Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrunbeldDragonKnight

Jun 14, 2019
Offer 8 years at 9 Million take it or leave it. Isn't worth a penny more. If he doesn't take it find the worst possible team to ship him to.

GrunbeldDragonKnight

Jun 14, 2019
Why would Marner accept a Skinner contract?

He shouldn't be. Skinner isn't a comparable, Marner hasn't even come close to scoring 40 goals. Nonetheless, Marner hasn't been beyond the first round of the playoffs. He is worth slightly less than Kutcherov, who had 35 more points.

I am sick and tired of this team being held hostage by player wage demands. We need to be a lot more Boston and ruthlessly expel players that do not bleed for the crest at the front of the jersey. None of these kids have sacrificed anything to show me they belong here... they sure talk a big game though. I guess this is what happens when you have a social justice crusader running the team giving undeserving players verbal no trade clauses.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Nylander did NOT have 3 60+ point seasons....

Ehlers U21 season > Nylanders U21 season
Ehlers U22 season = Nylanders U22 season

They're great comparables.

Nylander is not better than Ehlers.

Sure, he just produced more before they signed their respective contracts :dunno: Unless what you're trying to say is that Ehlers produces more on the PP than Nylander does 5v5 and I guess you got me there, but it won't factor into their contracts.

Reactions: kb

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He shouldn't be. Skinner isn't a comparable, Marner hasn't even come close to scoring 40 goals. Nonetheless, Marner hasn't been beyond the first round of the playoffs. He is worth slightly less than Kutcherov, who had 35 more points.

I am sick and tired of this team being held hostage by player wage demands. We need to be a lot more Boston and ruthlessly expel players that do not bleed for the crest at the front of the jersey. None of these kids have sacrificed anything to show me they belong here... they sure talk a big game though. I guess this is what happens when you have a social justice crusader running the team giving undeserving players verbal no trade clauses.

Skinner is better than Marner. :laugh:

The bitterness some of you are showing towards Marner is downright sad.

GrunbeldDragonKnight

Jun 14, 2019
Bitterness that we don't have a fetish for certain players and prefer to cheer for the team that represents our city? Sure dude.

GrunbeldDragonKnight

Jun 14, 2019
Favoring Marner over Jeff Skinner isn't a fetish.

It's what 99% of the hockey world thinks.

That other 1% should probably find another hobby than spouting nonsense like that on the internet.

Dude... You brought up Skinner, not me. Skinner is a figure skater.

If you think that Marner is worth superstar money than you are delusional. If this team had any balls they would offer him 8 or 8.5 and stick with that. 99% percent of Stanley Cup winners don't have four players take up almost 60 percent of the cap. If you think you can improve the team without getting rid of at least one of Nylander or Marner you are delusional and can't be helped.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Patrick Kane is the true RFA & 2nd contract Marner comparable ceiling, and Kane put up better results and stats (under a lower scoring NHL), which got him a 2nd contract of 5 year $31.5 mil deal @ $6.3 mil AAV and 11.09% C.H.%

Using 10% (slightly less than Kane) as the CH % then on a 2019-20 $83 mil salary cap that puts Marner on a 5 year $41.5 mil @ $8.3 mil AAV.

The numbers however being tossed around for Marner are +$10.5 mil on a 5 year deal which is over > $2 mil more than Patrick Kane and 12.65 C.H.%.

Or as William Shakespeare would say "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" here.

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If Patrick Kane is the true RFA & 2nd contract Marner comparable ceiling, and Kane put up better results and stats (under a lower scoring NHL), which got him a 2nd contract of 5 year $31.5 mil deal @ $6.3 mil AAV and 11.09% C.H.%

Using 10% (slightly less than Kane) as the CH % then on a 2019-20 $83 mil salary cap that puts Marner on a 5 year $41.5 mil @ $8.3 mil AAV.

The numbers however being tossed around for Marner are +$10.5 mil on a 5 year deal which is over > $2 mil more than Patrick Kane and 12.65 C.H.%.

Or as William Shakespeare would say "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" here.

wat, Kane's post-ELC contract is an easy floor for Marner.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Dude... You brought up Skinner, not me. Skinner is a figure skater.

If you think that Marner is worth superstar money than you are delusional. If this team had any balls they would offer him 8 or 8.5 and stick with that. 99% percent of Stanley Cup winners don't have four players take up almost 60 percent of the cap. If you think you can improve the team without getting rid of at least one of Nylander or Marner you are delusional and can't be helped.
Perhaps you have a reading comprehension issue. Skinner just signed for 9MM. Marner aint taking that.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Can't really compare Skinner and Marner. Skinner was a UFA. Buffalo is also desperate and have to severely overpay to keep guys. $9.5mil/year for Marner tops. But in the world of Dubas he will get $55mil/5 years

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

He wants to be the highest paid winger in the league eh?

"leafs need to offer $10.5 to get the discussion going"? Ludicrous that's the ceiling. If true, and this is dreger who doesn't have sources of course, then trade is our best option. If true and Marner thinks his floor is $10.5M that is it start making calls.

Again Dreger though he has 0 sources. Wouldn't surprise me if he asked Nonis his thoughts and that's his source "a GM told me that marner wont listen to offers less than $10.5M" nonis was a gm so not a "lie"

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
f*** you Dreger you know nothing
You won't get that juicy bonus Ferris promised. I also hope you are reading this.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Somehow Dreger also completely avoids term in all of his contract babble. 10.5 over 8 years, or over 5 years? Regardless, if that's the base to "get discussions going" it seems like they're priced out of this team.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's fairly wise to wait until we know the upper cap limit.

If it's less than 82M, as McKenzie speculated this morning, then that's another factor. Everyone to this point was expecting 83M, and planning for 82M at worst.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Somehow Dreger also completely avoids term in all of his contract babble. 10.5 over 8 years, or over 5 years? Regardless, if that's the base to "get discussions going" it seems like they're priced out of this team.

10.5 x 8 is bad but acceptable. Any less than 8 years and it's a joke.

What does it matter, Ferris and Paul seem to be sure someone's going to offer him 12.5+.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
"leafs need to offer $10.5 to get the discussion going"? Ludicrous that's the ceiling. If true, and this is dreger who doesn't have sources of course, then trade is our best option. If true and Marner thinks his floor is $10.5M that is it start making calls.

Again Dreger though he has 0 sources. Wouldn't surprise me if he asked Nonis his thoughts and that's his source "a GM told me that marner wont listen to offers less than $10.5M" nonis was a gm so not a "lie"

Gonna be difficult to find a team willing to pay his ask. Same was true in Nylander case. Funny how the talk in NBA free agency is that some players are willing to take discounts to play with other stars. Not the case in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille