Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - The AHL is up and prospects are in play

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nice! Anyone been able to watch any of his games? what's the book on this kid? If my memory serves correct he was a really high draft pick in the Q. Curious to see how he develops

2nd overall.

I don't think he becomes a dynamic guy. I think if he improves his stride and bulks up, he can be a RD version of Dermott.

He's a mid-teens borderline B prospect like SDA.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
2nd overall.

I don't think he becomes a dynamic guy. I think if he improves his stride and bulks up, he can be a RD version of Dermott.

Maybe he can follow a slower development track like a Mackenzie Weegar.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
2nd overall.

And another example of how our last two drafts have really given us vastly improved prospect depth. Not a bunch of topline / top pair guys but hopefully a lot who can play in the NHL at some point in the future.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Weegar took a step or two forward. Dermott hasn't. Will it happen?

Weegar took a step forward at 26. Dermott just turned 24, which is the same age Weegar when he even cracked the NHL. What Weegar did at 24/25 is what Dermott has been doing since he was 21.

What Dermott needs more than anything is an opportunity. That is what Weegar received when Florida was desperate for defensemen, even moving to his off side to do so. I expect Dermott to receive a similar opportunity at some point (possibly to replace Holl).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Weegar took a step forward at 26. Dermott just turned 24, which is the same age Weegar when he even cracked the NHL. What Weegar did at 24/25 is what Dermott has been doing since he was 21.

What Dermott needs more than anything is an opportunity. That is what Weegar received when Florida was desperate for defensemen, even moving to his off side to do so. I expect Dermott to receive a similar opportunity at some point (possibly to replace Holl).

I’d suggest Weegar’s play improved the year before you are crediting him for, but he really got noticed the year after. So his 24/25 year and then noticed his 25/26 year. We’ve seen quite a few D men take time, so it’s possible, but you’d hope that Dermott would start to progress soon.

You also create your own opportunities for great play and force your way higher in the lineup. That’s up to him some, and he hasn’t done that. Like you say, there is time, but when there appears to be little progress, you start to wonder.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario

I agree. I've been a fan of Dermott since his junior days. I believe he's taken a step over the last calendar year. I think he's been asked to play a safe , defensive game this year and work on his gapping and some other things. I'm not worried at all re: his lack of points production as that isn't what's expected of him , at least for this year. I like his quickness and compete level and I think he's got enough offensive abilities to contribute more in the near future. I still see him as a good middle pairing defenceman not too far down the road. Whether that will be with us or Seattle , only time will tell.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I’d suggest Weegar’s play improved the year before you are crediting him for, but he really got noticed the year after. So his 24/25 year and then noticed his 25/26 year. We’ve seen quite a few D men take time, so it’s possible, but you’d hope that Dermott would start to progress soon.

You also create your own opportunities for great play and force your way higher in the lineup. That’s up to him some, and he hasn’t done that. Like you say, there is time, but when there appears to be little progress, you start to wonder.

Ahead of Muzzin and Rielly? I guess he could move over to RD, but we have Brodie there now and Holl is also there. Weegar got his chance because Florida struggled to find better options, not much unlike Holl here.

Dermott received looks when there were injuries and did well, but unless Rielly or Muzzin gets seriously injured or fall off of a cliff in the next couple of months, this is all we really have for Dermott right now. Maybe he should be on 2PP because I bet he would be better than Muzzin and Brodie, but otherwise what else can we really do for him? Take minutes from better defensemen? It's not his fault we have depth for once.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ahead of Muzzin and Rielly? I guess he could move over to RD, but we have Brodie there now and Holl is also there. Weegar got his chance because Florida struggled to find better options, not much unlike Holl here.

Dermott received looks when there were injuries and did well, but unless Rielly or Muzzin gets seriously injured or fall off of a cliff in the next couple of months, this is all we really have for Dermott right now. Maybe he should be on 2PP because I bet he would be better than Muzzin and Brodie, but otherwise what else can we really do for him? Take minutes from better defensemen? It's not his fault we have depth for once.

If you want minutes, you have to prove you deserve them. Make yourself better on the PK, where he’s averaging eight seconds a game. You want more time, excel on those special teams.

You excel, you’ll get increased time, and others minutes will get managed more. He doesn’t need to be better than Muzzin or Rielly, just good enough to deserve to be there more.

I like the kid, but hope for more from him.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If you want minutes, you have to prove you deserve them. Make yourself better on the PK, where he’s averaging eight seconds a game. You want more time, excel on those special teams.

You excel, you’ll get increased time, and others minutes will get managed more. He doesn’t need to be better than Muzzin or Rielly, just good enough to deserve to be there more.

The bolded makes no sense.

How do you prove/improve yourself on the PK if you don't play? The simple fact is, the coach has 4 veteran D who all PK and have for years, so it's less of a condemnation about how Dermott is playing on the PK than the experience the other D have on the PK. He'll get his chance if he's here next season.

Weegar got a chance because there were no other options, not because he "forced his way there" due to his pay. They were sink or swim with him, and 90% of the time, it would be sink.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

As @kb said, easier said than done.

It's not like our PK sucks, or has a weak link, so there is literally no incentive for Keefe to try out an unproven option like Dermott at this point. As I said, if someone falls off of a cliff or gets hurt, then he has a chance. None of those things have happened at this point. Now maybe he can get a shot on the PP at some point, but Keefe seems to want to run with the vets there too.

Weegar did not "earn" his minutes. He was given them when they had no other choice and he did not suck, so he continued getting them. Literally the same thing that took Holl from a 12 minute guy under Babcock to a 20+ minute guy under Keefe. Dermott has only been given those chances when Muzzin and Rielly were hurt, but he lost them as soon as they were healthy again.

Dermott is facing the same kind of issue that Liljegren is facing right now except he is trying to crack the top 4 instead of any spot in our top 6. I don't think you can watch Liljegren in the AHL right now and say he is "not good enough" for at least an extended look in the NHL but he has yet to even receive a game because we'd have to take out Bogosian, Holl, or Brodie; all of which have performed well for the vast majority of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->