Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI - Playoff Drive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
That’s high praise. Dahlin has looked better and better as the season has gone on.
Do you have an idea what tier of young d man Sandin might be in a few years? Maybe a poor man’s Provorov? Tracking better or worse than Dermott?

Ahead of Dermott in his development curve.

The closest comparable I can think of is Thomas Kaberle or maybe a better version of Kimmo Timmonen. In other words a very good player.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Personally I think Sandin could be a top four d man for the leafs right now. He’s far ahead of guys like Marincin, Holl, Ozhiganov etc. Of course that says as much about the leafs lack of depth as anything else.

it doesn't say anything bad about the leafs depth, really.

Sandin is crushing the AHL at age 18. He's far ahead of any team's depth dmen.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dermott is debatable. No Sandin based on his play is not 5th pairing.

How is Dermott debatable? Dermott has had a solid season and a half in the NHL playing a solid role, and cemented himself, and his future with the Leafs. He's a proven NHL player.

At this point, Sandin has 37 games in the AHL, and proven nothing in the NHL. While it appears as though Sandin may have a greater upside than Dermott, and I agree, he is ahead of where Dermott was at the same age, but until he has proven he can play the NHL game, he is still behind Dermott.

It's also possible, that internally, they see Liljegren ahead of Sandin, and there is a strong possibility, Liljegren cracks the NHL roster before Sandin does.

Reactions: Macallan18

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
we'd probably be a better team with this right now, tbh:

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Dermott
Sandin - Liljegren

You'd have to have Hainsey in there over Liljegren, for right now anyway. Yeah Babcock likes him too much, but he's made for a bottom pairing like that, with PK duty.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
we'd probably be a better team with this right now, tbh:

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Dermott
Sandin - Liljegren

The only argument against this, though you could even spin it as a reason to be for it... is it eliminates Zaitsev and Hainsey, who are our primary PK guys.

Now, while they haven't played as much, the GA/60 on the PK of both Rielly and Dermott is better than Zaitsev/Hainsey. Gardiner doesn't get any PK time, and Muzzin has been worse than either of Zaitsev and Hainsey.... so, do you throw Liljegren or Sandin out on the PK, as rookies, with Muzzin?

5v5... you "might" be right... I'm less certain our PK would be improved.

Reactions: teddygmr

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm confident Liljegren won't need to be released at 25 in order to fulfil his potential.

He wasn't released. Burke traded him to Calgary to get Wayne Primeau and the Leafs 2nd round pick back, so he could threaten an offer sheet to Boston for Kessel.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yegor Korshkov and Lokomotiv lost 3-1 yesterday morning. They are now down 3-1 in their series.

Game 5 is tomorrow morning our time.

SKA eliminated Lokomotiv this morning 5-4 in OT

Yegor Koshkov had 1A, meaning he had 3 points in 9 playoff games. Not bad for a young player

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The only argument against this, though you could even spin it as a reason to be for it... is it eliminates Zaitsev and Hainsey, who are our primary PK guys.

Now, while they haven't played as much, the GA/60 on the PK of both Rielly and Dermott is better than Zaitsev/Hainsey. Gardiner doesn't get any PK time, and Muzzin has been worse than either of Zaitsev and Hainsey.... so, do you throw Liljegren or Sandin out on the PK, as rookies, with Muzzin?

5v5... you "might" be right... I'm less certain our PK would be improved.

Zaitsev is definitely overpaid but he's a good 3rd pairing guy at even strength who is useful on the PK. Probably better than Liljegren at this point.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He wasn't released. Burke traded him to Calgary to get Wayne Primeau and the Leafs 2nd round pick back, so he could threaten an offer sheet to Boston for Kessel.

Columbus released him in the summer of 2011 (didn't get the required qualifying offer of ~$2M as a RFA). He remained unsigned the balance of that summer only getting a training camp invite to the New Jersey Devils. He was released from the Devils' tryout, hung around the NYC area for a month before signing a 1 year $900K deal with the Rangers.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm going to need to learn what the official measurement for a notch is before I jump down that guys throat. Maybe it's just a really big notch :sarcasm:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It'll be neat to see how Sandin looks after he trains this summer ... More lower body/core strength and added explosiveness to his skating would be great.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Zaitsev is definitely overpaid but he's a good 3rd pairing guy at even strength who is useful on the PK. Probably better than Liljegren at this point.

Yeah the bashing on him is a bit over the top. The contract sets the expectations though. If he is $2.5M for the next three years nobody peeps but he is being payed like a top 4 guy and this club doesn't play a good enough defensive game to hide his warts. If they weren't on a win now time table I would be inclined to be more patient, but on a club that lacks a genuine top pairing righty he gets asked to do too much. Zaits + Willie for Doughty? What would be the add? LAs issue is the cap and the Leafs can't help with that.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It'll be neat to see how Sandin looks after he trains this summer ... More lower body/core strength and added explosiveness to his skating would be great.

His skating looks really good, especially his edge work

One of the things I worried about with him was his first few strides but watching him on the Marlies it looks much better than I thought it was

Reactions: BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
His skating looks really good, especially his edge work

One of the things I worried about with him was his first few strides but watching him on the Marlies it looks much better than I thought it was

Glad to hear his skating isn't that bad .. No doubt he would need that to keep up in the AHL.

Reactions: Kiwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->