of our other walks of life.
I don't care what you're talking about but slow it down, think it out, make a point, and stop with these ridiculous 'tricks' as they're honestly exhausting.

People want so desperately to 'Win' a discussion they have forgotten the the best part of having a discussion is actually listening - or even listening to the response of what people had about your self involved point.

Reactions: FerrisRox

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
But they lost. Yet again.

Looks like Marner's 4 points didn't quite break the games for Toronto. Almost like playmaking winger is a much less impactful position than a "low end" #1D who will cost much less to boot.

It's ok, plenty more series for Bruins to drill that fact in over and over.
Yes McAvoy carried the Bruins eh? You’d think he was like Pronger during the Oilers playoff run the way Bruins fans talk about him.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yes McAvoy carried the Bruins eh? You’d think he was like Pronger during the Oilers playoff run the way Bruins fans talk about him.

Nope only consistently played 23-25 minutes a game and more as they went deeper into the playoffs. Certainly nothing the Leafs need at RD, especially not at the expense of a 24 million dollar 2nd line :laugh:

Reactions: IcedJuicebox

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Nope only consistently played 23-25 minutes a game and more as they went deeper into the playoffs. Certainly nothing the Leafs need at RD, especially not at the expense of a 24 million dollar 2nd line :laugh:
The Leafs could definitely use that at RD. The Oilers could use it too, does that mean they should trade McDavid for McAvoy?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

You've used such inspiring logic yourself....

McAvoy is clearly a #1 and a franchise defenseman.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The Leafs could definitely use that at RD. The Oilers could use it too, does that mean they should trade McDavid for McAvoy?

No but given the opportunity they would certainly consider trading Drasaitl for him, and that's before getting into the fact that the Leafs have 2 forwards at Marner's level or better plus much more impactful forward depth, and that Drasaitl is a better player.

You really don't think Leafs would be better if they had McAvoy to pair with Rielly or anchor another 24 minute a game pair, signed Anders Lee with the cap savings and rolled a Lee-Tavares-Nylander 2nd line? What's the point of even having Tavares then :laugh:

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I’m very surprised at the high regard people are holding for him in this thread. To each their own.

What ranking in the league would you put him at?

Right now he is a #1. Not top 10 yet however that playoff run should have opened some eyes. He was fantastic. Top defensemen are difficult to rank after the top tier.

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
McAvoy is more valuable than Marner. As fun as it would be to watch Mitch in The Bruins top 6, having McAvoy and Carlo locking down RD is the kind of luxury very few (any) teams have.
The only way I'd consider a 1 for 1 swap is if McAvoy was terrible in the playoffs his first three seasons but it's been the opposite, if you couldn't see progression in his game but you can on a near nightly basis or if Boston had a tonne of trouble filling the rink as Marner would generate some buzz and get butts in the seat but they have no problem selling out.

I disagree. I think marner is more valuable. If marner was just any other right wing in the top 6, I would agree with you.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I disagree. I think marner is more valuable. If marner was just any other right wing in the top 6, I would agree with you.

I really like Marner. Pastrnak also. And there's few young forwards in the league I like watching more. If I was running a team that either needed to sell a couple more tickets or generate some excitement I'd fully consider a one-for-one deal. But if you're a good team that sells tickets - IMO a player like McAvoy simply helps you win more games than Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad