Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
My waiver knowledge is little. If a player clears waivers, can they go back and forth from ahl to nhl and vice versa frequently in a year?

Once you clear you can go up and down unrestricted until you’ve been on the NHL roster for 30 days, then you’d require waivers again to be demoted. This is why Petan had to be waived again early this month after clearing in at the start of the season.

Reactions: Prominence

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Any news on Ian Scott? I know he's been dealing with a tough injury but... It feels like it's been way past the point of where he should be in terms of health.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Any news on Ian Scott? I know he's been dealing with a tough injury but... It feels like it's been way past the point of where he should be in terms of health.
He had a setback in his return I believe but I forget how long ago that was.

Growlers could really use a goalie too. They score 4.5 goals per game and are only 7-5 on the year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He had a setback in his return I believe but I forget how long ago that was.

Growlers could really use a goalie too. They score 4.5 goals per game and are only 7-5 on the year.

I just want him playing. I've seen these scenarios before and they hardly ever turn out positive.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

All I know is it has to do with his groin, apparently he is behind schedule, and they probably don't want to rush him until he feels 100%.

Kaskisuo had a similar issue and tried playing through it. He missed a month, came back and sucked for a month a two, then improved a bit but was still inconsistent for another month or two, and then he finally was firing on all cylinders by March. He suffered the injury in mid-October. It was clear up until March that he wasn't 100%, and it likely took longer for him to get to 100% because he was playing through the injury.

I think the Marlies are looking at what happened to Kaskisuo and are not going to risk it this time around. He's a top prospect and wouldn't even be playing in the AHL. Besides, a bit of adversity will force the Growlers to focus on improving their defensive game, which will only help Scott when he does come back and plays with the Growlers this year.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
All I know is it has to do with his groin, apparently he is behind schedule, and they probably don't want to rush him until he feels 100%.

Kaskisuo had a similar issue and tried playing through it. He missed a month, came back and sucked for a month a two, then improved a bit but was still inconsistent for another month or two, and then he finally was firing on all cylinders by March. He suffered the injury in mid-October. It was clear up until March that he wasn't 100%, and it likely took longer for him to get to 100% because he was playing through the injury.

I think the Marlies are looking at what happened to Kaskisuo and are not going to risk it this time around. He's a top prospect and wouldn't even be playing in the AHL. Besides, a bit of adversity will force the Growlers to focus on improving their defensive game, which will only help Scott when he does come back and plays with the Growlers this year.

I've been playing goal for 18 years and went through my first serious groin injury last year. Took me about 7 weeks of rehab and even after that it still bothered me for about 8 months before everything started to feel normal again. Now I realize how serious groin injuries are for a professional goalie that are on the ice every day.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
4 assists for SDA. Maybe he wasn't doing well because of Robertson. The kid is just playing up to his potential.

He's got a real shot of becoming something at the NHL level if he pushes some of his skills to an elite level. I hope his skating can take the same kind of climb that Point's did, he's going to need it to create space for himself at the next level.

Reactions: stickty111

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
4 assists for SDA. Maybe he wasn't doing well because of Robertson. The kid is just playing up to his potential.
He's got a real shot of becoming something at the NHL level if he pushes some of his skills to an elite level. I hope his skating can take the same kind of climb that Point's did, he's going to need it to create space for himself at the next level.

He's always had high end vision and playmaking skills, he lacks that explosive first few steps to create space and buy time at the next level though

I'd practically have him living at Underhill's house at this point trying to sort it out

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He's always had high end vision and playmaking skills, he lacks that explosive first few steps to create space and buy time at the next level though

I'd practically have him living at Underhill's house at this point trying to sort it out

Even if he at least got his shot to a good level, goalies would have to respect him more and not overcommit the pass.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Even if he at least got his shot to a good level, goalies would have to respect him more and not overcommit the pass.

He can still make a career for himself as a puck distributer but it's more likely to be on the wing, a bit like Bracco or Marner

That's if he can get his skating sorted out, that's a big if

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He can still make a career for himself as a puck distributer but it's more likely to be on the wing, a bit like Bracco or Marner

That's if he can get his skating sorted out, that's a big if
His skating is good. The explosiveness will come with strength.
Also his shot is also good. His one timer from the left dot is deadly and only going to get better with strength too.
I think time with the strength training coach should be a priority over barb for this kid

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I'm by no means an expert, in anything really, but if SDA has the playmaking ability of Bracco and the defensive ability of Marner, SDA is a NHL player

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm by no means an expert, in anything really, but if SDA has the playmaking ability of Bracco and the defensive ability of Marner, SDA is a NHL player

Jeremy Bracco's U20 season:
57GP 25G 83P (1.46 P/GP)

SDA's U20 season:
18GP 4G 31P (1.72 P/GP)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but SDA is a centerman for the Petes, no>?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Kara with 3G and 1A in last 3 KHL games... 3G 5P in 7GP.

Who was it that lumped Kara as the same caliber prospect as Greenway, O'Connell, Bouthillier...?? :laugh:
He's still averaging under 10 minutes per game as well I believe. If he keeps this up it could be a huge year for him.

Reactions: teddygmr

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Any updates on Kassila and Marchment? I was looking forward to watching Kassila with the Marlies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
His skating is good. The explosiveness will come with strength.
Also his shot is also good. His one timer from the left dot is deadly and only going to get better with strength too.
I think time with the strength training coach should be a priority over barb for this kid

I don't ever remember his shot being bad, he's just very reticent you use it
He's always thinking pass, very Kerfoot like in that regard

I'd describe his skating as adequate, fundamentally sound but lacking explosiveness

I'd have thought it's something Underhill could work with but I've thought that about a few guys and it never worked out

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't ever remember his shot being bad, he's just very reticent you use it
He's always thinking pass, very Kerfoot like in that regard

I'd describe his skating as adequate, fundamentally sound but lacking explosiveness

I'd have thought it's something Underhill could work with but I've thought that about a few guys and it never worked out
Under hill works on technique. Things like body positioning strude length etc.
Explosiveness has some of those needs, but SDA is a good skater technique wise, so just needing the strength.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Kara with 3G and 1A in last 3 KHL games... 3G 5P in 7GP.

Who was it that lumped Kara as the same caliber prospect as Greenway, O'Connell, Bouthillier...?? :laugh:

You are probably thinking of me, except you are factually incorrect. I never lumped Kara with O'Connell and especially not Bouthillier. I said Greenway was a prospect worth tracking more than Kara, so if Kara was getting tracked, then Greenway should have been too. I still stand by that sentiment.

O'Connell isn't doing too bad with Ohio State this year either. He's separating himself from the Bouthillier, Herzog, Chebykin, Luchuk and Bobylev tier of prospects himself.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You are probably thinking of me, except you are factually incorrect. I never lumped Kara with O'Connell and especially not Bouthillier. I said Greenway was a prospect worth tracking more than Kara, so if Kara was getting tracked, then Greenway should have been too. I still stand by that sentiment.

O'Connell isn't doing too bad with Ohio State this year either. He's separating himself from the Bouthillier, Herzog, Chebykin, Luchuk and Bobylev tier of prospects himself.

:laugh:

You can see how I interpretted that, no?

These are for players who I consider as actual prospects.
Greenway is as much of a prospect as many on that list, and is more of a prospect than guys like Kara, O'Connell, Holmberg, Kizimov and Bouthillier.

Still laughable... Greenway is a nothing prospect, and Kara is a top 20 prospect in our system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad