Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I just think people are getting way to over sensitive about it. He isn't signed but there are also 5-8 other high quality RFAs not signed.
You're right, but he's saying the other RFAs aren't following suit. They don't play games in the media like Marner's camp (Mitch, Ferris, Paul, Dreger) and all the other shit that has come up. It's all hush hush behind doors. Professional. Haven't heard anything to the level of Marner with all the offer sheet nonsense and Matthews comparable.

Reactions: kb, IPS and biotk

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Oh no, not you too :shakehead

A player is negotiating a new contract in the offseason. Chill.

i am quite chill.

I personally, and I've said this in regards to any player (so i am just being consistent here). Mitch negotiating his contract and taking his sweet time, is preventing the leafs from doing what they need to do to make them better. and there is no indication (at all) that this is going to be done by training camp, thus - this will be hampering the team to get ready and make sure they can put their best foot forward. - not just for the first two-three weeks but you know in november etc. especially when we just went through this last year with Nylander, we know how if this stretches longer it's a huge distraction and it will impact Mitch too.

sorry i'm team first, i always have been, and i say this in regards to any player - not just Leafs but others as well, so just because i happen to like mitch i'm not going to change my tune here. if he wants to be paid, cool. trade him to a team who will overpay him and let's move on.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
i am quite chill.

I personally, and I've said this in regards to any player (so i am just being consistent here). Mitch negotiating his contract and taking his sweet time, is preventing the leafs from doing what they need to do to make them better. and there is no indication (at all) that this is going to be done by training camp, thus - this will be hampering the team to get ready and make sure they can put their best foot forward. - not just for the first two-three weeks but you know in november etc. especially when we just went through this last year with Nylander, we know how if this stretches longer it's a huge distraction and it will impact Mitch too.

sorry i'm team first, i always have been, and i say this in regards to any player - not just Leafs but others as well, so just because i happen to like mitch i'm not going to change my tune here. if he wants to be paid, cool. trade him to a team who will overpay him and let's move on.

And let’s not forget his camp’s negotiating tactics.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Can't help but wonder if the negotiations would be going differently if we still had Lou at the helm. I can't imagine that he'd be willing to put up with any bullshit from the likes of Darren Ferris or Paul Marner.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Can't help but wonder if the negotiations would be going differently if we still had Lou at the helm. I can't imagine that he'd be willing to put up with any bull**** from the likes of Darren Ferris or Paul Marner.

You mean the guy who just gave a 27 year old Brock Nelson, who has 1 season with more than 45 points 6 million dollars per year?

Reactions: Lauro

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Who cares...the leafs are getting ready to hit the ice that's all that matters. I love marner but he isn't our team, leafs will always be the leafs, that's what I love. If marner wants to be part of that great, if not the leafs will still be hitting the ice next week so GO LEAFS GO!

Reactions: TMLuniverse

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Why didn't Kap and Johnsson do it?

Like cmon lol. They sky is always falling.

did i say the sky is falling?
Dermott is being groomed here to be the #2 defenseman on a team that everyone knows is weak defensively. (and will have like. 1 defenseman or whatever). so if Dermott wants to get paid - he knows he can hold out. Did i say he will? no.

And let’s not forget his camp’s negotiating tactics.

to be honest with you, i took a very big long break from anything everything hockey this summer (including being here) so i don't know what this camps negotiating tactics are so i don't have an opinion on them either way because i'm not aware of what they were/are.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
You mean the guy who just gave a 27 year old Brock Nelson, who has 1 season with more than 45 points 6 million dollars per year?

True. Lou has signed his share of stinker contracts. I was sort of just musing about whether they perhaps see Dubas as a soft touch due to his relative youth and inexperience? Whereas Lou is a HHoFer and a grizzled veteran of the industry. In the end it probably doesn't mean much though.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
True. Lou has signed his share of stinker contracts. I was sort of just musing about whether they perhaps see Dubas as a soft touch due to his relative youth and inexperience? Whereas Lou is a HHoFer and a grizzled veteran of the industry. In the end it probably doesn't mean much though.

Yeah I figured. I guess I just like answering questions with questions sometimes lol

My personal read is that is probably doesn't make all that much difference.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
did i say the sky is falling?
Dermott is being groomed here to be the #2 defenseman on a team that everyone knows is weak defensively. (and will have like. 1 defenseman or whatever). so if Dermott wants to get paid - he knows he can hold out. Did i say he will? no.

to be honest with you, i took a very big long break from anything everything hockey this summer (including being here) so i don't know what this camps negotiating tactics are so i don't have an opinion on them either way because i'm not aware of what they were/are.
You didn't miss anything. They haven't been quoted as saying anything since last season after Matthews signed.
It's all just speculation and beliefs.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
At this stage, the Leafs need to trade him to some dump in south USA and show that they're not pushovers. This is a dangerous precedent they're setting for all their future restricted free agents.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
At this stage, the Leafs need to trade him to some dump in south USA and show that they're not pushovers. This is a dangerous precedent they're setting for all their future restricted free agents.
If they're showing they are willing to cater to a player who leads the team in scoring two years a row, that's a precedence I'm willing to set. ;)

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
If they're showing they are willing to cater to a player who leads the team in scoring two years a row, that's a precedence I'm willing to set. ;)
Except the Nylander situation showed that's not the presedence they're setting. Anyone can take Dubas for a ride, and they all know it.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Except the Nylander situation showed that's not the presedence they're setting. Anyone can take Dubas for a ride, and they all know it.
Kapanen and Johnsson didn't. All the UFA signings didn't.

And as has been pointed out by others, the first 2 RFA contracts were within historical comparables. They just aren't anywhere near discounts.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
You make a good point.

Lol nope...Nylander signing for 300k ish more than hes "worth," isn't taking Dubas to the cleaners. The negative aspect was admitted by player and GM. Both agreed it could've been done before camp for what he signed for. Meaning Dubas didn't fold, Nylander folded if anything and both met I guess in the middle but we dont know the other offers.

Point is 300k ish above worth is peanuts. And AMs deal will look amazing IF he can stay healthy ..that's the big part missing 30ish games and still scoring at his clip is nuts..imagine he doesnt miss those games

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Marner, what a disappointment.

Matthews for Captain.

Yup...its all his fault. Let's remember Dubas vs Nylander. And after the dust settled both sides this offseason, said the same. The deal he signed could've got done before camp, both sides learnt a lot. 300k ish above said market value is nothing.

Facts we know about Marner camp vs Dubas;

Marner open to LT or shorter term. Nylander dead set on LT as per Tim and Sid sit down with Kyle.

They've talked a lot especially recently.

There are 5 to 6 other high end RFAs zero have signed.

The $ figures are media guesses not fact.

So if Marner is so bad then trade Laine, Point, Raatenen, Connor, Boeser I guess eh

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
My guess is still that Marner's camp is being deliberately impossible just so Marner can step in before the season and take a lesser deal to get it done. And I think that deal is what they've had in mind for a while now. It would look good on Marner even if he's actually getting more than he perhaps deserve.

This fits with the constant barrage of rumors we've had all offsesson regarding sky high demands.

Float the suggestion 11.6×5 and all of a sudden 10.5x6 or 8.5/9x3 looks like a discount in comparison when the deal is eventually inked

Reactions: Nithoniniel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad