Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - The AHL is up and prospects are in play

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kral nearly averaging a monster 28 min/game in a tied 2-2 series heading into a do-or-die game 5. Just shy of PPG.

Kral's the highest scoring U22 defenseman in 20 years in the Czech league (regular season).

Not popular opinion, but I would rank him above Kokkonen. He will make an immediate impact for the Marlies. Assist from yesterday below:

Yup. He's had a terrific season and easily the team's best player. I have always been higher on Kral then Hollowell for example, as I like his all round potential more. Hollowell has the best tool from the two with his skating, but Kral offers more tools. Kral's a better skater then I thought as well.
I watched the game today. He had to make like 3 big saves and missed one of them for his goal against. Not really his fault, he got across pretty well but the guy shot a knuckler that went right above his glove. If he stayed upright he would have got it but it was going to be a one timer so he made the right move if the guy didn't totally whiff.

Dmitri Katelevsky impressed me too. Works really hard, always covers his defense, strong in the dot, and displays a very mature, field general type game. He is not elite or anything, but he plays the kind of no-nonsense style you like out of a 3C.
How would you rate Artur's movements, rebound control? I know just one game but still.

Reactions: Saint Blue

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That is true, I still wanted to hear his illogical rationale. We did trade them Korshkov - he has played well, but that is it. Besides, Chucky has 8 points in his 6 games.
I think he is talking about the 1st we traded to them which got them Jarvis, but thats more on Lou then Dubas. Sadly Dubas had to pay for Lou's mistake.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
How would you rate Artur's movements, rebound control? I know just one game but still.

Honestly, he hardly faced anything. If he had more than 10-15 shots against, I would be shocked, and most of them were weak from the outside so it was easy for him to knock it in the corner and move to square up to them. In general, nothing was really glaring and he does look too good for that level, but that should be the expectation for someone his age if they have any shot at the NHL.

I don't think he is as spectacular as people think he is based on his numbers. Those were always inflated based on the team he was on. But he is doing his job for a really good team at the very least.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Honestly, he hardly faced anything. If he had more than 10-15 shots against, I would be shocked, and most of them were weak from the outside so it was easy for him to knock it in the corner and move to square up to them. In general, nothing was really glaring and he does look too good for that level, but that should be the expectation for someone his age if they have any shot at the NHL.

I don't think he is as spectacular as people think he is based on his numbers. Those were always inflated based on the team he was on. But he is doing his job for a really good team at the very least.
Great. Thanks

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think he is talking about the 1st we traded to them which got them Jarvis, but thats more on Lou then Dubas. Sadly Dubas had to pay for Lou's mistake.

Not saying Dubas didn't inherit some ripe turd but you don't get to spend $11M when you already have two top 6 centers and then complain about being forced to dump lesser guys because of the previous GM. Technically the tipping point probably was those deals for the big 3 because Dubas expected to spend about $4M less so Tavares was not really a reach. Almost everything Kyle did was affected by Lou but Jarvis was given away because of the four contracts KD gave out.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Not saying Dubas didn't inherit some ripe turd but you don't get to spend $11M when you already have two top 6 centers and then complain about being forced to dump lesser guys because of the previous GM. Technically the tipping point probably was those deals for the big 3 because Dubas expected to spend about $4M less so Tavares was not really a reach. Almost everything Kyle did was affected by Lou but Jarvis was given away because of the four contracts KD gave out.

Dubas' job is to make Toronto the best it can be. He's supposed to miss out on Tavares because Lou made a mistake which was clearly a bad idea on day 1 so we can have 6.25 mill as deadweight, a 1st round pick, and Kadri on our team, who is closer to Kerfoot in quality than to Tavares right now?

Losing Jarvis has nothing to do with the contracts Dubas gave out. It has to do with Lou making a terrible, ill-advised signing that Dubas was expected to clean up.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Dubas' job is to make Toronto the best it can be. He's supposed to miss out on Tavares because Lou made a mistake which was clearly a bad idea on day 1 so we can have 6.25 mill as deadweight, a 1st round pick, and Kadri on our team, who is closer to Kerfoot in quality than to Tavares right now?

Losing Jarvis has nothing to do with the contracts Dubas gave out. It has to do with Lou making a terrible, ill-advised signing that Dubas was expected to clean up.

I think to keep Jarvis, Dubas could've done any of the following:

1. Trade Kapanen and Johnsson. In hindsight, this was probably the best option, as we ended up trading them anyways, but we probably received a lot less for Johnsson.

2. Sign either Matthews or Marner to bridge deals and trade one of Kapanen/Johnsson

3. Sign both Matthews and Marner to bridge deals

I think the reality was that Dubas over-estimated the team. He probably thought with the addition of Kerfoot and Barrie, we would challenge for the cup and the 1st would be a late first round. But it was 13th overall.....

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

1. Trade Kapanen and Johnsson. In hindsight, this was probably the best option, as we ended up trading them anyways, but we probably received a lot less for Johnsson.

2. Sign either Matthews or Marner to bridge deals and trade one of Kapanen/Johnsson

In hindsight trading Johnsson or Kapanen would definitely have been better... hell in hindisght trading Nylander or even Marner may have been the best decision back then - depends how Jarvis turns out and how our next 3 years go. In hindsight - many things will change for a lot of teams.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Pretty much. These are the facts, but Lou is considered some kind of hero to some, and people get upset if you criticize him even a little bit. It's good we won't be making any kind of awful mistakes that Lou made though.
Lou is a joke for signing a over the Hill Marleau for his money and term, and Dubas had to pay for it to clean up Lou's mess.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I have always been intrigued by Kral TBH. late round, 6'1 left shot defensman from czech republic....where have i seen this before :huh:

View attachment 407771

The glaring difference, of course... Kral is listed at 175lbs. Kaberle was 215lbs...40lbs is an enormous difference in ability to absorb contact and play below your own goal line and in front of your own net.

If Kral were 18 it would be one thing. But 175lbs at 21, on a 6'1 frame? Jesus.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I think the reality was that Dubas over-estimated the team. He probably thought with the addition of Kerfoot and Barrie, we would challenge for the cup and the 1st would be a late first round. But it was 13th overall.....

First of all, signing Matthews and Marner to bridge deals won't save you 6.25 mill, so you are still trading Marleau or at least one (if not both) of Kapanen and Johnsson. That is not even including the fact that signing guys to bridge deals is not really a desirable outcome if you think your guys are going to live up to their potential (and you have the choice to avoid it).

Second of all, you are going to waste another year of our core's prime (or drastically reduce your chances) by having 6.25 mill of effectively dead cap on your books and being forced to move a roster player (or two) just to fit that in? That makes sense. That's like saying we should not buy at the TDL because we may not win the Cup and, in hindsight, it would have all been a waste. Either way, I would bet that you would still blame Dubas.

Finally, Dubas did not overestimate anything. We were a top 10 last year when Keefe took over, and we are arguably a top 5 team this year. That is despite receiving some of the worst goaltending in the NHL right now. The only thing he overestimated (if he even had a choice in the matter initially, which it seems like he really did not) was Babcock's ability to be a coach and our backup goaltending. He remedied both. Now we will see if he also improves our starting goaltending, since I am sure if he had a good opportunity to upgrade there, he would take it.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The glaring difference, of course... Kral is listed at 175lbs. Kaberle was 215lbs...40lbs is an enormous difference in ability to absorb contact and play below your own goal line and in front of your own net.

If Kral were 18 it would be one thing. But 175lbs at 21, on a 6'1 frame? Jesus.

He's listed at 185 on his Czech team page, so he has gained 15 lbs in almost 3 years.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

1) Seems like in a roundabout way we could end up with a better prospect in Amirov than Jarvis, so there's that.

2) I think we got an overpayment on Kapanen and didn't sell high on Johnsson. In hindsight that Weegar for Dermott and Johnsson deal would have been perfect.

3) We got one extra year of service time out of Kapanen and Johnsson and can't be accused of giving up on them too soon.

4) At the cap dollars we committed to Matthews and Marner, having them commit for the full 8 years would have been preferable.

5) Lesson learned. Always, always protect your first round pick and stipulate you're only willing to give up a pick after 20, otherwise it slides. Doubtful anyone would have objected in a Marleau disposal deal, or any other future deal like that.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

How would they keep Jarvis?They may have been able to keep their pick, but then there would have been no gaurentee of it being at 13.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
2) I think we got an overpayment on Kapanen and didn't sell high on Johnsson. In hindsight that Weegar for Dermott and Johnsson deal would have been perfect.

I'd rather have Anderson and keep Dermott. There are certain things to consider on both sides:

Pros
- Weegar plays a solid defensive game and has more physicality (although Dermott is certainly not lacking in toughness himself).
- If we went with him instead of Brodie, we would save 1.75 mill.
- He is a proven asset.

Cons
- We don't know how well he does translating back to the RD for the first time in a while (he is the opposite of Brodie; RHD who has mostly played LD as soon as he started getting real minutes) and without Ekblad.
- Dermott has more upside and has been much better to this point of his career than Weegar was at the same point. Dermott also has better puck moving ability, which would allow him to become a better fitting version of Weegar within our team if he reaches his potential.
- We would have to pick between him and Brodie to fit him in cap-wise.
- We wouldn't have a very promising prospect in Joey Anderson who looks like he could provide surplus value for our bottom 6 next year.

All things considered, I think the Leafs like Dermott quite a bit and are not overly motivated to upgrade or move him. The Lehtonen move somewhat signifies that it looks like they don't want to take Dermott out of the lineup for any reason besides injury, and other than production (which has been a problem for Bogosian as well mind you), he has played quite well for the most part this year.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
I'd rather have Anderson and keep Dermott. There are certain things to consider on both sides:

Pros
- Weegar plays a solid defensive game and has more physicality (although Dermott is certainly not lacking in toughness himself).
- If we went with him instead of Brodie, we would save 1.75 mill.
- He is a proven asset.

Cons
- We don't know how well he does translating back to the RD for the first time in a while (he is the opposite of Brodie; RHD who has mostly played LD as soon as he started getting real minutes) and without Ekblad.
- Dermott has more upside and has been much better to this point of his career than Weegar was at the same point. Dermott also has better puck moving ability, which would allow him to become a better fitting version of Weegar within our team if he reaches his potential.
- We would have to pick between him and Brodie to fit him in cap-wise.
- We wouldn't have a very promising prospect in Joey Anderson who looks like he could provide surplus value for our bottom 6 next year.

All things considered, I think the Leafs like Dermott quite a bit and are not overly motivated to upgrade or move him. The Lehtonen move somewhat signifies that it looks like they don't want to take Dermott out of the lineup for any reason besides injury, and other than production (which has been a problem for Bogosian as well mind you), he has played quite well for the most part this year.
Like him enough to protect him in the expansion draft? Or do you think Sandin is a suitable replacement for next year?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Did anyone think that Galchenyuk would go this long without getting an audition with the big team? They are either very serious about working on his skating flaws or they don't want him with the big team.

I don't think I've ever seen an AHL team run this long with a goalie who wasn't even a number 1 at the ECHL level.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Did anyone think that Galchenyuk would go this long without getting an audition with the big team? They are either very serious about working on his skating flaws or they don't want him with the big team.

I don't think I've ever seen an AHL team run this long with a goalie who wasn't even a number 1 at the ECHL level.
He's played what? 6 games with the Marlies? lol You don't fix somebody's skating tendancies in two weeks. Give it time. We have lot's of depth guys anyways so he'll have to earn it.

And Woll should be back with the Marlies soon enough. We just traded for a goalie and Redmond is better than D'Agostini probably. Our goaltending just got nuked right after our depth was claimed and Scott being hurt doesn't help things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad