Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI - Playoff Drive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
That's a very inexperienced blueline

I think Liljegren may get promoted early next season with Sandin getting the Dermott treatment of a call up later in the season so that will open up some spots but if Hollowell, Rasanen, Gordeev, Duszak and Lindgren are all lining up for ice time It's going to be tough because we will still need some experience mixed in

Maybe one or two of them end up in the ECHL so they can get some decent ice time?

Pretty much. The Marlies are not going to gift any of Duszak, Lindgren, Hollowell, Rasanen or Gordeev a spot. They will all have to earn it and the organization will make it as tough as possible. After drafting Liljegren they went out and acquired two veteran RHD - LoVerde and Paliotta making many posters certain that the Leafs were intent on sending Liljegren back to Sweden because they felt there was no room. But Liljegren played his way into a spot resulting in the Marlies being able to trade Paliotta early in the season and then Valiev a little later. Liljegren will almost certainly be back with the Marlies next year, and both Subban and LoVerde could be back. Last summer many posters were worried that there was no spot on the Marlies for Sandin, but his play forced their hand and they traded Nielsen. And keep in mind that those are two first round picks, who had been impressive enough at camp to earn pre-season games with the Leafs. There are also several of young ECHL D who will trying their best to grab a spot too. If they train hard all summer and impress the Marlies will make a spot for them. If they need to work on certain skills the Marlies can carry them and put them in the lineup sparingly, but otherwise their are plenty of places to send them including the Growlers.

Reactions: Kiwi

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I'd prefer to have a rookie stapled to a vet, for the young guys development having two rookies on a pair is far from ideal

If we've only got 2 vets that's what were looking at

Yup, Sandin has benefitted enormously this year from being paired with LoVerde.

Reactions: Kiwi

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
The Marlies have the 4th best PP in the league.

They're also missing Rosen

For 4th best in the league tbeir powerplay seems impotent and disjointed and this is going back to last year when Rosen was piloting the power play. I have not been to as many games this year so maybe things have changed and that is now the exception.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Rich247

Sep 28, 2014
There is so much talk about engvall go up next year. I have watched every game this year and I just don't see it. He has 12 assist in 63 games and only 17 goals. Some of which are extremely great but just to few in my opinion. He skates great with that long stride and has that long stick holding the puck away from defenders but he can't seem to make a pass from all the rushes I have watched him make. What does everyone else see that I don't. Don't think he is anywhere near what bracco would provide next year for the big team. Comments?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Lots of talk of Engvall, Korshkov, Marchment which makes me wonder what these people are paying attention too. Already pretty garbage prospects if were honest. Korshkov has a chance someday but he hasn't progressed like a team would like post-draft.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
There is so much talk about engvall go up next year. I have watched every game this year and I just don't see it. He has 12 assist in 63 games and only 17 goals. Some of which are extremely great but just to few in my opinion. He skates great with that long stride and has that long stick holding the puck away from defenders but he can't seem to make a pass from all the rushes I have watched him make. What does everyone else see that I don't. Don't think he is anywhere near what bracco would provide next year for the big team. Comments?

Engvall came over late last season and from seemingly out of nowhere (at least to me) recorded 8 points in 9 games. I watched the 5 home games - he had 4 goals and 6 points - and I wondered where the heck did this guy come from. He hasn't progressed this year, and I think that part of it was that he was playing on a real powerhouse last year and that resulted in him getting more room and then getting the puck when open.

I have only watched one Marlies game this year, so I can't really evaluate where players are at. From what I hear though, as of today, Bracco looks like he should be the NHL and Engvall does not. But at the end of last season if you had asked me I would have said that (outside of Johnsson and Dermott who obviously belonged in the NHL) Moore and Engvall had decent shots of making it over the next year or two. But Bracco to me didn't look strong (admittedly he had been stuck on the 4th line for most of the season, but so had Moore) and he only played 4 games in the playoffs (out of 20). But development isn't linear.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

He has a mix of speed and size that is quite unique. He needs another year, but he's easily someone who could step into any line and even PK as soon as next year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I believe Woll is done after losing in the Hockey East Championship last night.

He flubbed one goal (kind of) but damn his team is atrocious and did nothing to help him win.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Here are the playoff series for our prospects, and their stats in the series and entire playoffs.
Updated Saturday March 23rd

Games today

Game 2: HPK wins 5-3
HPK leads 2-0
Lindgren EN assist

Game 2: Saginaw wins 5-1
Saginaw leads 2-0
Game 2: Sault Ste. Marie wins 6-3
Series tied 1-1
Hollowell 1 assist

Game 1: Lethbridge wins 4-1
Lethbridge leads 2-0
Game 1: Portland wins 5-3
Series tied 1-1
Game 1: Prince Albert wins 6-4
Prince Albert leads 2-0
Scott 4 goals on 23 shots

SHL

1st round: Vaxjo vs Orebro
Vaxjo leads 2-1
Pontus Holmberg
Series:
GP 3 Goals Assists Points:
Playoffs:
GP 3 Goals Assists Points:
Regular season:
GP: 47 Goals: 3 Assists: 7 Points: 10

Liiga

2nd round: TPS(4) vs HPK(5)
HPK leads 2-0
Jesper Lindgren
Series:
GP 2 Goals 1 Assists 1 Points 2
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP: 45 Goals: 2 Assists: 17 Points: 19

OHL

1st round: Sault Ste. Marie(3) vs Owen Sound Attack(6)
Series tied 1-1
Mac Hollowell
Series:
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP: 64 Goals: 24 Assists: 53 Points: 77

1st round: Guelph(4) vs Kitchener(5)
Guelph leads 1-0
Fedor Gordeev
Series:
GP 1 Goals Assists Points:
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP: 63 Goals: 7 Assists: 25 Points: 32

1st round: Oshawa(3) vs Peterborough(6)
Oshawa leads 1-0
SDA
Series:
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP: 62 Goals: 6 Assists: 40 Points: 46

1st round: Saginaw(2) vs Sarnia(7)
Saginaw leads 2-0
Ryan McGregor
Series:
GP 2 Goals Assists Points:
Playoffs:
GP 2 Goals Assists Points:
Regular season:
GP: 61 Goals: 25 Assists: 52 Points: 77

WHL

1st round: Prince Albert(1) vs Red Deer(WC2)
Prince Albert leads 2-0
Ian Scott
Series:
GP 2 SV% .909 GAA 2.00 SO 1
Playoffs:
GP 2 SV% .909 GAA 2.00 SO 1
Regular season:
GP: 49 SV%: .932 GAA: 1.83 SO: 8

1st round: Spokane(2) vs Portland(3)
Series tied 1-1
Filip Kral
Series:
GP 2 Goals Assists Points
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP: 47 Goals: 10 Assists: 26 Points: 36

1st round: Lethbridge(2) vs Calgary(3)
Lethbridge leads 2-0
Riley Stotts
Series:
Playoffs:
Regular season:
GP: 62 Goals: 19 Assists: 38 Points: 57

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Going to Game 2 of Guelph vs. Kitchener today, which will be my 7th viewing of Gordeev in Guelph.

The biggest thing that has surprised me is how good he has been defensively. He has been a good shutdown guy and an efficient and effective puck mover. I haven't really seen much of the raw offensive talent that he is praised for, although he definitely skates well. He has been trusted in a key defensive role with Markus Phillips and has received PK1 minutes.

He is definitely someone worth keeping on atleast an AHL deal in my opinion.

Reactions: teddygmr

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Going to Game 2 of Guelph vs. Kitchener today, which will be my 7th viewing of Gordeev in Guelph.

The biggest thing that has surprised me is how good he has been defensively. He has been a good shutdown guy and an efficient and effective puck mover. I haven't really seen much of the raw offensive talent that he is praised for, although he definitely skates well. He has been trusted in a key defensive role with Markus Phillips and has received PK1 minutes.

Shutdown guy who can move the puck and skate and has that kind of size to break up cycles and clear the front of the net is all we really need from him. Got enough guys who got the offensive side down.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I'd definitely take him on an AHL deal, but most likely he'd just return to the OHL instead.

I'd consider an ELC for him. I do not think it is the biggest risk in the world, and I think you could easily find a taker for him if we needed the contract spot. He looks AHL ready from what I have seen, and given the praise he has received, I think most hockey experts agree. Even if he never makes it out of the AHL, we'll need some bodies going forward. As it stands right now, it looks like the Marlies are going to need to add a couple of vets on the LD to balance out the heavy contingent of young RD.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Joseph Woll and Yegor Koshkov should be joining the Marlies this week.

Woll likely wong play at all but maybe they’ll give him a start or two down the stretch.

horner

May 22, 2007
He has a mix of speed and size that is quite unique. He needs another year, but he's easily someone who could step into any line and even PK as soon as next year.

He needs to start being more physical.
He's a big boy .
He has to start using his size to his advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad