Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I disagree. Definitely not "easily", and arguably not at all, in terms of current refinement.

If we are going on upside, Greenway is easily the better prospect.
I'm with you here as well. If I remember, a few people were saying his upside was high, but we just weren't sure what he was because he was so raw.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Kara is easily a better prospect than Greenway, too...

I'd be the first person to defend Kara as a dark horse due to his unique history and strong development track, but the fact is that being in the VHL this year is a step backwards for him, and there's been more USNDP trained defenders play in the NCAA at U22 and make the NHL than no-name Russians who play in the VHL at U22.

The player who is really getting undersold in this convo is Holmberg :p: @SeaOfBlue

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'd be the first person to defend Kara as a dark horse due to his unique history and strong development track, but the fact is that being in the VHL this year is a step backwards for him, and there's been more USNDP trained defenders play in the NCAA at U22 and make the NHL than no-name Russians who play in the VHL at U22.

The player who is really getting undersold in this convo is Holmberg :p: @SeaOfBlue
Holmberg doesn't get much ice time, but his production has been respectable. His underlying numbers are also solid.

Reactions: GermanLeaf

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Holmberg doesn't get much ice time, but his production has been respectable. His underlying numbers are also solid.

He is in the same sort of category as Kara for me. He's been solid with what he's been given, but he needs to take another step (i.e. earn more ice time or move to the KHL and continue the trend in Kara's case). Upside-wise, they are both bottom 6ers, but ones who could excel and give us value while they are still cheap.

Reactions: stickty111

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
He is in the same sort of category as Kara for me. He's been solid with what he's been given, but he needs to take another step (i.e. earn more ice time or move to the KHL and continue the trend in Kara's case). Upside-wise, they are both bottom 6ers, but ones who could excel and give us value while they are still cheap.
Hey we could always use some cheap bottoms 6s! I’ll take em

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
You totally missed my point.

I am saying that Greenway is more of a prospect than those guys. That's not to say that Holmberg, Kara, O'Connell and Kizimov should not also be listed and tracked (Bouthillier shouldn't be tracked anymore), because they still have NHL potential themselves (even if it is just as bottom 6/pairing type guys). It's also not to say that they are all on the same level as each other either. Kara + Holmberg > O'Connell + Kizimov.

What I am said was in response to @stickty111 stating that Greenway is not an "actual prospect" despite being more of a prospect than a number of prospects on that list. It was a comment on how Greenway is being underrated and disrespected, likely because he transferred, which was only further justified by the rush of people saying that it is disrespect for Kara instead.

Unless you guys genuinely think that Greenway is a prospect not worth tracking anymore, in which case I do recommend at least looking at him a few more times before making that judgement, my point stands.

Will see his brother play tonight with the Wild maybe his brother has him back on track. He was on the vaunted U18 usa team that has produced some great players.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I like Kara as much as the next guy but he's never had more than bottom 6 upside and is still in the VHL at 21 (although I would hope for not much longer). Tabbing Greenway as a better prospect is not disrespect in the least.

I know I already responded to this.... but Kara is 7th in the VHL in scoring at 21 years old.

He's by far the youngest in the top 7 too, most are 5+ years older (1 is 2 years older).

Kara SHOULD be seeing some KHL time this season.

Reactions: Magic Man

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I know I already responded to this.... but Kara is 7th in the VHL in scoring at 21 years old.

He's by far the youngest in the top 7 too, most are 5+ years older (1 is 2 years older).

Kara SHOULD be seeing some KHL time this season.

Impressive in a vacuum, but name 3 NHLers that spent meaningful time in the VHL @ U22

Reactions: JustAShadow

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Impressive in a vacuum, but name 3 NHLers that spent meaningful time in the VHL @ U22

Well, how many players who play in Russia in their U22 are NHLers? You're limitting me to quite a small sample... Not only that, but most players, especially young ones, that produce as good as Kara are brought up to the KHL pretty quick...

Kara has almost surpassed Mikheyev's Career high already.... Mikheyev (U21): 49GP 7G 16P

Reactions: teddygmr

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So Korshkov has been producing well in the AHL. Is he going to form a new Sky Line with Mikheyev and Goat?

Reactions: teddygmr

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Putting brazeau in the echl is a great idea. He can work on his skating and take risks in that department.

lopponen has 6 points in 10 games, which is impressive considering he started with 0 in his first 3-4 games and he is transitioning to na ice. Looking at sudbury’s lineup, i do not think lopponen is the top pp guy. If lopponen can get 0.75ppg, i will consider his season a huge success.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Putting brazeau in the echl is a great idea. He can work on his skating and take risks in that department.

lopponen has 6 points in 10 games, which is impressive considering he started with 0 in his first 3-4 games and he is transitioning to na ice. Looking at sudbury’s lineup, i do not think lopponen is the top pp guy. If lopponen can get 0.75ppg, i will consider his season a huge success.
To be honest we don’t really have a power play man... (weird I know) we just toss regular lines and pairings out. But he doesn’t get the most time you’re right

Reactions: stickty111

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
To be honest we don’t really have a power play man... (weird I know) we just toss regular lines and pairings out. But he doesn’t get the most time you’re right

What? They're not even using thompson on the pp? Do they at least go 4 forwards 1 defensemen? If they go 3f2d, yikes!

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Conrad had a goal and 4 assists for the Growlers today.
He now has 8 points in 3 games.
The fact they sent him to the ECHL without even giving him a chance with the Marlies is a complete joke . The NCHC in which he played college hockey in is better than the ECHL and he produced well there .

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I thought Colt Conrad looked pretty good in his Marlies' audition last spring. He's an energetic player and plays very brave to go along with his skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad