Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You know, if I am already paying 9.5 for 3 years, I'd rather just give him 11 but say he needs to take 6 years. Yes it sucks, but it buys 3 more years, and 2 UFA years. It makes our window the next 5 years instead of the next 3. And honestly, within a year the cap will go up by 2M anyways offsetting it.

In a few years, seattle comes in and a new TV happen, and the Leafs have a ton of cap space and 2-3 years left on these guy's deal. If we just stay at 9.5 x 3, he'll want a massive raise when the cap goes up and honestly, what's the difference between 9.5 and 11? A 4th liner? Losing Muzzin? If you really need to, you can always move Hyman or Kapanen to keep Muzzin if you know you have solid wing depth.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Literally nothing interesting happened from mid July to the beginning of September across the NHL, probably until mid September (2 full months)

Don't know how ppl stay seriously engaged in this stuff during the summer.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I thought Matthews contract was close to fair but absolutely no bargain whatsoever. If Mitch signs for 3 x 9.5 I guess it shows that Dubas values Mitch close to Matthews level. Not sure if Mitch can live up to a contract like that but if not he won’t have a big raise in three years.
Mitch would have to sign for around 14.5 per year in his next contract to recoup what Auston made during his 5 year contract

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
My question is, if Marner is signed to a bridge deal, do you still give him the prime assignments to pile on the points, or do you let him sink or swim trying to carry his own line? If the guy thinks he's Connor McDavid, don't you just throw up to the wolves and see if he can spark up a third line that has the fire power of a first line?

You play him where it benefits the team the most.

Playing "games" is stupid. The goal is to win a Cup, not screw over the player and team to lower salary half a decade from now.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Can we stop talking about 9.5 x 3 in this thread?

It's a Dreger hot take.

Someone tell me the last time Dreger has been correct on anything marner related. And some around here just lap up any garbage he spews.
Stop with Dreger

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Around 8.8mm per year on 6 years.

That is 25% greater than Nylander

Marner's PPG is .93 for his career.
Nylander's PPG was .75 for his career at signing.

Do that math ...

Oufff you are going to have your jaw hit the floor if you're expecting these numbers

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
What the concensus on what is appropriate AAV for a three year deal?
7-7.5 on a three year deal, has to be some benefit to us going short term. Still puts him ahead of Nylander but with half the term.

Would allow us to add another decent piece to the roster as well.

Anything that is 6 years or more I don't care about the AAV just get it done.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Around 8.8mm per year on 6 years.

That is 25% greater than Nylander

Marner's PPG is .93 for his career.
Nylander's PPG was .75 for his career at signing.

Do that math ...

I wouldn't be upset at that deal.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
It frustrates me since a short bridge deal when teams cant reach a long term agreement is designed to get the player out to earn more on their next contract. the benefit to the team is the lighter cap hit. These rumors are so far fetched I hope as a short term deal at huge numbers is all for the player and nothing for the Leafs.

Id really love to hear what Mitch really thinks instead of our guesses. But he's coming across as greedy AF to me!

Reactions: supermann_98

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You know, if I am already paying 9.5 for 3 years, I'd rather just give him 11 but say he needs to take 6 years. Yes it sucks, but it buys 3 more years, and 2 UFA years. It makes our window the next 5 years instead of the next 3. And honestly, within a year the cap will go up by 2M anyways offsetting it.

In a few years, seattle comes in and a new TV happen, and the Leafs have a ton of cap space and 2-3 years left on these guy's deal. If we just stay at 9.5 x 3, he'll want a massive raise when the cap goes up and honestly, what's the difference between 9.5 and 11? A 4th liner? Losing Muzzin? If you really need to, you can always move Hyman or Kapanen to keep Muzzin if you know you have solid wing depth.

11X8 (at minimum 7 years) and get a deal done with full NTC in the UFA years; he gets paid the same as Tavares as a winger.

9.5x3 is a DUMB deal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Playing Marner on a lower line isn't necessarily "games". Tavares can generate close to 40 goals and 80 points by himself with scrubs. If Marner is equivalent to Matthews and Tavares, shouldn't he just anchor his own line and turn guys like Kerfoot into legitimate threats offensively?

Is Marner Batman, or Robin? Or is he Robin asking for Batman money?

Reactions: kb

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Playing Marner on a lower line isn't necessarily "games". Tavares can generate close to 40 goals and 80 points by himself with scrubs. If Marner is equivalent to Matthews and Tavares, shouldn't he just anchor his own line and turn guys like Kerfoot into legitimate threats offensively?

Is Marner Batman, or Robin? Or is he Robin asking for Batman money?

Batman doesn't need money; he is already a billionaire

:rolleyes:

Reactions: OddyOh

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
3 or 4 yrs 9.5 AAV - then they all can decide what he is after that.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

I agree. If he wants to get paid like an elite line driver then he can drive his own line. One year deal - 7.5M - to prove he is worth what he demands. Play all three lines basically the same amount of time. Run two PPs basically the same with Matthews/Nylander/Barrie on the one and Tavares/Marner/Rielly on the other. At ES Mik/Moore - Kerfoot - Marner can be a line. Have at it.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
At this point I don't care if it's 3 years, 5 years, 6, 7, or 8 years just get it done, and let's see what this team REALLY is, because we didn't see the real team last year because Nylander missed 2 months.

I want to see what this team REALLY is because I think the answer is champions.

Reactions: Sniper99

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree. If he wants to get paid like an elite line driver then he can drive his own line. One year deal - 7.5M - to prove he is worth what he demands. Play all three lines basically the same amount of time. Run two PPs basically the same with Matthews/Nylander/Barrie on the one and Tavares/Marner/Rielly on the other. At ES Mik/Moore - Kerfoot - Marner can be a line. Have at it.

Exactly.

If you're asking for money equivalent to Matthews, who has never been played for any real duration of time other than with players with his own experience level or less (Hyman, Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson, little bit of Brown, very little bit of Marleau) while being the youngest player on the team, then you should be expected to be the go-to guy on your own line.

Tavares will do just fine with anybody. Matthews will do what he does. Let Mitch give us a 3rd first line option if he wants to be paid X,Y,Z.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner's hypothetical 3x year deal puts him on a collision course with Rielly's contract expiry so that would cause untold destruction to the team.

There will always be someone to sign. Will they even want both by then? Who knows.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Exactly.

If you're asking for money equivalent to Matthews, who has never been played for any real duration of time other than with players with his own experience level or less (Hyman, Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson, little bit of Brown, very little bit of Marleau) while being the youngest player on the team, then you should be expected to be the go-to guy on your own line.

Tavares will do just fine with anybody. Matthews will do what he does. Let Mitch give us a 3rd first line option if he wants to be paid X,Y,Z.
He can’t really shoot so bulk him up and play him as banger on the third line with about 12 minutes of ice per night.
Added bonus - The GDTs will be entertaining

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Exactly.

The argument would be the Marner was great for the last 40 games of the previous season. During that period he was tied for with 10 other players for 50th in 5v5 points - and 4th on the Leafs behind Nylander, Matthews (who only played 30 games) and Gardiner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->