Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - Who ordered a taxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
I don't get the Lillypad hate still (thanks babs for the nickname).

Guy just quietly goes about his business. Was brought in touted as an offensive d man, didn't blow anyone out of the water with his offence...but he's really rounded out the rest of his game.

I still think this guy is a player and deserves time at the NHL level. His skating, passing and continually improving gap control is the kind of defenseman that thrives in the modern NHL.

Reactions: crump

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Liljegren is a guy who takes time to adjust at every new level. He'll adjust fine at the NHL player, and be a useful player for us, for quite some time.
Well said.
This fanbase makes that adjustment a bloody misery.
I’m not looking forward to that part.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Liljegren is a guy who takes time to adjust at every new level. He'll adjust fine at the NHL player, and be a useful player for us, for quite some time.
Keefe said pretty much this during his 11 game addition. It takes him time to get comfortable, but when he does, he's really good who can play both special teams. I still think the organization sees him strictly as a PK guy but would like to be wrong.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

Sandin has a really high hockeyIQ which is why he transitioned to the NHL so quickly and is also why he able to QB the PP

One thing I noticed is in the playoffs Sandin starts to slow down as the playoffs go on. At MOST you might say in the first round Sandin > Liljegren (and that is debatable) by the 3rd round Liljegren >> Sandin (and that is not debatable)

Sandin is a top4 Dman but I fear his footspeed will keep him out of the top2

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Sandin has a really high hockeyIQ which is why he transitioned to the NHL so quickly and is also why he able to QB the PP

One thing I noticed is in the playoffs Sandin starts to slow down as the playoffs go on. At MOST you might say in the first round Sandin > Liljegren (and that is debatable) by the 3rd round Liljegren >> Sandin (and that is not debatable)

Sandin is a top4 Dman but I fear his footspeed will keep him out of the top2
I’m clinging to the hope that Sandins foot speed is better than it looked on the Byron goal and a few other plays in that series. He was just back from a foot injury so may not have been all the way back.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I’m clinging to the hope that Sandins foot speed is better than it looked on the Byron goal and a few other plays in that series. He was just back from a foot injury so may not have been all the way back.

I've seen most of Sandin games since he was drafted, his foot speed was, at best, slightly under par in the AHL but Sandin was very rarely out of position because of his high IQ. But after 3 rounds in the AHL playoffs the mind start to slow down and the foot speed starts to drop off and it is very noticeable

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I agree in that Sandin likely won’t be a top 2 dman in the NHL due to foot speed. You’d need to pair him with another really smart, high IQ dman to do it. So basically a true bred #1. I think in Sandin will be an excellent #3 though that you can play on the top pair of you have a good #2 on a matchup pair like Muzzin.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

To be fair, Byron is one of the fastest players in the league.

Reactions: nuck

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
When do you guys expect Amirov, Holmberg, Abbruzzeze, Abramov and co to step onto the big club?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
AHL contract bit:
Brazeau and Elynuik won't be back on AHL deals. Still unknown about Chartier and Conrad, but I would likely figure the same. Hoping Gaudet is back on a 2-way or AHL deal

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I don't get the Lillypad hate still (thanks babs for the nickname).

Guy just quietly goes about his business. Was brought in touted as an offensive d man, didn't blow anyone out of the water with his offence...but he's really rounded out the rest of his game.

I still think this guy is a player and deserves time at the NHL level. His skating, passing and continually improving gap control is the kind of defenseman that thrives in the modern NHL.

Yep. I feel like we're on the cusp of pulling a Stralman, giving him away for almost nothing, and then seeing him blossom into a quality top 4 dman elsewhere.

He obviously had some major pre-draft pedigree, and his development in the AHL has been very good. The trajectory on paper looks like he should be a legitimate NHLer (including as you pointed out his specific skillset), but he's yet to be given any kind of opportunity.

Reactions: uncleben

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
AHL contract bit:
Brazeau and Elynuik won't be back on AHL deals. Still unknown about Chartier and Conrad, but I would likely figure the same. Hoping Gaudet is back on a 2-way or AHL deal

Was really hoping for Elynuik and Chartier coming back.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Was really hoping for Elynuik and Chartier coming back.

Chartier was really bad last year and Elynuik never really amounted to more than a decent 4th line/rotation guy. I'd rather just give his spot to Curtis Douglas.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Lily would be earmarked bottom pair if he makes the Leafs.

I think with current roster construction that rather than a guy that does everything pretty well, we get another BOGO type.
Strickly PK, physical veteran type that needs to be paired with a puck mover like Sandin.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Lily would be earmarked bottom pair if he makes the Leafs.

I think with current roster construction that rather than a guy that does everything pretty well, we get another BOGO type.
Strickly PK, physical veteran type that needs to be paired with a puck mover like Sandin.
I'd rather just have the guy that does everything well. Liljegren can PK and he's just as physical as Bogo. Why not have a guy that can also be useful in other areas. If Holl or Brodie get injured he can move up in the lineup.

Reactions: stickty111

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
The Leafs could really use a younger Jake Muzzin, preferably RHD. A solid defensive defenseman who also has some offensive ability.

I had high hopes that Liljegren would develop that way, but he is now 22 years of age and has only played 13 NHL games with 1 point. When Muzzin was 22 he had already played, oh wait, Muzzin had only played 11 games with 1 point.

It took another two seasons for Muzzin to solidify a position as a full time NHL player. Too bad we cannot have similar patience for Liljegren.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
The Leafs could really use a younger Jake Muzzin, preferably RHD. A solid defensive defenseman who also has some offensive ability.

I had high hopes that Liljegren would develop that way, but he is now 22 years of age and has only played 13 NHL games with 1 point. When Muzzin was 22 he had already played, oh wait, Muzzin had only played 11 games with 1 point.

It took another two seasons for Muzzin to solidify a position as a full time NHL player. Too bad we cannot have similar patience for Liljegren.
LOL I read the first paragraph and was about to respond right away with you know we have Timothy Liljegren right...

Thankfully I kept reading!

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Under Dubas's watch this will not happen. Draft for skill, trade for size.

Reactions: nuck

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

This is why I think we need to pair those two together for at least a bit while Muzzin still has the ability to carry any pair he is on. Gives Liljegren the ability to relax and just focus on improving his game. Similar to the way Loverde did for him at the AHL level.

Liljegren has a higher upside than Muzzin did but we have to start pushing him towards that.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Chartier was really bad last year and Elynuik never really amounted to more than a decent 4th line/rotation guy. I'd rather just give his spot to Curtis Douglas.
People still hold onto some hope for Brazeau, but it is just a size thing honestly. Jack Kopacka is 23 and brought in on an AHL deal and it was treated like a nothing depth signing, but he has accomplished more in the AHL than Brazeau, Elynuik, and Conrad (who are presumably on the way out).

I'm optimistic about Douglas because he is arguably the best starting point prospect this staff has received out of previous big forwards like Brazeau, Elynuik, and even Marchment as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad