Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - The AHL is up and prospects are in play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Hallander with 2 goals today in game 2 of their series.
Holmberg has 3 points in 2 games in his series
Would be a huge bonus if Hallander could take the 3C role next year and we move on from Kerfoot and his $3.5 million.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Would be a huge bonus if Hallander could take the 3C role next year and we move on from Kerfoot and his $3.5 million.

Not a center and not close to NHL ready. I would be surprised if he doesn't get at least 2 years in the AHL.

Reactions: smitty10

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Depends on his offensive game. A 0.5 PPG in the SHL is not going to translate with only one year in the AHL.
Depends on the context of those O.5 PPG. Was he getting top 6 minutes on the PP1, was he getting mostly defensive zone starts ect.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Depends on the context of those O.5 PPG. Was he getting top 6 minutes on the PP1, was he getting mostly defensive zone starts ect.

Hallander has been playing LW on Lulea's first line, sort of the puck retriever role that Hyman fills offensively (or at least used to fill). Not sure about PP time though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

If he wasn't given those minutes, then he should be given time on the Marlies with those minutes before he goes to the NHL.

Reactions: nuck

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Not sure if anyone read the below from Elliotte Friedman.

Maple Leafs Had “Intense” Talks On Conor Garland Before Foligno Trade

the interesting part was that there was 4 prospects that Dubas wasn’t willing to trade.

One of the teams told me after the deadline was over that when they were talking with Toronto, it was pretty clear: Toronto said, “We are not doing Robertson. We are not doing Sandin.” And I think they said they were not doing Liljegren or Amirov. Those were the four guys Toronto told them they weren’t doing. They basically knew that Toronto wanted to keep their prospects and they were willing to move picks.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

the interesting part was that there was 4 prospects that Dubas wasn’t willing to trade.

One of the teams told me after the deadline was over that when they were talking with Toronto, it was pretty clear: Toronto said, “We are not doing Robertson. We are not doing Sandin.” And I think they said they were not doing Liljegren or Amirov. Those were the four guys Toronto told them they weren’t doing. They basically knew that Toronto wanted to keep their prospects and they were willing to move picks.
Good to know Leafs are high on Liljegren.
Also this is interesting since Dubas said he is willing to trade a top prospect. So what this likely means Dubas was willing to move our other good prospects, but these 4 were untouchable.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Good to know Leafs are high on Liljegren.
Also this is interesting since Dubas said he is willing to trade a top prospect. So what this likely means Dubas was willing to move our other good prospects, but these 4 were untouchable.

As it should be. Surprised he used so many picks TBH. I feel like he could have picked up depth with prospects.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As it should be. Surprised he used so many picks TBH. I feel like he could have picked up depth with prospects.
Yeah 6 picks in the next 2 drafts isn't great but I think it shows the progress of our pool that Dubas was willing to trade picks. We have one of the more better and underrated systems in the league.
Plus the next 2 drafts seem like prime candidates where we move down.

Reactions: aingefan

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Dubas made a comment saying with how well our picks from last year's draft trended this year, he was more comfortable giving up picks in the next couple of drafts. Don't forget we made like 11-12 picks last year, just transfer 2 picks of those to the next 2 years each, if that makes people feel better.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah 6 picks in the next 2 drafts isn't great but I think it shows the progress of our pool that Dubas was willing to trade picks. We have one of the more better and underrated systems in the league.
Agreed. Gonna need some of those ELC guys and many in the prospect pool have played well in pro men’s leagues so could transition well.
He also said he’ll be a bit more active in the free markets, and can also trade down and get picks other ways.
And still has next years first and second for next years deadline :)

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

That's good to hear. My concern with Liljegren is that he was a Hunter pick, not sure what Dubas' involvement was in his selection tho, it may well have been a unanimous selection among our scouts.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
That's good to hear. My concern with Liljegren is that he was a Hunter pick, not sure what Dubas' involvement was in his selection tho, it may well have been a unanimous selection among our scouts.
The thing is that Liljegren does everything well that Dubas and his team have valued since they took over the reigns.

It would be silly for them to dismiss him as a Hunter guy especially having seen his progression as a prospect.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I don’t see Dubas as a big ego guy, who is all that concerned with who made the pick.

Reactions: Lauro and Cor

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Dubas made a comment saying with how well our picks from last year's draft trended this year, he was more comfortable giving up picks in the next couple of drafts. Don't forget we made like 11-12 picks last year, just transfer 2 picks of those to the next 2 years each, if that makes people feel better.
That's a good call. Really we just need a couple/few middle 6 or bottom 4 type replacements out of the system for the next few years and that assumes we can't re-sign all of those on the roster right now or find other avenues to replace them which Dubas has been excellent at.

star level ELC talent is great but not really necessary, this is already a contending team and just needs to be maintained. I think too much gets made of direct roster comparisons where people tend to think you need to be the best roster to have a real shot at the cup, and it's way less certain than that. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington have shown what the best way to build is - keep your hat in the ring for long periods of time, then pull the plug and full rebuild when you can't anymore, repeat.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

this is quality General Managing IMO. There is a future to mortgage for the present, but its clearly not these 4 prospects. 3 of the 4 prospects listed are NHL ready on ELC deals. And Rodian is probably a year away from those 3. I hate to see that we only have 3 picks in the upcoming draft, but KD has always shown a willingness to get more picks come draft day via trade. I am not worried at all. Kerfoot, Engvall, and Dermott can all be shipped for picks after the season is completed. However we do need all 3 of those players for this playoff run. Even if we only acquire 5th rounders for those players. We won't be protecting any of those players, So may as well recover something for them. And then most of the picks you lost at the TDL, get recovered post playoffs (in quantity, not in terms of quality of the pick itself). The way the Leafs staff have drafted of late, I'll take any picks regardless of rounds.

Its so nice knowing you have a competent management group who understands cap management and looks well beyond 1 postseason. The Leafs are in the best position they have ever been in during the cap era. And the future looks even brighter TBH.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dubas wasn't part of the drafts from 2016-2017. He didn't have much input. Hunter had full control. Even 2015, Dubas only handled trades.
I was getting concerned as well that Dubas may be showing biases towards his own picks, but what Elliotte said calms me a little bit. As the other user said, Liljegren is a Dubas type player.

Reactions: supermann_98

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

There are some prospects who have value but won't have futures with us unless they take major leaps (Hollowell should have been moved at this TDL for example).

Moving down from a late 2nd won't get us much anyways. I think we will supplant our pool a little bit by moving Engvall for a 3rd round pick type return and Malgin can probably get a 4th or 5th rounder himself (he just had 2 points in Lausanne's first playoff game and was almost a PPG in the NLA this year), but last year was pretty thin after the 4th round (even though we got Miettinen). This year, there is an opportunity for major steals and some quality players at positions we need (center and goalie). Not really sure about 2022's depth yet but at least we have our 1st and 2nd from that draft (although who knows for how long) and it looks like it can be the best of 2020 and 2021 in one draft without any high end goalies.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad