Marlies / Prospects Thread Spring 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Sure they do. But im saying that on his line Nylander won't be the guy relied upon to do that dirty work, so why are we worried? Let him do his thing.

Unless, in classic leaf fan fashion, we crucify him by age 23 for not being eric lindros or patrice bergeron or something.

The discussion is not about the type of player he might be at 23, it's the type of player that he is now, and most importantly he needs to be able to handle the physical side of the game in order to be an NHL player right now. We need our top 6 players to lead the way when it comes to the type of game we are going to play. Having guys in the top 6 who are not ready to battle in the corners is a recipe for disaster.

You think Nylander can handle himself against Anze Kopitar in the corners and come out with the puck right now? If you do you're foolish.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The discussion is not about the type of player he might be at 23, it's the type of player that he is now, and most importantly he needs to be able to handle the physical side of the game in order to be an NHL player right now. We need our top 6 players to lead the way when it comes to the type of game we are going to play. Having guys in the top 6 who are not ready to battle in the corners is a recipe for disaster.

You think Nylander can handle himself against Anze Kopitar in the corners and come out with the puck right now? If you do you're foolish.

This is getting a bit ridiculous. You don't need all of your top six forwards battling for their lives in the corners.

I'm not going to list them all because I'm on mobile, but I made a list of 35 regular fulltime NHL players who are impactful to some degree who are shorter than Nylander, and most of them are similar or lighter than Nylander is.

He's a bit below average and that's about it. The idea that someone of his stature can't play in the NHL is simply wrong.

I'm not saying we should play him, that's for camp to decide, but can we please get off of this?

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto

Not many players in general can handle Kopitar in the corners and come out on top. period.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
This is getting a bit ridiculous. You don't need all of your top six forwards battling for their lives in the corners.

I'm not going to list them all because I'm on mobile, but I made a list of 35 regular fulltime NHL players who are impactful to some degree who are shorter than Nylander, and most of them are similar or lighter than Nylander is.

He's a bit below average and that's about it. The idea that someone of his stature can't play in the NHL is simply wrong.

I'm not saying we should play him, that's for camp to decide, but can we please get off of this?

We can, just one final point. I am not saying in the slightest that a player of his size can't/won't play in the NHL. In fact, IMO, any player can play in the league so long as he has the desire/grit/heart to succeed. My only point is, if you want to be a Stanley Cup contender, there is just no way you play a rookie of his size as a top 6 forward next year. Now, the Leafs are probably not a Stanley Cup contender, so that point is probably moot. Point still stands however, that we do not know how he would fare down low against NHL defenseman, and we certainly do not want him developing into another Kessel light who plays no defense, has no grit, and isn't physical. We need to start developing well rounded players who can score. Our top 6 cannot be a punch of skilled "floaters," because if they are we will not be winning anything any time soon.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
We can, just one final point. I am not saying in the slightest that a player of his size can't/won't play in the NHL. In fact, IMO, any player can play in the league so long as he has the desire/grit/heart to succeed. My only point is, if you want to be a Stanley Cup contender, there is just no way you play a rookie of his size as a top 6 forward next year. Now, the Leafs are probably not a Stanley Cup contender, so that point is probably moot. Point still stands however, that we do not know how he would fare down low against NHL defenseman, and we certainly do not want him developing into another Kessel light who plays no defense, has no grit, and isn't physical. We need to start developing well rounded players who can score. Our top 6 cannot be a punch of skilled "floaters," because if they are we will not be winning anything any time soon.

Keeping him out of the NHL isn't going to make him a rounded player who can fight along the boards. That makes no sense. Especially not playing in Sweden on bigger ice with less corner and board play.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
As well I am excited to see some of the youth like Granberg, MacWilliam, Percy, Loov, Finn. As well some increased ice time for Gardiner and Rielly. With the additions of Robidas and Polak.... something has to give.

It means the Leafs will not rush their prospects any more and all the guy's you mention will play another year in the ahl at least.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Keeping him out of the NHL isn't going to make him a rounded player who can fight along the boards. That makes no sense. Especially not playing in Sweden on bigger ice with less corner and board play.

But time will. Hence my entire point about how he might not be big enough to play in the league yet.. Moving on now.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No, a willingness to sacrifice and appreciation for team play will. Those are the types of things you have or you don't. Phil Kessel isn't any more of a board player now than he was when he started. Toews would skate through walls right out of junior.

Didn't I just explain how plenty of even smaller players are doing just fine so that's clearly not true? How come all these even smaller players can but Nylander can't until he's 6'0 200lbs and winning board battles against Kopitar?

Regardless of height and weight, as you become a man you will gain more strength, I think a few years in shl would be good for William to grow stronger, and keep out of toronto spotlight

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Should be an intersting season with Abbot back and getting more competition possibly from the upcoming Nylander. Biggs I hope shows some offensive improvement.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Plenty of smaller players who are 18 years old?

I don't care how old he is. If he can play he can play.

Again, I think your confusing the point here. Players need to play a 200 foot game now, especially if you play center. You think he's ready for that defensive responsibility, because I sure don't. He needs another year still, I think the Leafs brass probably feel the same way.

Based on what? Youtube highlights?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm still waiting to hear why not playing in the NHL will make him a 200 ft defensive guru you can win with, and why playing him at 18 prevents that from ever happening.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Should be an intersting season with Abbot back and getting more competition possibly from the upcoming Nylander. Biggs I hope shows some offensive improvement.

Abbott may not be coming back unless it's on an AHL contract. We haven't tendered an offer yet, nor has he signed a contract yet. Personally, I don't think there is a spot for him anymore with the Booth signing and potentially signing Matt Rupert.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Abbott may not be coming back unless it's on an AHL contract. We haven't tendered an offer yet, nor has he signed a contract yet. Personally, I don't think there is a spot for him anymore with the Booth signing and potentially signing Matt Rupert.

Why do you keep saying this?

He will be back. He was tendered a qualifying offer so that the team could retain his rights as he's an RFA, not a UFA. He can accept the $600,000 QO or try to sign a multi-year deal for some security.

He'll be back though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Why do you keep saying this?

He will be back. He was tendered a qualifying offer so that the team could retain his rights as he's an RFA, not a UFA. He can accept the $600,000 QO or try to sign a multi-year deal for some security.

He'll be back though.

He doesn't have a spot with the Marlies anymore. Unless we do a whole bunch of prospect swaps, where will he fit? I also don't know why he hasn't signed yet, so I didn't even think he was tendered an offer.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He doesn't have a spot with the Marlies anymore. Unless we do a whole bunch of prospect swaps, where will he fit? I also don't know why he hasn't signed yet, so I didn't even think he was tendered an offer.

He was probably the best full-time Marlie, other than Brennan/MacIntyre last season... I'm 99% sure they'll make room for him.

RiellyGood

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
Ugh I get annoyed hearing people bash Abbott I watched him play with Maine a lot he and Nyquist were interchangeably their best players ask anyone they're very close give the kid a chance

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
Just wondering if anyone here thinks Director Of Amateur Scouting DAve Morrison's job is in jeopardy & wonder where he stands amongst his peers.

Personally I like the guy & think he has done a good job in many respects, has a good staff & hope he stays but curious as to what others think.

Not saying that the scouting shouldn't be looked at but would be happy if he stays & perhaps some of Dubas' philosophies might begin to see some traction here first as a starting point within the organisation.

Ace88*

Dave Morrison's job is not in jeopardy if you ask me, nor should it be. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't have a clue.

Mar 12, 2009
There are a lot of expert analysts of scouting staff's on this board in particular, so you should be some strong opinions about Morrisson and his staff. Pretty funny stuff usually.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The way we've just gobbled up so many forwards to me might imply MGMT was looking for a little more out of Nylander this rookie camp, and he'll likely be doing OHL or Sweden. It was a stretch but now NHL looks doubtful and even AHL we are running out of spots there with Ashton and Holland looking like they'll start the year there

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
The way we've just gobbled up so many forwards to me might imply MGMT was looking for a little more out of Nylander this rookie camp, and he'll likely be doing OHL or Sweden. It was a stretch but now NHL looks doubtful and even AHL we are running out of spots there with Ashton and Holland looking like they'll start the year there

I don't think it implies anything of the sort. If Nylander's going to make the Leafs this year, it will be in a top-6 role; none of the guys we've brought in will be expected to fill one of those spots. I think there's next to no chance he'll be in the OHL, I expect him to play in a mens league next year, most likely the SHL or AHL (very slim chance of him cracking the Leafs, but he might get a 9 game look).

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Would anyone else like to see sammy carrick get a C on his jersey next season for the marlies? The kid seems like a great leader, He was captain before for the brampton battalion.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Would anyone else like to see sammy carrick get a C on his jersey next season for the marlies? The kid seems like a great leader, He was captain before for the brampton battalion.

1. Trevor Smith is likely to be back with the Marlies.

2. Captains in the AHL are almost always career AHLers.

Carrick does seem like he would make a good captain though.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I really like Morrisons drafting lately.

I would not want us to fire him.

Rielly and Nylander were really great picks.

But guys like Finn, Verhaghe, Brown Leivo and Carrick impress me most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad