Proposal: Marner for McAvoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedJuicebox

Feb 2, 2019
I disagree. I think marner is more valuable. If marner was just any other right wing in the top 6, I would agree with you.
That's the thing though, marner is just another winger. He's one of the best in the league, but he's still a winger. Ovechkin is/was the most dominant goal scoring winger this league has ever seen, how much did he win before he got a team around him? Plus, you're paying Tavares all that money to do the things that he doesn't do, because he's still just another winger, and if he wasn't, what the hell is the point of having two first line level centers?

You have a glaring need, and one of the possible solutions is to trade a player that is going to cause you even more problems in the future in signing/retaining talent, and then after this contract is up, you have to do it allllllllllllllll over again, which next time will probably be as a ufa buying all his prime years, so it will only get worse still.

How anyone can look at marner and the context in his situation and say they wouldn't trade him for 10-15years of a #1d, plus that immensely valuable cap space, (which you guys just paid a 1st round pick to clear 1yr of 6 million for) is nothing short of insanity.

Edit: In a vacuum, you choose Marner, Marner is a better winger than McAvoy is a defenseman, absolutely. but he's still a winger. Does he deserve $10mill+, absolutely. But not on a team with a $7million player at the same position, and two $11million centers.

If nylander gets you a top pairing d man, trade him and keep marner, but he has to bounce back in a huge way for that to even be in the realm of possible.(which I honestly think he will.)

Last edited:

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
In his draft+3 year. Logic would tell you it is likely he ends up a top 10 D in the league when he reaches his prime. Boston sure as hell can't afford to move the heir to Chara.
Yet in Marner season + 3 season he is an all NHLer. If you want to play it that way you need to use the same rational.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
I really like Marner. Pastrnak also. And there's few young forwards in the league I like watching more. If I was running a team that either needed to sell a couple more tickets or generate some excitement I'd fully consider a one-for-one deal. But if you're a good team that sells tickets - IMO a player like McAvoy simply helps you win more games than Marner.
This is false and the hockey version of WAR has Marner ahead by a full 4 games.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
How embarrassing.

McAvoy had 1 powerplay point all year. Him and Chara get all the toughest matchups.
And Reilly gets to face 4th liners? And didn’t play with a similar grey beard? The fact that the Bruins think that there are better option on the power play is enough to tell you that Reilly is a true number 1 vs Mcavoy not so much. How embarrassing that your#1 only had 1 pp point all year.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
This is false and the hockey version of WAR has Marner ahead by a full 4 games.

I don't know what that means.
Top-flight young RHD are the unicorns of the NHL. Unless there's some warts or contractual problems, you don't move them for anything.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
I don't know what that means.
Top-flight young RHD are the unicorns of the NHL. Unless there's some warts or contractual problems, you don't move them for anything.
I didn’t say you should move him. I said that Marner is worth more as a winger who drive a a line, plays excellent defence and became a pretty good penalty killer this year. All as a 21/22 year old. I also said that Reilly is a true #1 while Mcavoy hasn’t attained that status as of yet. Not once did I say he was crap or even not a great player. In fact I said I would love him on the Leafs. Just not at the expense of Marner not to play ahead of Reilly. Neither makes any sense

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
And Reilly gets to face 4th liners? And didn’t play with a similar grey beard? The fact that the Bruins think that there are better option on the power play is enough to tell you that Reilly is a true number 1 vs Mcavoy not so much. How embarrassing that your#1 only had 1 pp point all year.

I think you got to see a pretty good close-up of why the Bruins play Krug for most of the poweplay.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
I think you got to see a pretty good close-up of why the Bruins play Krug for most of the poweplay.
No doubt, but the fact that Mcavoy doesn’t get that 1pp time shows that he just isn’t at that status... yet. Could he get there? Absolutely. Tagging him as the second coming and More valuable than a true superstar winger... just wreaks of homerism...

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Not sure we have the space for McAvoy's face on the leafs. Looks like a blowfish on skates

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
No doubt, but the fact that Mcavoy doesn’t get that 1pp time shows that he just isn’t at that status... yet. Could he get there? Absolutely. Tagging him as the second coming and More valuable than a true superstar winger... just wreaks of homerism...

Your point makes no sense. Krug is a top 3-5 pp QB in the league.

It's like saying Marner isn't an elite winger because he's not on PK1

Reactions: EON and SHANNYPLAN

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yet in Marner season + 3 season he is an all NHLer. If you want to play it that way you need to use the same rational.
In Marner's +3 season he scored 69 points, and in no way did my post ever aim to degrade Marner. He's an elite winger, but he's just that a winger and Boston needs McAvoy a hell of a lot more than they need another elite winger. They already have 2 elite wingers and nothing to replace McAvoy. They decline this without a second thought.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I didn’t say you should move him. I said that Marner is worth more as a winger who drive a a line, plays excellent defence and became a pretty good penalty killer this year. All as a 21/22 year old. I also said that Reilly is a true #1 while Mcavoy hasn’t attained that status as of yet. Not once did I say he was crap or even not a great player. In fact I said I would love him on the Leafs. Just not at the expense of Marner not to play ahead of Reilly. Neither makes any sense

I meant, I honestly don't know what 'WAR has Marner ahead by a full four games.' means. Was something I didn't understand. If you want to explain what that means I'm happy to read.
No problem people preferring Marner. I simply disagree that he's worth more - in a trade scenario

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
As a longtime Avs fan whose team suffered for years without a legitimate D corps, I think the Bruins would be nuts to make this trade. You have a keeper in McAvoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad