Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Less than 2 weeks to camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Deep down we all know this will be a stupid deal, if not, a stupid trade. We know this, we do, we do.
No, we don't know ****.

I actually think it's going to be a good deal for the leafs.
And a trade is 100% out of the question.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
LOL dreger is trending on twitter :laugh:

HOLY CRAP

:biglaugh:

Not worth reading they suggest speculate and one day some thing might come true. I think we all can come up with some kind of speculation :laugh:

He does not have any thing to talk about but still has a job that he has to justify

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
EDkdZoKW4AE_eSO.jpg

fraternizing with the enemy there mitch.

#notcool

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Would you rather him sit out?

It's debatable, you can talk about winning but that contract would be beyond disgusting, At some point you need to show some backbone because the cap isn't unlimited and setting new contract precedents doesn't seem to me as a good way to remain competitive

9.5 x 3 is pretty terrible.

Pretty? What's worse than horrendous? :laugh:

Reactions: kb and TML Dynasty

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If anything Id rather trade him than give out that absurd rumoured 3 year deal.

The question is would whomever comes in be worth it in terms of going for it right now? At this point in the offseason I just cannot see the Leafs winning a trade that involves Marner with the mentality that they need to win nowish.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Apparently CJ said that he doesn't think a deal is close, and that both sides are still stuck in. Sounds like the 9.5x3 is from Marner's camp. (and that coming from Dreger kinda hints at that as well).

We'll see

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Dubas & Shanahan need to be fired straight away if they give Marner that absurd 3 year deal.
I agree they should be fired.

But at this point I am also ok with that deal.

When Tavares signed last July, I thought the leafs were pretty much a lock as a cup contender for the next 7 years. But I really had NO idea how badly Dubas would screw up all of the young guys contracts.

What's happened since has been absolute mayhem.

At this point, I think the leafs "elite" window is now only a few years. Dubas made his bed with his previous rfa contracts. I just don't see how Marner (the "arguably" best of the 3) would take anywhere near fair market value when the other didn't.

It is what it is. I'm guessing it's ego, and Marner simply won't sign with the leafs unless he's in line with the Matthews contract. Over 3 years, that's at least 9.5

So whatever. It is what it is. Sign Marner to 9.5x3, and the leafs window is only 3 years. C'est la vie.

If the leafs win the cup during that time, Dubas is a genius. If they don't get anywhere close, Dubas will be fired for the overpayments. And when the new gm comes in, he'll have to make it clear that there's a new sheriff in town when it comes to contracts.

Just get it done. We've learned from Nylander that players will be atrocious if they miss camp/preaseason/beginning of the season (even though that's never really happened other than with Nylander). And we already have Dermott and Hyman who will have write-off years for it. It can't be Marner as well.

9.5x3 for Marner. And Dubas is fired if the leafs aren't elite.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Apparently CJ said that he doesn't think a deal is close, and that both sides are still stuck in. Sounds like the 9.5x3 is from Marner's camp. (and that coming from Dreger kinda hints at that as well).

We'll see

That would certainly fit well in with the leaks so far. Which have clearly been pushing one side of things.

Sounds like folks need to calm down and wait for somebody in the media who at least has a shred of credibility left to comment on it

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
We keep hearing this 3x9.5 and nobody wants to believe it, but when is the last time things like that get out and its actually way off? I'm bracing for an over pay but in the end I'll be fine because we have a great team and should be able to keep it together anyway. No doubt were a cup contender with this group...

That being said I'd much rather a 6 year deal between 10 and 10.5 than that awful bridge. If I had to choose...
Before Matthews signed, most people were saying things like 11x8 as a reasonable contract. Something like 11.6x5 would have been seen as outrageous.

Then, about a week before he signed his contract, there were "rumors" of 13x5. Everybody lost their collective minds. But on and on the rumors went.

So when he actually did sign for 11.6x5, everyone was like "meh, not great, but could be worse."

We were VERY carefully controlled. Make no mistake. And the same thing is happening right now with Marner.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Mark stone will be $9,500,000 to begin his contract with vegas this season. Marner is not worth that much and stone is. You are all out of line

P.Kane gets $10,500,000 now for years! His first 9 seasons in the league he never beat Marners 94 pts. Yeah just some perrrspkative

Marner is worth 9.5 and if as some of you are in here saying thats wrong. You better do some comparables first. Kane has been making that for 5 darn years. This thread is so off

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

We'll see

I hope so Cor, I don't want to go full Throw More Waffles :laugh: but I may have to at 9.5M×3

Reactions: TML Dynasty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia