Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I do really like the way Miettinen plays. He's fearless out there
Miettinen's legit. Big hit on Denver's toughest player and then draws a penalty after almost breaking in alone. I can see some of the Arvidsson comparisons.

St. Cloud's defence can't make a pass to save their lives though. Frustrating to watch because they just end up chasing play.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That zone entry was nice on the PP. Had 2 players in front of him and got around them. Nice edges.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
I think only 4 or 5 guys have put up a higher PPG in the MHL with at least 20 games played in their U-19 seasons. Kucherov was the best one with a 1.78 PPG. Ovchinnikov is currently at 1.61. Definitely very impressive!
Not to rain on Ovchinnikov's parade but he's absolutely lighting up garbage teams.

I'm pretty sure he's < PPG against the top half of the MHL.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Another great effort to take the puck away in his blueline which might have saved a good chance.

Last edited:

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
That number 13 just did the dumbest play. St cloud has a pp so he decides to shoot from the point with no screen in front of the goalie and then st cloud has to reset cuz the opposing team is able to retrieve the puck before clearing.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Miettinen doesn't really seem to be a head on a swivel type of player. He just stares at the puck lol. He's lost his check quite a few times both games I've watched. Puts in good effort to get back in to position once he notices but that's something that's going to need work.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Miettinen doesn't really seem to be a head on a swivel type of player. He just stares at the puck lol. He's lost his check quite a few times both games I've watched. Puts in good effort to get back in to position once he notices but that's something that's going to need work.
I disagree. I haven't seen him lose his coverage. He has been in good position and keeps with his man.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Not to rain on Ovchinnikov's parade but he's absolutely lighting up garbage teams.

Offensive talents beat up on bad teams the most and are reasonable against good teams. Don't think that should be held against him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
In the 1st game, Miettinen wasn't as good after the 2 great chances aside from a couple moments.
Today he had a great game. Had a few good chances but the most impressive part was play away from the puck. His positioning was good and stopped a couple good potentially dangerous rushes by taking the puck away. His work ethic has been good through these 2 games. He is adjusting you can tell, but so far solid performances.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Fair but every other player on his team and in the league is in the same situation. You still have to put up the numbers. Most players have way worse numbers against the better teams in the league.

The same goes for pretty much all junior hockey. Even Robertson with his ridiculous year last year was just over a ppg against the powerhouse teams last year, and he was one of the better ones in the league against them.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

7 goals in 11 NLA games. Still only 23 (younger than Engvall, Korshkov, etc.) with almost 200GP in the NHL. Didn't think he was overly effective in his stint with the Leafs, but give him a full camp with a new team and he could still turn into a valuable depth piece.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

7 goals in 11 NLA games. Still only 23 (younger than Engvall, Korshkov, etc.) with almost 200GP in the NHL. Didn't think he was overly effective in his stint with the Leafs, but give him a full camp with a new team and he could still turn into a valuable depth piece.

As I said a few months ago, if he can put some more juice and strength behind his shot, and maybe get a little bit thicker so his energy game is a little bit more effective, there is nothing stopping him from becoming another Johnsson. They play fairly similar games, except Johnsson has a better shot and Malgin may have him beat on skating and playmaking.

Also, while he did not put up any points, he does have good possession numbers.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Fair but every other player on his team and in the league is in the same situation. You still have to put up the numbers. Most players have way worse numbers against the better teams in the league.

The same goes for pretty much all junior hockey. Even Robertson with his ridiculous year last year was just over a ppg against the powerhouse teams last year, and he was one of the better ones in the league against them.
There's way more disparity of talent between the top and bottom teams in the MHL than the OHL.

Like I said, not trying to rain on his parade. It was in response to a person saying his D+1 ppg is up there with Kucherov. Kuch, Panarin, etc. Played in a conference that, perennially, has much more talent than the one Snaipery plays in. I still love the kid's skill and vision but knowing our fan base's penchant for over valuing our prospects, I figured I'd throw that in. It's not a knock on someone to point out they might not be the next Kucherov.

Reactions: Insidefi

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015

Holy footspeed, batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad