Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI - Playoff Drive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The best thing about your post was no mention of Hainsey (who should retire after this year) and Zaitsev (who HAS to be traded before his no trade kicks in in July, can you imagine having to protect him for the Seattle draft????)

Hainsey won’t be back. Zaitsev will be traded. I think those two things are certainties.

Zaitsev only has a NTC kicking in only players with NMC are mandatory to protect in the expansion draft

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Hainsey won’t be back. Zaitsev will be traded. I think those two things are certainties.

Zaitsev only has a NTC kicking in only players with NMC are mandatory to protect in the expansion draft

I doubt an expansion team would pick up Zaitsev and his contract. He's overpaid by about $1.5M. However he's probably still a No.5 D man on this team and right now with the injuries they need him.

Zaitsev has been better with Muzzin than Gardiner and I suspect that's the plan going forward.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
During that "hot streak" Sandin has been playing close to 30 minutes a night on the top pairing and shutting down the opposition. He's doing it at both ends of the ice. Most importantly the Marlies are winning because of him. His scoring is no fluke.

If you want to make an argument based on Sandin's playing time, pairing position, shutdown role etc then make that argument. If you want to make the argument that Sandin's scoring over the last 8 games is not aberration, the Marlies have 10 games left. How many points does he put up in those? 15?

In fact there has been discussions between Babcock and Dubas about calling him up to help the leafs.

Sure, but so what? There were discussions about bringing up Liljegren a couple months ago. I assume those kinds of discussions go on all the time. I assume that with Gardiner, Dermott, Rosen and Borgman injured, and the due diligence about asking what you would do if another injury occurred, those discussions would be frequent. Those kinds of things go on all the time with every NHL team, and players are brought up when there are injury problems. But again, I am in no way arguing that Sandin could not play in the NHL right now, nor that he won't become a very good D in the NHL. I am arguing against the massive reassessment that has been going on based on a hot streak. Nor is that an unusual thing for me to do. I am a massive fan of Matthews, but argued frequently at the start of this season that despite his production over the first half dozen games, his line sucked and his numbers were unsustainably inflated.

Reactions: IPS

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I doubt an expansion team would pick up Zaitsev and his contract. He's overpaid by about $1.5M. However he's probably still a No.5 D man on this team and right now with the injuries they need him.

Zaitsev has been better with Muzzin than Gardiner and I suspect that's the plan going forward.

we're two years out but the leafs won't have any interesting pieces for an expansion team that are signed right now. moore/petan are RFAs in 2021

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
If you want to make an argument based on Sandin's playing time, pairing position, shutdown role etc then make that argument. If you want to make the argument that Sandin's scoring over the last 8 games is not aberration, the Marlies have 10 games left. How many points does he put up in those? 15?

Sure, but so what? There were discussions about bringing up Liljegren a couple months ago. I assume those kinds of discussions go on all the time. I assume that with Gardiner, Dermott, Rosen and Borgman injured, and the due diligence about asking what you would do if another injury occurred, those discussions would be frequent. Those kinds of things go on all the time with every NHL team, and players are brought up when there are injury problems. But again, I am in no way arguing that Sandin could not play in the NHL right now, nor that he won't become a very good D in the NHL. I am arguing against the massive reassessment that has been going on based on a hot streak. Nor is that an unusual thing for me to do. I am a massive fan of Matthews, but argued frequently at the start of this season that despite his production over the first half dozen games, his line sucked and his numbers were unsustainably inflated.

I haven't heard any reports about the leafs discussing calling up Liljegren at any time. Sandin yes. Liljegren No.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
our primary pk guys?? ugghhhh
you know what's made a difference on our PK? Putting Marner on it. Completely changed the chemistry putting a skilled forward that is a constant threat and always breaking things up.
As far as the d goes, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Polak, who cares who is on PK, I don't think any of them are stellar. And Brown as a forward isn't either.

Here are our Forward Stats for PK... It's probable that Tavares and Goat's TOI is too little to be statistically significant at this point. Marner is indeed stellar, but Brown isn't bad at all. Brown is our second best Forward at preventing goals.. Hyman is actually the worst PK of our forwards currently.

PlayerTOICF% RelGF/60GA/60
Zach Hyman2:19-6.10.47
Connor Brown2:01-5.81.26
Kasperi Kapanen1:422.81.56.1
Mitch Marner1:1516.31.93.9
John Tavares0:12-1011.8
Frederik Gauthier0:10-6.4011.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Macallan18

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
I've been leaning in the direction that this team's best years are still ahead. In a couple of seasons once Sandin and Lily get their feet in the NHL, the Leafs could be really stacked.

I've always thought this. Everyone seems to think this is our best shot cause of the ELCs, I don't subscribe to that.

In an ideal world we would have a more mature effective d-core before we got the crazy talent up front but unfortunately it's happened the opposite way. Yeah on paper we might look less sexy missing a guy or two up front but with the extra couple years development of our franchise forwards and a couple more years for Sandin, Liljegren, Rosen, future additions, etc we will be a much better team in 20/21. This team just needs some more time and some contracts to clean up and we'll really hit our stride with a more mature forward group and more talented blue-line. Just need to have some patience, keep adding cheap talent and don't make any unnecessary large cap mistakes.

Reactions: supermann_98

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Here are our Forward Stats for PK... It's probable that Tavares and Goat's TOI is too little to be statistically significant at this point. Marner is indeed stellar, but Brown isn't bad at all. Brown is our second best Forward at preventing goals.. Hyman is actually the worst PK of our forwards currently.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So Kappy and Marner should be out there probably with Tavares and Matthews relieving them!

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I don't really see it as a stretch at all if he starts the season with the Leafs, unless Kaberle is vastly underrated.
I agree it’s not a stretch but I think Kaberle was vastly underrated. Fans got mad because he wouldn’t shoot the puck.
Hell I’d put Sandin and Lilly out there, massive upgrade from Hainsey and Zaitsev.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I've always thought this. Everyone seems to think this is our best shot cause of the ELCs, I don't subscribe to that.

In an ideal world we would have a more mature effective d-core before we got the crazy talent up front but unfortunately it's happened the opposite way. Yeah on paper we might look less sexy missing a guy or two up front but with the extra couple years development of our franchise forwards and a couple more years for Sandin, Liljegren, Rosen, future additions, etc we will be a much better team in 20/21. This team just needs some more time and some contracts to clean up and we'll really hit our stride with a more mature forward group and more talented blue-line. Just need to have some patience, keep adding cheap talent and don't make any unnecessary large cap mistakes.
I think this is right, only negative next year is Gardiner moving on.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

in the defense of the hyman/brown, they're getting almost exclusively #1PP matchups, while kappy/marner probably get much more #2PP matchups.

Reactions: teddygmr

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Anyone else think Muzzin would be a perfect partner for Liljegren next year?

Somehow move Zaitsev and pick up Stralman?

Rielly - Stralman
Muzzin - Liljegren
Sandin - Dermott

One could dream.
If Lili is ready for the jump, either Muzzin or Dermott seem like smart fits for his strengths yes. Though, optimally again, I’d love to see him get a good long stretch of AHL time not interrupted by injury.
Same thing with Sandin, no great rush. Left side is fine next year even with Jake walking, let everyone play their strong side.
I’m among those who don’t see Zaitsev as the worlds biggest problem. He’s still ok-to-solid at a scarce position league-wide.
Stralman might be an Idea, but chances are he’ll get offered more term and money than is optimal for TO’s situation.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Wow. That's an amazing pickup. Skating was apparently his issue, which is why I ultimately determined he would not be worth an ELC from the Leafs, but I thought another team may have given him one. Fits the Leafs' profile well. Strong two-ways, smart, has creativity in the offensive end, but just not a great skater. Plus he's only a 97', so if he's not ready for the Marlies right away, then he has more than enough time to come up through the ECHL and still make an impact. There is a good chance he does not go to the ECHL next year at all though.

If we can improve his skating, he can be a 4C in the NHL... Or at least a top 6 AHL center.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I would like to see Rosen get a few games in with the Leafs until Dermott can get back in the lineup. I wish Borgman could rebound, I like his physicality and it is something that would be nice on the bottom pairing too. Regardless we will need the depth if we want to go farther than first round.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The best thing about your post was no mention of Hainsey (who should retire after this year) and Zaitsev (who HAS to be traded before his no trade kicks in in July, can you imagine having to protect him for the Seattle draft????)
He wouldn't have to be protected. Only NMC's require protection.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Here are the playoff series for our prospects, and their stats in the series and entire playoffs.
Updated Friday March 22nd

Games today

Game 3: Orebro wins 3-1
Vaxjo leads 2-1
Game 1: Oshawa wins 7-0
Oshawa leads 1-0
Game 1: Guelph wins 4-2
Guelph leads 1-0
Game 1: Lethbridge wins 3-2 in OT
Lethbridge leads 1-0
Game 1: Spokane wins 5-2
Spokane leads 1-0
Game 1: Prince Albert wins 3-0
Prince Albert leads 1-0
Scott 21 save shutout

SHL

1st round: Vaxjo vs Orebro
Vaxjo leads 2-1
Pontus Holmberg
Series:
GP 3 Goals Assists Points:
Playoffs:
GP 3 Goals Assists Points:
Regular season:
GP: 47 Goals: 3 Assists: 7 Points: 10

Liiga

2nd round: TPS(4) vs HPK(5)
HPK leads 1-0
Jesper Lindgren
Series:
GP 1 Goals 1 Assists Points
Playoffs:
GP 1 Goals 1 Assists Points
Regular season:
GP: 45 Goals: 2 Assists: 17 Points: 19

OHL

1st round: Sault Ste. Marie(3) vs Owen Sound Attack(6)
Owen Sound leads 1-0
Mac Hollowell
Series:
GP 1 Goals 1 Assists Points:
Playoffs:
GP 1 Goals 1 Assists Points:
Regular season:
GP: 64 Goals: 24 Assists: 53 Points: 77

1st round: Guelph(4) vs Kitchener(5)
Guelph leads 1-0
Fedor Gordeev
Series:
GP 1 Goals Assists Points:
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP: 63 Goals: 7 Assists: 25 Points: 32

1st round: Oshawa(3) vs Peterborough(6)
Oshawa leads 1-0
SDA
Series:
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP: 62 Goals: 6 Assists: 40 Points: 46

1st round: Saginaw(2) vs Sarnia(7)
Saginaw leads 1-0
Ryan McGregor
Series:
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP: 61 Goals: 25 Assists: 52 Points: 77

WHL

1st round: Prince Albert(1) vs Red Deer(WC2)
Prince Albert leads 1-0
Ian Scott
Series:
GP 1 SV% .1000 GAA 0.00 SO 1
Playoffs:
GP 1 SV% .1000 GAA 0.00 SO 1
Regular season:
GP: 49 SV%: .932 GAA: 1.83 SO: 8

1st round: Spokane(2) vs Portland(3)
Spokane leads 1-0
Filip Kral
Series:
GP 1 Goals Assists Points
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP: 47 Goals: 10 Assists: 26 Points: 36

1st round: Lethbridge(2) vs Calgary(3)
Lethbridge leads 1-0
Riley Stotts
Series:
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP: 62 Goals: 19 Assists: 38 Points: 57

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
For those who don’t look closely at Stickty’s very thorough updates, Scott notched another shutout last night in WHL playoff action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad