Marlies / Prospects Thread Spring 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
Pretty sure Dave Morrison just said that he weighed 180 or around that. Maybe he only gained 5 pounds and everyone is fighting for nothing. :laugh:

When you start talking about muscle gain on HF, all of the people that so much as go to the gym come out with their expert opinions on what is and isn't possible in terms of training and muscle gain.

I don't know **** about training or muscle gain, I just find it funny how many really strong and confident opinions come out on opposite ends of the matter (some are 100% sure it's possible, others positive it's not, everyone claiming to know from experience :laugh: ).

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Marlies Twitter have them signing the ECHL MVP Mickey Lang to 1 year AHL contract. Scored 44 goals last year.

https://twitter.com/TorontoMarlies/status/491235875246718976

Mickey Lang
Center -- shoots R
Born Aug 13 1986 -- Reno, NV
[27 yrs. ago]
Height 5.09 -- Weight 185 [175 cm/84 kg]

i'm pretty pumped for this. Worst case, we send him down to Orlando (we're with them again this year, right?) and he leads that team.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
When you start talking about muscle gain on HF, all of the people that so much as go to the gym come out with their expert opinions on what is and isn't possible in terms of training and muscle gain.

I don't know **** about training or muscle gain, I just find it funny how many really strong and confident opinions come out on opposite ends of the matter (some are 100% sure it's possible, others positive it's not, everyone claiming to know from experience :laugh: ).

It probably all true. People have a huge range everyone has a different experience.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
we'll atleast it shows how passionate we all are and also how slow the news has been, really can't want for preseason and training camp.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Any Leaf prospects on the World Junior radar for this year? I assume guys like Nylander, Gauthier, Johnson are locks. Herzog too probably.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Any Leaf prospects on the World Junior radar for this year? I assume guys like Nylander, Gauthier, Johnson are locks. Herzog too probably.

Johnson and Herzog are too old for this year's WJC, they both turn 20 before it starts.

I would say Gauthier, Nylander and Verhaeghe are likely to play, and Valiev could make the Russian team if he has a good year.

Number13

May 21, 2007
He doesn't need to be a tank. Kadri is a prime example of a guy that bulked up too much and lost a bit of a step. I'd rather have Nylander at 180lbs-185lbs and burning past Chara, then have him at 200lbs trying to muscle by him. If you have elite speed you don't have to be big, you just have to be daft, an attribute that Nylander has in spades.

Kadri bulked up from potato chips, not working at the gym, that's why he slowed down. Nylander is ripped on the other hand, don't think there's any fat on him.

Mar 12, 2009
Kadri bulked up from potato chips, not working at the gym, that's why he slowed down. Nylander is ripped on the other hand, don't think there's any fat on him.

I have heard from a second hand source (Professor who is a Leaf fan with several students having worked at Wendy's) that he was known to be a frequent customer at Wendy's in the offseason in London. Don't remember if this was just while he played in London or if it continued while with the Marlies, but I thought it was quite funny when he told me he'd heard that from a few different people :laugh: .

I like Kadri a lot, I thought he'd maybe be faster in the NHL than he is because he was pretty quick in junior, at least the times I got to see him play. Hopefully he has a good offseason.

Tyler Biggs*

Andreas Johnson... Better Late Than Never:

The odds are always against a 7th round pick making it to the National Hockey League but the Toronto Maple Leafs like their chances in Andreas Johnson.

After all, the last two Leafs 7th rounders to make the club were also Swedes in Anton Stralman in 2005 followed by Carl Gunnarsson in 2007.

Johnson was selected 202nd overall in 2013.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726723

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
David Booth just made the Leafs even more crowded. Hope some of these Marlies kids still get chances, and if Booth doesn't workout (though I hope he does), mgmt is not too shy to drop Booth to the Marlies to make room for others.

Tyler Biggs*

Maple Leafs: Six prospects who stood out at camp: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/07/19/maple_leafs_six_prospects_who_stood_out_at_camp.html

William Nylander, Connor Brown, Frederik Gauthier, Dominic Toninato, Rinat Valiev and Jack Flinn.

These six were among those who stood out at the recent Maple Leafs’ prospects camp. They are all on different timetables, with different expectations weighing on them. Their paths to the NHL — if they ever make it — will be as different as their paths this summer.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Dubas on David Broll

A lot of people attempt to cast David as solely someone who will make the NHL as a 4th line enforcer, when the truth he was one of our top possession players throughout this past season. David played both centre and wing for our hockey club at times and the majority of his minutes played at even strength came versus the opponents top 6 forwards. His contributions in the offensive end are not always appreciated because his driving of play does not always result in goals, but coming versus the opposition's top players we prefer to play in the offensive zone and David proved to be very reliable in attaining this goal."

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas on David Broll

Very interesting. I know people have him as a 4th liner, but imo he didn't look out of place when he played with Kadri and Lupul in the games he did last season. Was always trying, was always getting in on the forecheck. I know it was a small sample size, but I liked him on that line a helluva lot more than Clarkson, that's for sure.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Can't wait to see how Johnson develops!

Dubas on David Broll

Very interesting: Broll has always intrigued me, the guy is like pure muscle, and a lot of scouting reports I've read post draft year say he has some surprising hands. Could be an ideal 4thliner for us in a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad