Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI - Playoff Drive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Borgman has a concussion so who knows

Rosen is only day to day I believe. Foot bruise IIRC

My money is on Borgman getting dealt at the draft like Marincin was dealt to us. Pick us up a 4th rounder and restart with a younger prospect in the system. Same with Oz, unless Dubas feels like he has a good shot at beating Liljegren for a full time job in the top 6 next year. Otherwise, he'll probably go into camp and if he loses like Carrick lost (to Oz), then he'll just be dealt for a late round pick then.

I think there will be major changes to the defensive depth next year.

Reactions: Its not your fault

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If Rosen is back soon, I'd like to see him get called up.

He's earned it with his play and he's likely the Gardiner replacement for next year. Let's see what he's got.
I'm with you for obvious reasons because Rosen has earned it but I also don't want to push an 18 year old Sandin into an NHL playoff push, just don't think he's ready

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I would not be surprised if Rosen is not called up in the very near future.

His injury is considered fairly minor and should be healthy by next week at the latest.

Reactions: exporta

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm with you for obvious reasons because Rosen has earned it but I also don't want to push an 18 year old Sandin into an NHL playoff push, just don't think he's ready

Sandin is ready. So is Liljegren. They've been that good with the Marlies. Sandin just played a ~30 minute game the other day and Liljegren has been playing a lot as well.

With that said, it's probably better for them to play top end minutes with the Marlies. The Leafs have depth players for a reason and they need to play.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Sandin is ready. So is Liljegren. They've been that good with the Marlies. Sandin just played a ~30 minute game the other day and Liljegren has been playing a lot as well.

With that said, it's probably better for them to play top end minutes with the Marlies. The Leafs have depth players for a reason and they need to play.

Dont see it; especially with Liljegren. Seen way too many prospects rushed and never carve out an NHL: career; see Puljaevi (spelling) in Edmonton. No rush to bring these two up. Need to be cognisant of the upcoming expansion draft, and these two will be heavily relied on in the near future. Let them develop

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dont see it; especially with Liljegren. Seen way too many prospects rushed and never carve out an NHL: career; see Puljaevi (spelling) in Edmonton. No rush to bring these two up. Need to be cognisant of the upcoming expansion draft, and these two will be heavily relied on in the near future. Let them develop

There's nothing being rushed if they deserve the shot and they do. It's not like they would be be asked to play 20+ minutes or straight out of nowhere. They've been damn good with the Marlies.

Tampa Bay had no problems playing or calling up Sergachev and Cernak over the past year or so and keeping them in the lineup because they were good. Same for countless other players that I'm sure we can look up.

If anything, Liljegren deserves the shot over Sandin based on experience and "not being rushed", no?

People are so scared of playing young players. Not everyone will be Puljujarvi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
There's nothing being rushed if they deserve the shot and they do. It's not like they would be be asked to play 20+ minutes or straight out of nowhere. They've been damn good with the Marlies.

Tampa Bay had no problems playing or calling up Sergachev and Cernak over the past year or so and keeping them in the lineup because they were good. Same for countless other players that I'm sure we can look up.

If anything, Liljegren deserves the shot over Sandin based on experience and "not being rushed", no?

Having Liljegren or Sandin playing more than 9 games this year isn't smart cap management.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sandin isn't ready and neither is Lilly.
If Lilly played the full year, then yes. Since he got hurt, he still needs the last part of the season to make up for the missed time.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
With regards to Sandin/Liljegren, does anyone know what amount of games in the NHL they would have to play to no longer be exempt for the expansion draft?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Having Liljegren or Sandin playing more than 9 games this year isn't smart cap management.

9 games doesn't really matter, the sooner their ELC starts the cheaper their first RFA contract will be. Main worries would be burning an RFA year and expansion draft eligibility.

For example imagine if Marner got 9 games in his D+1 year, he'd already be signed to a long-term deal around 7.5 mil.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The only reason to hold them back would be for expansion draft purposes. Their play definitely warrants a look. I have this sneaking suspicion that Liljegren's game will translate better to a structured NHL than to a less structured league like the AHL.

There is zero risk in bringing one or both up for a game or 2 to show them the pace of the league during the stretch drive.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

puljujarvi clearly had some kind of red flag before he was even drafted, He was thought of as one of 3 at the top of the draft with Matthews and Laine but CBJ went for Dubois. He hasn't been rushed or anything there is something going on with him behind the scenes imo.

I agree if they are ready give them a shot, especially lilly with his extra year experience

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Sergachev would have had to go back to junior where he had nothing more to learn. Cernak played out his entire junior years, then a full healthy season in the AHL and then opened this year by dominating in the AHL Different situations then where Liljegren or Sandin are at this year.

Leafs aren't being afraid to play youngsters. They are simply making youngsters earn it and only promoting them when they've dominated the AHL and are ready to be a key piece at the NHL level. Witness: Nylander, Hyman, Dermott, Brown, Johnsson, Kapanen and most recently Moore.

Both Liljegren and Sandin have missed significant time this year, have yet to dominate the AHL (different than just being a good player) and have a lot left to learn there this season. Liljegren is a bit older but has also missed a ton of hockey in the last 3 years. Both players have a lot left to learn in the AHL this year.

There is also the expansion draft to consider. Rosen is also more NHL ready than either of them.

If either of them are dominate at camp/start of next season they'll be up with the big club very early in the season like Cernak was.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
I wonder if we look at a guy like Adam Fox. Isn't he on his final season before he becomes a free agent? With the depth that Carolina has at RD I wonder if he'd be more inclined to go to free agency and pick a better landing spot for himself.

Isn't Dante Fabbro in a similar situation with the Preds?

Are there any other similarly touted prospects that we might be able to poach?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
With regards to Sandin/Liljegren, does anyone know what amount of games in the NHL they would have to play to no longer be exempt for the expansion draft?

I believe it's 11, but I'm not 100% certain on that. Only about 95%.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I wonder if we look at a guy like Adam Fox. Isn't he on his final season before he becomes a free agent? With the depth that Carolina has at RD I wonder if he'd be more inclined to go to free agency and pick a better landing spot for himself.

Isn't Dante Fabbro in a similar situation with the Preds?

Are there any other similarly touted prospects that we might be able to poach?

Is that why Nash fans keep offering Fabbro for trade?

If we could pick up one of Fox/Fabbro without giving anything up... That would be a huge win. We could really sell them a spot on a contending team too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad