Marlies / Prospects Thread Spring 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Biggs*

One of the better farm teams in the league, definitely not THE best but in the top 1/3 of the league easy. Management has built a perennial contender with the Marlies and I want to see some of these kids finally get a chance and help bring that winning mentality to the big club. When Kadri and Frattin finally got a shot on the big club the Leafs made playoffs that year and did well against a Bruins team that only the Hawks were able to beat more then twice. Time for the kids to get a chance, free agency obviously isn't working as a long term solution.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
No he did not. He is 5'11.5". The only place that had him at 5'9" is hockeydb, and now it is spreading.

ahhh he just said he was undersized, but he did say that over this year he did get taller and thicker, so maybe all the ones with 5'9 are just a bit outdated, either way he does need to get stronger, anyone does.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Bibeau will probably be back in the Q for an overage year

You think? I'd think he would be splitting time in the ECHL/AHL, like Sparks/Gibson did last year. If we didn't bring Bibeau up to pro hockey, we'd only have 2 goalies signed for the Marlies.

I agree, if the intention was to send him back for an overage year, then why bother to sign him and burn off the 1st year of his ELC when they could have waited until after this season to sign him?

I expect this year for him will likely be similar to Gibson's year last season: start in the ECHL as the #1 guy, then earn some games with the Marlies towards the 2nd half of the season.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I agree, if the intention was to send him back for an overage year, then why bother to sign him and burn off the 1st year of his ELC when they could have waited until after this season to sign him?

I expect this year for him will likely be similar to Gibson's year last season: start in the ECHL as the #1 guy, then earn some games with the Marlies towards the 2nd half of the season.

i think with the uncertainty of reimer maybe nonis thought gibson could be a stop gap backup for the leafs and have sparks/bibeau with the marlies?

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario

I don't think you can take anything for granted when the Leafs have three young goalies in the farm. Bibeau could actually end up starting for the Marlies if he takes the job. I don't think Sparks is the defacto starter by any means. Gibson could also shine and take it. Personally, I like the competition between the young goalies.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

If he went back to junior, a year would not be used of his ELC.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We need Bibeau right now in terms of our 5th stringer, or at least to challenge Gibson or even Sparks for a role on the Marlies. Of course a AHL career goaltender can fill that void, which is how we found MacIntyre in the first place, but I think Bibeau splitting time between Orlando and Toronto wouldn't be a bad thing for him. He'd likely play a lot in the ECHL if he's there and play sporadically with the Marlies if it comes to that. It's basically what Reimer, Sparks and Gibson went through. Scrivens also went through that but he was from the college ranks.

It will really depend on how well he does at the rookie tournament and at the training camp. If they feel like he isn't pro ready, he'll be sent back to the QMJHL. Nothing is in black and white here.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
If he went back to junior, a year would not be used of his ELC.

It would because he would be an overager (slide rule is only for players who are under 20 before the calender year changes), similar to what they did with Jamie Devane.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Man I hope Clarkson isn't on the second line again. It was a bad fit with Kadri and Lupul. Putting him with Komarov on the third or Bodie on the fourth would be my preference.

Last edited:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Man I hope Clarkson isn't on the second line again. It was a bad fit with Kadri and Lupul. Putting him with Komarov on the third or Bodie on the fourth would be my preference.

i dont disagree but i think at $5.25 million he will be given every opportunity to play on the 2nd line. i also wouldnt be shocked to see someone like kadri moved onto a different line and someone like kontiola tried between lupul and clarkson.

imo clarkson should his best moments last year with bolland briefly and holland. i think it is because they are all north south players. lupul and kadri are too shifty for clarkson, he cant keep up and process the game at their speed.

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kontiola-clarkson
komorov-kadri-holland
frattin-santorelli-bodie

this might be work? (assuming kontiola is an nhl player)

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
i dont disagree but i think at $5.25 million he will be given every opportunity to play on the 2nd line. i also wouldnt be shocked to see someone like kadri moved onto a different line and someone like kontiola tried between lupul and clarkson.

imo clarkson should his best moments last year with bolland briefly and holland. i think it is because they are all north south players. lupul and kadri are too shifty for clarkson, he cant keep up and process the game at their speed.

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kontiola-clarkson
komorov-kadri-holland
frattin-santorelli-bodie

this might be work? (assuming kontiola is an nhl player)

Clarkson should play with Holland. Holland is a puck carrier and a shooter. Kadri thinks on a level Clarkson can't comprehend, Holland just takes the puck and gets it on net. Clarkson can make a living just being there for the rebounds, tips, tap-ins, etc. He needs to keep it simple, play down the lineup against weaker opposition, and work his way up to the second line when/if he proves last year was a fluke.

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.500m)
Leo Komarov ($2.950m) / Peter Holland ($0.775m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Carter Ashton ($0.851m) / Petri Kontiola ($1.100m) / Matt Frattin ($0.800m)
Troy Bodie ($0.600m) / Trevor Smith ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jake Gardiner ($2.700m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m)
Morgan Rielly ($0.894m) / Stephane Robidas ($3.000m)
Stuart Percy ($0.863m) / Roman Polak ($2.750m)
Petter Granberg ($0.800m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($2.900m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
Mikhail Grabovski ($0.000m)
Tim Gleason ($0.833m)
RETAINED SALARIES (0.29% of upper limit)
Carl Gunnarsson ($0.200m—6.35%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$450,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,266,333; BONUSES: $1,162,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,733,667

And this may sound crazy, but I don't really have a problem with this lineup.. It's interesting going into a year where we could be lottery bad, or could sneak into the playoffs. It almost got boring last year watching my other team, the Blues, stone cold stunner everyone for 82 games.

As for next year, I'd like to see something like this up front:

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri Nylander
Leivo Holland Clarkson
Ashton Carrick Komarov
Frattin

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Gauthier won't be a candidate for the Leafs until after another year in junior to work on offense.

Leivo needs another year in AHL to lead team in goals.

Nylander just needs to grow a little . No sense in rushing him. AHL or Sweden.

Carrack would be my dark horse to make the Leafs as a 4th line centre. With all the centers just signed it would be tough. Holland, Kontiola possibly Santorelli would have to be beaten out, although they can all play wing as well. Lots of options.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
^^^ Nylander already added 10ish pounds, considering he was 173 pounds at the combine and Morrison now says he is 180+ pounds

Agree with the Gauthier and Leivo assesments. Carrick was my darkhorse, but Konitola pretty much ends that. Maybe next seasons

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
^^^ Nylander already added 10ish pounds, considering he was 173 pounds at the combine and Morrison now says he is 180+ pounds

Agree with the Gauthier and Leivo assesments. Carrick was my darkhorse, but Konitola pretty much ends that. Maybe next seasons

Really? :amazed: That's ridiculous...

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
There is no chance that Nylander put on ten pounds since the draft. None.

Either way, said it before, I’ll say it again; weight is SO overrated on these boards. It is strength and balance that matter.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I agree that weight is over rated especially incrementally in and around 200 pounds.
Though I'd like to say that there's a difference between honestly weighing in at 173 and 180+ one month apart and in gaining 10 pounds of muscle.
Any persons body can swing a decent amount through the course of a day depending on hydration, food intake, activity etc.

I'd say that likely his "true weight" lies somewhere in between the two, with no really change

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
There is no chance that Nylander put on ten pounds since the draft. None.

Either way, said it before, I’ll say it again; weight is SO overrated on these boards. It is strength and balance that matter.

Last time he was weighed was at the draft Combine probably. That's like an entire month before the draft so it's very possible he gained 10 pounds since.

Jacob8hockey*

Last time he was weighed was at the draft Combine probably. That's like an entire month before the draft so it's very possible he gained 10 pounds since.

And in the not so positive part it doesn't necessarily have to be 10 lbs of muscle either. I'm sure the last while has been pretty hectic with a lot of non home cooked meals since he isn't at home and who knows if it has been healthy or not. Some partying etc...

10 lbs is not hard to believe for me.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I could easily put 10 pounds on. I don't see why it would be such a hard thing to do. haha

I hope they commit 100% to Nylander, one way or another. The last thing the Leafs would want is another Kadri situation. Either he is ready or he's not.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't get how the Marlies forward lineup is going to work this year. Defense makes sense for the most part as long as MacWilliam will be a full time 7th defenseman in the NHL, but the forwards just don't make sense.

Leivo-Smith-Brown
Abbott-McKegg-Biggs
Broll-Carrick-Kozun
Devane-Rupert-Orr
Ross/McLaren

Personally, if it's not the above lineup we've got to do this:
-Make a prospect swap involving Ross or Broll to get a center
-Move McLaren and/or Orr
-Sign Matt Rupert

Leivo-Smith-Brown
Abbott-McKegg-Biggs
M.Rupert-R.Rupert-Kozun
Devane-Center-Carrick
Ross/Broll

That is a lineup that can make sense. The bottom line would consist of players who could play around 10 minutes plus Carrick playing special team time and potentially moving up and down the lineup with the other RW's. The Rupert twins play together again where they've been very successful in the OHL and are to be excellent 3rd liners. The top 6 is solid minus Biggs if he can't perform. Then he's just swapped with Kozun and plays 3rd line where he can be good.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
unless herzog is playing in switzerland, i'd say

leivo-smith-abbott
kozun-mcgregg-herzog
broll-carrick-brown
devane/ross-rupert-biggs

percy-nilsson
loov-holzer
macwilliam-knodel

gibson
sparks