Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - Who ordered a taxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Under Dubas's watch this will not happen. Draft for skill, trade for size.
Firstly not sure what this has to do with that post.

Secondly, Dubas would be right to continue that way. I rather get draft players regardless of size. It's easier to get size then talent.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lily would be earmarked bottom pair if he makes the Leafs.

I think with current roster construction that rather than a guy that does everything pretty well, we get another BOGO type.
Strickly PK, physical veteran type that needs to be paired with a puck mover like Sandin.
I rather play our NHL ready 1st round pick that can do all those things you mentioned.

Reactions: Magic Man

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs could really use a younger Jake Muzzin, preferably RHD. A solid defensive defenseman who also has some offensive ability.

I had high hopes that Liljegren would develop that way, but he is now 22 years of age and has only played 13 NHL games with 1 point. When Muzzin was 22 he had already played, oh wait, Muzzin had only played 11 games with 1 point.

It took another two seasons for Muzzin to solidify a position as a full time NHL player. Too bad we cannot have similar patience for Liljegren.

Well, Braden Schneider was there for the taking, but looking at the Leafs forward prospect group, we kind of need Amirov too.

I suppose if you go by the write up of the player who has a great two way game, and names like Kucherov and Matthews are sprinkled into the name dropping, we'll really need that player to come on line and play well on ELC within the next 2 years. That probably fits in better with the Leafs timetable than Schneider. Those types of players are usually more of a gradual development curve.

In the meantime, would like to see the Leafs sign more Kristians Rubins types and hope we find a Phil Myers sooner than later to fill some of those gaps in the org. chart.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Our Marlies goalie coach is now our goalie scout and developer (which is what he was doing on top of his duties as Marlies goalie coach). Effectively becomes our new Brian Daccord. Meanwhile we hired LA's former goalie developer to be our new Marlies goalie coach.

Pluses:
- Dusty Imoo is great. He is credited for helping out Jack Campbell and Darcy Kuemper, and was also there for Cal Peterson, who has become a really good young NHL goalie in his own right. Additionally, he was Connor Hellebuyck's AHL goalie coach.
- Jon Elkin can now focus on being a goalie scout and developer full time, which may improve his performance. He has developed some goalies in his own right (helped Matt Murray a lot in the Soo the one year he was their goalie coach, was Kuemper and Hill's goalie coach in ARI, etc.), and while his Marlies track record is underwhelming, we have seen Woll take some strides despite some atrocious defending in front of him.

Minuses:
- Despite the positives, Elkin has a questionable track record.
- Elkin thought Vlad Peksa was worthy of a selection despite being a subpar MHL backup on a higher end team as an overager... Enough said.

All in all, I think this is a great move for the Leafs/Marlies. Imoo could pay major dividends in the AHL and Elkin has had a decent track record himself. Between the two, I think our goalie prospect development should be in good hands. TBD on the goalie scouting front, but it is definitely not off to a good start with that Peksa selection IMO.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Our Marlies goalie coach is now our goalie scout and developer (which is what he was doing on top of his duties as Marlies goalie coach). Effectively becomes our new Brian Daccord. Meanwhile we hired LA's former goalie developer to be our new Marlies goalie coach.

Pluses:
- Dusty Imoo is great. He is credited for helping out Jack Campbell and Darcy Kuemper, and was also there for Cal Peterson, who has become a really good young NHL goalie in his own right. Additionally, he was Connor Hellebuyck's AHL goalie coach.
- Jon Elkin can now focus on being a goalie scout and developer full time, which may improve his performance. He has developed some goalies in his own right (helped Matt Murray a lot in the Soo the one year he was their goalie coach, was Kuemper and Hill's goalie coach in ARI, etc.), and while his Marlies track record is underwhelming, we have seen Woll take some strides despite some atrocious defending in front of him.

Minuses:
- Despite the positives, Elkin has a questionable track record.
- Elkin thought Vlad Peksa was worthy of a selection despite being a subpar MHL backup on a higher end team as an overager... Enough said.

All in all, I think this is a great move for the Leafs/Marlies. Imoo could pay major dividends in the AHL and Elkin has had a decent track record himself. Between the two, I think our goalie prospect development should be in good hands. TBD on the goalie scouting front, but it is definitely not off to a good start with that Peksa selection IMO.

Still baffled by the Peska pick but hopefully this doea help Woll and Scott figure things out. We need them to.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think Imoo can be a good goalie coach for us. I'm not really sold on Elkin being able to draft goalies, but the development side is probably more important anyway

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Take a look at what he likes on Twitter (he just shut down his Twitter)

I imagine that the Leafs did their due-diligence. Nothing he did there is illegal, even if I don't agree with most of it. It also creates more problems if you don't hire someone based on political views. Now if it comes out that his political views affect his professionalism and ability to perform his duties, like DeAngelo, or he does something actually illegal, then it becomes more of an issue. Liking tweets comes nowhere near that level and it is discriminatory by nature to judge/not hire someone based on that... Even though it happens all the time.

Keep in mind that the LA Kings, who are about as woke as we are as an organization and are located in by far the most heavily-dominated Democratic area in the USA (where LGBTQ/Black Rights are supported), had no issues having him around for 4 years. I am sure they were aware of tweets and his political views just like we are.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Who are some Marlies that you could unexpectedly making a push to be on the Leafs roster next year? Maybe Rubins?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
The Leafs could really use a younger Jake Muzzin, preferably RHD. A solid defensive defenseman who also has some offensive ability.

I had high hopes that Liljegren would develop that way, but he is now 22 years of age and has only played 13 NHL games with 1 point. When Muzzin was 22 he had already played, oh wait, Muzzin had only played 11 games with 1 point.

It took another two seasons for Muzzin to solidify a position as a full time NHL player. Too bad we cannot have similar patience for Liljegren.

Sounds like a certain someone they passed on in the first round of the 2020 NHL entry draft.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I imagine that the Leafs did their due-diligence. Nothing he did there is illegal, even if I don't agree with most of it. It also creates more problems if you don't hire someone based on political views. Now if it comes out that his political views affect his professionalism and ability to perform his duties, like DeAngelo, or he does something actually illegal, then it becomes more of an issue. Liking tweets comes nowhere near that level and it is discriminatory by nature to judge/not hire someone based on that... Even though it happens all the time.

Keep in mind that the LA Kings, who are about as woke as we are as an organization and are located in by far the most heavily-dominated Democratic area in the USA (where LGBTQ/Black Rights are supported), had no issues having him around for 4 years. I am sure they were aware of tweets and his political views just like we are.

Just because LA tolerated him doesn't mean what LA did was right, and frankly we don't know what type of scrutiny LA does when hiring. As for Toronto this could have easily been overlooked

As for the "Nothing he did there is illegal, even if I don't agree with most of it" racism has no place in or around the work place. Don't give racism an inch and remove it where ever possible. Make people fear for their jobs when they spread/like racist filth

If this is indeed true he should be fired

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Just because LA tolerated him doesn't mean what LA did was right, and frankly we don't know what type of scrutiny LA does when hiring. As for Toronto this could have easily been overlooked

As for the "Nothing he did there is illegal, even if I don't agree with most of it" racism has no place in or around the work place. Don't give racism an inch and remove it where ever possible. Make people fear for their jobs when they spread/like racist filth

If this is indeed true he should be fired
They aren't going to take allegations that a Japanese man is a white supremacist because he liked a tweet that was critical of LeBron seriously enough to fire him right after hiring him. If they do, it would reflect terribly on the organization

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
We should be past the stage of veterans. If the kids are ready, we shouldn't be blocking them.
Did you watch what Montreal just did with 4 physical veteran D. It is what all the cool kids are doing now. And I would like another because Muzz doesn't seem to be able to last a playoff round playing the way he does..

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Did you watch what Montreal just did with 4 physical veteran D. It is what all the cool kids are doing now. And I would like another because Muzz doesn't seem to be able to last a playoff round playing the way he does..
How is that even the same thing? Try to stay on track. I'm talking about not blocking kids, and you talk about a point which has nothing to do with this conversation.
Imagine if Boston followed your logic instead of playing their young prospect McAvoy in the playoffs a few years ago. They would never realize how good he is.
If the kid is ready, play him over a player who is physical.

Nothing wrong with getting another physical player, but he needs to be an upgrade over the kid who is ready.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
How is that even the same thing? Try to stay on track. I'm talking about not blocking kids, and you talk about a point which has nothing to do with this conversation.
Imagine if Boston followed your logic instead of playing their young prospect McAvoy in the playoffs a few years ago. They would never realize how good he is.
If the kid is ready, play him over a player who is physical.

Nothing wrong with getting another physical player, but he needs to be an upgrade over the kid who is ready.

Strong disagree.
The team doesn't share your vision for Lily. And McAvoy and Lily really should not be mentioned in any comparison.

Sports teams are copy cats.
Montreal just made the final with Weber, Edmonson, Chiarot, and Petry playing massive minutes. They lose Weber and sign Savard to replace him. WHY? Not because he is a dynamic D. He is a physical force.
The Leafs tried to add another big physical D Hakanpaa to replace BOGO and missed on him.
Team needs to get bigger on the back end, not smaller. If Sandin makes the team as a lightweight D the team needs to sign a heavy.
I will take slightly less from a player if he can provide a physical element

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
They aren't going to take allegations that a Japanese man is a white supremacist because he liked a tweet that was critical of LeBron seriously enough to fire him right after hiring him. If they do, it would reflect terribly on the organization

Fairly sure it is not even legal to fire him at this point. He has not done anything wrong in any realm that matters, regardless of how much some people want to believe otherwise.

The Leafs will handle it if they even feel like it is an issue in the first place, which I doubt they do. Otherwise, I like the hiring from a professional standpoint and for the purposes of this thread, that is all that matters.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Strong disagree.
The team doesn't share your vision for Lily. And McAvoy and Lily really should not be mentioned in any comparison.

Sports teams are copy cats.
Montreal just made the final with Weber, Edmonson, Chiarot, and Petry playing massive minutes. They lose Weber and sign Savard to replace him. WHY? Not because he is a dynamic D. He is a physical force.
The Leafs tried to add another big physical D Hakanpaa to replace BOGO and missed on him.
Team needs to get bigger on the back end, not smaller. If Sandin makes the team as a lightweight D the team needs to sign a heavy.
I will take slightly less from a player if he can provide a physical element
Well the Leafs have made Lilly untouchable in trades so they are high on him as said by Bob and Elliotte. You clearly didn't understand the point. I wasn't comparing the two. I was just saying Boston if Boston followed your logic, McAvoy would not be given a chance and they would be wrong. Imagine if they went physical and blocked Charlie?
Montreal didn't improve with that signing, so not sure it's a good example.

You are mischaracterizing Lilly as a smaller D. The guy is build like a truck and plays when physical when he has to be. Everything you described of the Leafs needing, he has it.
Big? Check
Physical? Check
PK? Check
Liljegren-Sandin is more then a fine defensive pairing. Lilly's steady play compliments Sandin's style. A lot of the issues start from fans thinking Lilly is a small offensive D.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Well, Braden Schneider was there for the taking, but looking at the Leafs forward prospect group, we kind of need Amirov too.

I suppose if you go by the write up of the player who has a great two way game, and names like Kucherov and Matthews are sprinkled into the name dropping, we'll really need that player to come on line and play well on ELC within the next 2 years. That probably fits in better with the Leafs timetable than Schneider. Those types of players are usually more of a gradual development curve.

In the meantime, would like to see the Leafs sign more Kristians Rubins types and hope we find a Phil Myers sooner than later to fill some of those gaps in the org. chart.
Wow! The bolded brought back a memory that I had worked really hard to suppress.

Are you old enough to remember the 1987 draft? GM Gord Stellick overruled his scouts to select Luke Richardson at 7th overall because he wanted a big, defensive defenseman. The scouts wanted the slightly undersized centre, Joe Sakic. It is not like the Leafs missed out on a Hall of Fame player. Oh wait, that is exactly what they did!

In 2020 the scouting reports that I ready ranked Schneider for late in the first round or even second round. Leafs management make their mistakes, but at least they know enough to take the BPA when they are drafting.

Reactions: stickty111

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Fairly sure it is not even legal to fire him at this point. He has not done anything wrong in any realm that matters, regardless of how much some people want to believe otherwise.

The Leafs will handle it if they even feel like it is an issue in the first place, which I doubt they do. Otherwise, I like the hiring from a professional standpoint and for the purposes of this thread, that is all that matters.
I dunno, hiring someone who cheered on an insurrection and liked tweets calling for the vice president to be killed is a bad look for a public-facing organization in one of the most liberal regions in North America. I sure as hell wouldn't want my brand associated with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad