44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If Nylander hits his potential or we get a good pick in this draft:

Nylander/2015 1st
Kadri
Gauthier/Bozak
Carrick

Our C depth is improving (long-term, it definitely took a step back for this year). Improving our wingers 2-way play would also help as Lupul will be moved before Gauthier sis with the Leafs (in my opinion) and hopefully we have an improvement on #2RW.

Tyler Biggs*

As well I am excited to see some of the youth like Granberg, MacWilliam, Percy, Loov, Finn. As well some increased ice time for Gardiner and Rielly. With the additions of Robidas and Polak.... something has to give.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/07/23/mlhs-in-conversation-with-dave-morrison-part-1/

Great interview with Dave Morrison. Highly recommended. Good insight with their philosophy, talking about Nylander and what position he'll play in the NHL and among other things.

thanks for the link i guess this clears alot of info. basically he's 5'11 already, around 180lb I think most people should be fine now about the questions he is small it was just outdated info and maybe even he will grow more. Looking forward to camp.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/07/23/mlhs-in-conversation-with-dave-morrison-part-1/

Great interview with Dave Morrison. Highly recommended. Good insight with their philosophy, talking about Nylander and what position he'll play in the NHL and among other things.

how does nylander compare to kadri size wise when he was at that age?

i get the impression from the article that leafs expect he will be a winger at the nhl level. hopefully leafs put a lot of time into teaching him the defensive side of the game and how to take a faceoff well. i dont see why he couldnt be a giroux type center.

Ace88*

Nylander right now is considerably more built than Kadri was when he was drafted. He was a little scrawn. Nylander's shredded.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Nylander right now is considerably more built than Kadri was when he was drafted. He was a little scrawn. Nylander's shredded.

Right. Even today, while Kadri may technically be an athletic person, he still doesn't not have an athletic body. He is "skinny-fat", and when drafted was not only skinny but also did not appear to be built like an athlete.

What Nylander lacks is some thickness and overall 'heaviness' that will come with a little more natural filling out and growing up. But he already has a very athletic build and has some full muscle in all of the right places.

He may not be too heavy but he is lightyears beyond where Kadri was when drafted. I'd go as far as to say while Kadri may be heavier right now, Nylander is still far more built and built for the sport.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Right. Even today, while Kadri may technically be an athletic person, he still doesn't not have an athletic body. He is "skinny-fat", and when drafted was not only skinny but also did not appear to be built like an athlete.

What Nylander lacks is some thickness and overall 'heaviness' that will come with a little more natural filling out and growing up. But he already has a very athletic build and has some full muscle in all of the right places.

He may not be too heavy but he is lightyears beyond where Kadri was when drafted. I'd go as far as to say while Kadri may be heavier right now, Nylander is still far more built and built for the sport.

Nylander is neither above nor below average. He is right where a 19 year old kid training to be an NHL player should be. Kadri, on the other hand, was below average. He didn't put the work in.

The real question with Nylander is whether anyone thinks he can go into the corners with a defenseman like Robyn Regehr, or Shea Weber, or any of the other mammoth NHL D-men that are out that that can also skate. That is the real question. Is Nylander physically mature enough to handle NHL defenseman down in the trenches, and in front of the net, the places you need to go to score goals. I think that question is still very very uncertain. There are not many guys his size who can play in the league at 19 and play a two way responsible game. That is why I think the Leafs need to take it slow with him.

Ace88*

Nylander is neither above nor below average. He is right where a 19 year old kid training to be an NHL player should be. Kadri, on the other hand, was below average. He didn't put the work in.

The real question with Nylander is whether anyone thinks he can go into the corners with a defenseman like Robyn Regehr, or Shea Weber, or any of the other mammoth NHL D-men that are out that that can also skate. That is the real question. Is Nylander physically mature enough to handle NHL defenseman down in the trenches, and in front of the net, the places you need to go to score goals. I think that question is still very very uncertain. There are not many guys his size who can play in the league at 19 and play a two way responsible game. That is why I think the Leafs need to take it slow with him.

Good thing we drafted him to make high end skill plays and not be a bottom 6 plugger then.

He'll be fine.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
how does nylander compare to kadri size wise when he was at that age?

i get the impression from the article that leafs expect he will be a winger at the nhl level. hopefully leafs put a lot of time into teaching him the defensive side of the game and how to take a faceoff well. i dont see why he couldnt be a giroux type center.

Funny. The impression I got was the reverse. He talks about what the requirements are for Willie to be a center, how they are going to try and develop those sides, and if that doesn't work then he will be a winger. So not much mention of expectations, but a clear indication of what they hope for.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Is Chris Gibson still with the team? Garret Sparks seems to have quite the sense of entitlement, spending waaaay too much time on a FB page called Goalie Gear ***** United.
He assumes he's the starter heading into the season, and has said he's one injury away from being an NHL backup. Confidence is good, but Sparks sounds like a bit of a ******.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is Chris Gibson still with the team? Garret Sparks seems to have quite the sense of entitlement, spending waaaay too much time on a FB page called Goalie Gear ***** United.
He assumes he's the starter heading into the season, and has said he's one injury away from being an NHL backup. Confidence is good, but Sparks sounds like a bit of a ******.

He is and Bibeau is also in the fold as well.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Good thing we drafted him to make high end skill plays and not be a bottom 6 plugger then.

He'll be fine.

You don't think top 6 players need to be able to cycle the puck down low and play in the corners? Confused by your response.. Look at the past 3 or 4 Stanley Cup Winners. Their top 6 plays with skill and grit. Grit entails playing below the goal line effectively.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/07/25/in-conversation-with-dave-morrison-part-3/'

Part 3 of the interview with Morrison.

Anthony Petrielli: I’ve noticed a theme in your draft history where you give a late pick or two to Thommie Bergman to use. Has there been any thought in bringing him overseas to pick apart the OHL or the USHL, or something along those lines?

Dave Morrison: He comes over every year. On that note, and I’ve had to explain it a few times, some of these Swedish players we’ve drafted some of our North American guys have liked better than Thommie has. I don’t want to take anything away from Thommie, but it’s not just Thommie drafting these players. I really want to make a note that Peter Ihnacak, our number two guy in Europe, is really involved as well and does a lot of scouting in Scandinavia. I think to say it’s Thommie Bergman alone would be a little bit misleading. The picks Thommie has made, outside of maybe one in the last 9 or 10 years, have been seen by a lot of our scouts. Also, to say that we don’t lean on Thommie would be untrue because we do lean on him for some of the players in the area, like we would lean on any other scout when we draft a player from their area. When we drafted Morgan Rielly, I leaned a lot on Garth Malarchuk and Roy Stasiuk from the West. Those guys knew this player, they had a longer background. I just wanted to make sure that what I thought was right they believed also. When we draft a guy from Sweden, even though we like him as a staff and Thommie likes him, I am going to go to Thommie and say, “is this right? what we’re seeing, is that correct?” That’s where Thommie has done a fantastic job. He’s done a really good job. He has also identified them initially. That’s all a part of the process and that’s where Thommie has done a really good job, but it’s not just Thommie and nobody else sees them. That’s not correct. When we draft a player we draft them as a team, and everybody else is involved as well.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
So does Dubas run the Marlies now? The Marlies site has the GM job listed as vacant. Traditionally it's always been the Assistant GM's job.

Might be prudent to let him run it to introduce him to the professional game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So does Dubas run the Marlies now? The Marlies site has the GM job listed as vacant. Traditionally it's always been the Assistant GM's job.

Might be prudent to let him run it to introduce him to the professional game.

Poulin, the VP of Hockey Operations, was the Marlies GM previously.

I think Dubas could be that guy, but I think whoever they hire to replace Poulin's role, I think will also get the Marlies responsibility.

Ace88*

You don't think top 6 players need to be able to cycle the puck down low and play in the corners? Confused by your response.. Look at the past 3 or 4 Stanley Cup Winners. Their top 6 plays with skill and grit. Grit entails playing below the goal line effectively.

Sure they do. But im saying that on his line Nylander won't be the guy relied upon to do that dirty work, so why are we worried? Let him do his thing.

Unless, in classic leaf fan fashion, we crucify him by age 23 for not being eric lindros or patrice bergeron or something.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
for the past ten years the conversion rates on 2nd rounders has been really good. Even jimmy hayes has played in the nhl. 2009 an d 2010 picks could have been better in my opinion. Pickings after ross were slim (toffoli) while 2009 pick could have been improved. But 2nd round picks were pretty successful.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
for the past ten years the conversion rates on 2nd rounders has been really good. Even jimmy hayes has played in the nhl. 2009 an d 2010 picks could have been better in my opinion. Pickings after ross were slim (toffoli) while 2009 pick could have been improved. But 2nd round picks were pretty successful.

Furthermore, it looks like some of the best players from the 2011 draft will come from the top half of the 2nd round. Oops.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I'm satisfied with percy though. I thought biggs' stats in the ushl were awful in his 2010-11 season. I would think biggs' skillset would be more suited for the 2nd round. I don't really know why biggs' was ranked mid-1st.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm satisfied with percy though. I thought biggs' stats in the ushl were awful in his 2010-11 season. I would think biggs' skillset would be more suited for the 2nd round. I don't really know why biggs' was ranked mid-1st.

While he's no wizard offensively, his hands aren't made of stone and he can shoot the puck. As crazy as it might seem now, there was good reason to believe he could be more than a fourth line mucker. That's still the case to some degree, though a slow start to this season would end that quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad