Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - The AHL is up and prospects are in play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Analysis: This news isn’t any sort of surprise. Amirov’s KHL postseason will be ending soon, so it’s about time he considers a move to Canada. But as some players have proven in the past, that move isn’t always the easiest thing to agree on. It can be kicked down the road. So to hear confidence about Amirov’s deal is certainly pleasing.
It’s also a relief. There has been a quiet pest around NHL rumours as of late, saying that the Leafs would be willing to deal a top prospect if it meant greater odds of success this year. That’s a great plan for most teams but it raised eyebrows of the fanbase because the Leafs are already so talented and so young. Dealing a top prospect for a short-term name might only serve to hurt the team in two-to-three years. But it seems at least Amirov is safe, at least per Koshan. The team will begin contract talks with him after the NHL Trade Deadline

From Lastwordonhockey

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Goalies are voodoo that's for sure.

Maybe Scott can do something.

Scott would be used to playing behind defenses like this from his Prince Albert days, so maybe he will. Although he also had a ton of bad habits and cheating as a result, so hopefully he doesn't regress to them. I hope he does well, but with that defense, I don't think he will have many more good games than Woll has been having.

Woll outplayed Lindgren, made huge saves, and did not give up any weak goals and yet we still gave up 4 goals... To a team that, while adding Caufield, has very little lethal firepower beyond him. At some point Moore, Gilman, and the guys on that defense need to figure their **** out or we are never going to have a goalie who has numbers above .900.

It is early, but so far the goalie (who has played more than a couple of games) with the best save percentage under Moore is Kaskisuo, and Kaskisuo only had a .905 under Moore last year. Kaskisuo was also one of the top AHL goalies before Moore arrived (he had a .920+ save percentage under Keefe before he took over for Babcock and had a .927 in the 2018-2019 playoffs). Woll had a .900 before Moore arrived vs. .868 after... And Woll was a lot worse last year (under both coaches) than he has looked this year. Now he has a .878 this year after having a .902 before that disgusting team effort in the Belleville game. D'Agostini has a .890 and that includes a Cinderella run to start the season, but also includes a disgusting effort in that Stockton game. I expect Scott or VV or anyone else we put in net to have some good games, but I doubt anyone has more sustainable success behind this defense than we have seen out of Kaskisuo, Woll, and D'Agostini thus far.

Since Moore's first game with the Marlies on December 26th, 2019, the Marlies have given up 5 or more goals in 18 of their 53 games. That's 1 in every 3 games where we are spotting the other team 5 goals. For perspective, you would have to go back 100 games before Moore to hit the same number of games with 5+ goals given up, and even that is pretty bad. If we go to the years when we had a really strong defense beyond mostly Sandin/Liljegren, we rarely ever had bad defensive games.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Well Leafs have a pretty good track record developing prospects.

Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Hyman, Brown, Galchenyuk now.

I mean if I had to pick an organization to develop these two prospects, it'd be the Leafs.

If I had to pick an organization to ruin these prospects development (Galchenyuk, Drouin, Leblanc) it'd be the Habs
Galchenyuk is no longer a prospect.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
I wouldn't write off the goalie prospects just yet. I'm willing to wait a few more years before deeming them done as prospects and potential to be anything significant. I say that cause of how long it takes for a goalie to develop and the injuries both goalies have had, the terrible team and coach in front of them doesn't help plus COVID not helping the situation either.

I'm willing to be patient. The team has nothing else as it is so why not give them a chance?

Reactions: Northernguy10

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Well Leafs have a pretty good track record developing prospects.

Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Hyman, Brown, Galchenyuk now.

I mean if I had to pick an organization to develop these two prospects, it'd be the Leafs.

If I had to pick an organization to ruin these prospects development (Galchenyuk, Drouin, Leblanc) it'd be the Habs

Leblanc was a bad pick, a bust. Galchenyuk was good for a couple of seasons. There are other external factors that explain his sudden decline. Drouin sucks ass with a straw. He can't handle the pressure.

Development is better with Bouchard as coach. Our previous AHL and NHL coaches were dinosaurs. I'm more confident with the success of our young players moving forward.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not about comparing players all that much, but judging players on a sample size of ... 1 game... seems pretty... ungood.

It's the problem around here. Folks usually don't watch these guys play so the rare time they see leaves a disproportionate impact in their minds.

When it's obvious no serious scouting analysis (good or bad) can be gleamed from just one game

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
It's the problem around here. Folks usually don't watch these guys play so the rare time they see leaves a disproportionate impact in their minds.

When it's obvious no serious scouting analysis (good or bad) can be gleamed from just one game
I would disagree simply because, say for example, you watched one game with Mitch Marner and Wayne Simmonds playing. You aren’t going to watch a full game and say, “I think Marner is the better player but I’ll need to watch more games to be sure”.
People getting on my case over pumping Caulfields tires over Robertson but it was a great chance to see them both at a pro level and compare obvious skill sets.
Most people who watched last night and had seen all of Robertson’s pro games would realize that there is a definite and apparent skill discrepancy.
I’ll be watching again today though and maybe I’ll change my mind. I’m pretty fickle and annoying that way.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I wouldn't write off the goalie prospects just yet. I'm willing to wait a few more years before deeming them done as prospects and potential to be anything significant. I say that cause of how long it takes for a goalie to develop and the injuries both goalies have had, the terrible team and coach in front of them doesn't help plus COVID not helping the situation either.

I'm willing to be patient. The team has nothing else as it is so why not give them a chance?
100%...Took the words right out of my mouth.

Reactions: New Liskeard

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
lord almighty no wonder this team cant win games. that lineup is an absolute dumpster fire.
They literally have 2 probable/guaranteed nhlers and a bunch of ahl scrubs who are bottom pairing/bottom 6 in the AHL.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Not surprising that Brazeau, McMann, Hoefenmayer, and Hollowell are out there for another GA after getting hemmed in...

Reactions: Atomos2

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I was excited to see Brazeau...man, he's horrible.

I am on the fence about giving him another chance next year, but he shouldn't be in our top 12 to start the year. Same goes for Elynuik.

I think those two should be fighting McKenna for a spot next year. The rest of the spots should go to proven veterans and our NHL prospects.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Usual suspects bailing out the team on offense but another poor defensive effort overall. Scott has made some nice saves and the Rocket have missed the net on some good chances.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is the easiest opponent Caufield has played. I would be more concerned if he didn't play well against these Marlies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad