Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Less than 2 weeks to camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Tavares has been a top 10 centre n the league since his devit and has a lonng documented history of boosting his linemates production.

Yes Marner made an impact but he was hardly the only one driving that the line.
Did you watch the playoffs when TJ attempted to drive the line and not pass the puck to the player who drove the line all year. Proof positive that Mitch was the engine on that line.

Reactions: hotpaws

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You can tell so many never watched JT before last year. They go " Oh Marner set up his tap ins". Sure, but that's what you guys miss. Tavares is so elite because he can be the finisher like that, or he can be the setup man. He can play with any set of wingers. Marner is a pure playmaking winger. He will never be the triggerman.

Reactions: Go4soda and biotk

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Not exactly good news, but probably better than the rumors that the Leafs are about to sign a stupid deal. If they go short term with Marner it has to be maximum around 8 million per year.

Reactions: SAMCRO44 and biotk

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
We keep hearing this 3x9.5 and nobody wants to believe it, but when is the last time things like that get out and its actually way off? I'm bracing for an over pay but in the end I'll be fine because we have a great team and should be able to keep it together anyway. No doubt were a cup contender with this group...

That being said I'd much rather a 6 year deal between 10 and 10.5 than that awful bridge. If I had to choose...

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I leave this page and detach. Its all good. The point was simply changes were made that never got taken into account for contracts. They should have. Dubas dropped the ball, fans pay the price. Odds of winning go down a lot with every overpay. 5m could mean keeping Rielly or Sandin or more immediately Barrie. We are as of today paying 3 1sts + to have Muzzin and Barrie +Marleau cap. Basically we better win it this year. Next year cap is worse for us, trade more 1sts for discount D??? We are about to bleed out our assets...

It's not ideal but this is the same situation every good team finds themselves in, would it be better if we got to wait until everyone hit UFA and they all took sweetheart deals now? Sure, but it's not feesable. Morgan Rielly will not be a cap casualty, that is fear mongering. You hope to retain at least one of Muzzin or Barrie and if Sandin or Liligren pan out you have a decent d core nucleus. I don't love the burning of first round picks but it's hardly do or die time, all the Leafs need to do is cycle in cheap depth which every front office should be able to do, especially a loaded one like Toronto who can have the best in scouting.

Even if Marner signs for 3 years we will have 8 top 9 forwards locked up for that time, honestly not that dire. This isn't cap hell, this is the cost of having a good roster, cap hell is in Edmonton, the team sucks and they have no money to improve with.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not exactly good news, but probably better than the rumors that the Leafs are about to sign a stupid deal. If they go short term with Marner it has to be maximum around 8 million per year.

Deep down we all know this will be a stupid deal, if not, a stupid trade. We know this, we do, we do.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There are few trade suggestions (not going to call rumors) out by different sports writers, so my question would be if we really out of options and have no choice but to trade him

What kind of package you would be willing to accept? and what teams can afford Marner and would offer us the acceptable package

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Rumors are indeed interesting.

On one hand, the sooner this business is finished the better. It has the potential to become pretty nasty for the team if it were to continue into the season - not something you want hanging over the dreasibgroom

9.5 (if true) then Dubas definitely deserves some criticism. On the positive side it gives management and player a few years to repair the relationship (which by some accounts seemed strained) AND it's a number that comfortably fits.under the cap. That said, if true its a sign that Marner was unwilling to compromise and, I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortably betting 100% that Marner will still be a Leaf in 4 years. If Ferris starts to askingfor 13-15 mil a season than he can be shipped off for assets. Or if he can prove to be indispensable than hes reaignedd no problem.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

Well that's good at least. Dubas should absolutely dig in.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's not ideal but this is the same situation every good team finds themselves in, would it be better if we got to wait until everyone hit UFA and they all took sweetheart deals now? Sure, but it's not feesable. Morgan Rielly will not be a cap casualty, that is fear mongering. You hope to retain at least one of Muzzin or Barrie and if Sandin or Liligren pan out you have a decent d core nucleus. I don't love the burning of first round picks but it's hardly do or die time, all the Leafs need to do is cycle in cheap depth which every front office should be able to do, especially a loaded one like Toronto who can have the best in scouting.

Even if Marner signs for 3 years we will have 8 top 9 forwards locked up for that time, honestly not that dire. This isn't cap hell, this is the cost of having a good roster, cap hell is in Edmonton, the team sucks and they have no money to improve with.

Our only legit defender is Morgan. Outside that we have rentals, what's next rookie D core contender? Its bad

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

On one hand, the sooner this business is finished the better. It has the potential to become pretty nasty for the team if it were to continue into the season - not something you want hanging over the dreasibgroom

9.5 (if true) then Dubas definitely deserves some criticism. On the positive side it gives management and player a few years to repair the relationship (which by some accounts seemed strained) AND it's a number that comfortably fits.under the cap. That said, if true its a sign that Marner was unwilling to compromise and, I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortably betting 100% that Marner will still be a Leaf in 4 years. If Ferris starts to askingfor 13-15 mil a season than he can be shipped off for assets. Or if he can prove to be indispensable than hes smreaigned no problem.
My hope if we do a bridge is that a bit of maturity and some hard losses make him understand that winning is not easy without a supporting cast and he buys into a team mentality before the contract is up. Probably fantasy though...

Reactions: Menzinger

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Marner drove the bus on that line and the powerplay and the penalty kill. Stop running him down because he is going to make some large coin if you like it or not.

Everyone knows he was better or equally as good as Matthews for the past season and a half. Right around the time lunatic took him off the fourth line ha. Babs likely saved us a fortune holding him back. Just sayin

Well this is just disingenuous. Marner had a very brief stint on the 4th line and has gotten placed in probably the best position to succeed offensively out of the kids. Sheltered top powerplay minutes with Bozak and JVR and then joined at the hip with a franchise center. I don't necessarily disagree with your point but to suggest Marner of all people had his point totals sandbagged down is absurd.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Our only legit defender is Morgan. Outside that we have rentals, what's next rookie D core contender? Its bad

Well we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Without Dubas acquiring Barrie and Muzzin we'd already be there and you are saying we have to win next year, the internal logic here just does not hold up whatsoever.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sanding and Lijgren are two of.the better defensive prospects currently not in the NHL and the team also has Dermott.... so whats the issue?

I absolutely agree but they are not contender ready. The timing is off, look obviously this team is going to see big trades. Its done.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well this is just disingenuous. Marner had a very brief stint on the 4th line and has gotten placed in probably the best position to succeed offensively out of the kids. Sheltered top powerplay minutes with Bozak and JVR and then joined at the hip with a franchise center. I don't necessarily disagree with your point but to suggest Marner of all people had his point totals sandbagged down is absurd.

Marner had like 2 goals in his first 30ish games of that sophomore season
There were even serious (albeit stupid) threads on these boards suggesting he be demoted to the Marlies. Whch goes.to show how. Some folks around here viewed his level of play.

But this board seems suffer from selective amnesia where people th m thag only the good things their favourite player does counts.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Did you watch the playoffs when TJ attempted to drive the line and not pass the puck to the player who drove the line all year. Proof positive that Mitch was the engine on that line.

JT pissed me off when he tried to go through 2 to 3 bruins all by himself only to lose the frekain' puck. Absolutely stupid by JT there

Reactions: diceman934

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

9.5 (if true) then Dubas definitely deserves some criticism. On the positive side it gives management and player a few years to repair the relationship (which by some accounts seemed strained) AND it's a number that comfortably fits.under the cap. That said, if true its a sign that Marner was unwilling to compromise and, I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortably betting 100% that Marner will still be a Leaf in 4 years. If Ferris starts to askingfor 13-15 mil a season than he can be shipped off for assets. Or if he can prove to be indispensable than hes reaignedd no problem.

Dubas bought it on himself with how he handled nylander situation and the inflated contract given to matthews for a 5 year term.

This season Matthews will be effectively the highest AAV on the team and the 3rd highest AAV in the league; Matthews has gotta out produce Tavares and Marner this season; if he doesn't both dubas and matthews are going to be called out in the media

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
My hope if we do a bridge is that a bit of maturity and some hard losses make him understand that winning is not easy without a supporting cast and he buys into a team mentality before the contract is up. Probably fantasy though...

@Kamiccolo has posted that Marner was willing to take less; but since both nylander and matthews didn't take less -> marner also decided to take the big crunch out of that salary cap pie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad