Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - 2023-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

This would have been the correct response to that Dillingham hit.

It's not the same, outside of Niemela, no one really has a relationship with Hirvonen.

MacArthur had the concussion issue and was apart of that team and a plug in training camp did that...which was why that brought on the response because he was trying to come back from it.

Hirvonen the day prior honestly had some plays in scrimmage that had me thinking he would be planted on his ass if it wasn't scrimmage. Someone in scrimmage had a clear opening and got him.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

horner

May 22, 2007
Its a clean hit and you need to be aware always.

Its tough, but players get hurt when they are playing assuming there won’t be any contact. I guarantee Hirvonen won’t ever do that again.

If it was a dirty hit, I’d feel different for sure. These guys aren’t really even teammates.
Keep tour head up

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Why? Minten was a questionable pick and tverberg was a late round pick

I had low expectations at the beginning of last year, but I watched both over the last year and thought they looked better than expected.

Tverberg had a very good year and is better than his draft status indicates.
I thought he would come into camp with a chip on his shoulder to show he belongs.

Minten has holes in his game but it becomes even more apparent when he is up against AHL talent in these scrimmages.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I had low expectations at the beginning of last year, but I watched both over the last year and thought they looked better than expected.

Tverberg had a very good year and is better than his draft status indicates.
I thought he would come into camp with a chip on his shoulder to show he belongs.

Minten has holes in his game but it becomes even more apparent when he is up against AHL talent in these scrimmages.
I tend to not put much stock in these development camps nor do I put much stock into small sample sizes. Tverberg may carve himself an NHL career but he's a long shot and I don't have much expectations for him or minten

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's not the same, outside of Niemela, no one really has a relationship with Hirvonen.

MacArthur had the concussion issue and was apart of that team and a plug in training camp did that...which was why that brought on the response because he was trying to come back from it.

Hirvonen the day prior honestly had some plays in scrimmage that had me thinking he would be planted on his ass if it wasn't scrimmage. Someone in scrimmage had a clear opening and got him.

It was clean and Hirvonen didn't need players to help him off the ice.
He was wobbly, but apparently okay after.
He'll miss a few days with protocol.

It was Hirvonen's momentum, no one drove him into the boards from behind.

I'd want to know if Dillingham has any potential and that he wasn't out there looking for a big hit in an own team scrimmage to just get noticed.

Hirvonen's fault though.

Reactions: 3headeddragon

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Dillingham is undrafted and is trying to impress that Leafs. Those types of players are the ones that make those hits all the time during these mini camps. It was a clean hit and I don’t blame Dillingham. He sees the direction the leafs are trying to go and tried to impress them as he should.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Honestly, I see Dillingham getting a contract from the Leafs.

From what I’m reading he is a Mississauga kid, who had a good career in Sarnia.

Solid, physical RHD who consistently hits. I think we have a spot of a guy like this in our pool.

Hoping Roni is alright. Harsh lesson to learn and no doubt he wasn’t expecting to be hot like that in a team scrimmage….

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

online-scaled.jpg

The Maple Leafs’ head of player development, Hayley Wickenheiser — flanked by head coach Sheldon Keefe (left) and Shane Doan, adviser to the GM — watches the team’s prospects go through drills on the ice at the Ford Performance Centre in Etobicoke. (Jack Boland/Toronto Sun)

Fraser Minten (38th overall) last year, Matthew Knies (57th in 2021) overall and Nick Robertson (53rd in 2019) have all impressed, Knies and Robertson in the Leafs’ lineup for a spell.

Interesting they're putting Minten in with Knies and Robertson for impressing.

This is likely a huge year for him, if his team doesn't parachute in top end players for their run to the Memorial Cup, he should get key minutes and opportunities.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Honestly, I see Dillingham getting a contract from the Leafs.

From what I’m reading he is a Mississauga kid, who had a good career in Sarnia.

Solid, physical RHD who consistently hits. I think we have a spot of a guy like this in our pool.

Hoping Roni is alright. Harsh lesson to learn and no doubt he wasn’t expecting to be hot like that in a team scrimmage….
He might already have an AHL deal that's just not announced yet - there are a couple of those at Dev Camp, and he's one of the few in a position to do so based on age.

Weiss is on of them, and I think Dillingham/Cassaro might both be getting AHL deals to start in Newfoundland. De St. Phalle is old enough but is likely playing a senior NCAA season and Walton was another but he transferred to Northeastern.

Reactions: LeafSteel

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It was clean and Hirvonen didn't need players to help him off the ice.
He was wobbly, but apparently okay after.
He'll miss a few days with protocol.

It was Hirvonen's momentum, no one drove him into the boards from behind.

I'd want to know if Dillingham has any potential and that he wasn't out there looking for a big hit in an own team scrimmage to just get noticed.

Hirvonen's fault though.
You aren't expecting to get hit like that in this setting and Hayley said it too. Thats on Dillingham for an overly aggressive play. If it's a real game then it's on Hirvonen more.

Reactions: kb

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
You aren't expecting to get hit like that in this setting and Hayley said it too. Thats on Dillingham for an overly aggressive play. If it's a real game then it's on Hirvonen more.
I disagree. You need to expect a hit at all times. Doing the opposite is a bad mindset to have.

This isn’t a team scrimmage. There are guys fighting for their pro contracts and trying to impress.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
It goes both ways. Roni needs to have his head up at all times, and will have learned that the hard way. On the other side, you’d like to see a guy let up, there, in an intra-squad development camp scrimmage. You could hit him without filling him in completely, there, but it happens at speed, and Roni’s head bounced off the ice, which doesn’t always happen on those.

I’m sure Dillingham spoke with him after, and the coaches used it as a teaching moment for Roni, and everybody else.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Is there a video of the scrimmage as a whole or even something more than brief highlights?
Thanks!

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Isn’t him wearing the same jersey as you enough of a relationship? It’s the same situation, you don’t blow someone up like that in a training camp scrimmage.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Isn’t him wearing the same jersey as you enough of a relationship? It’s the same situation, you don’t blow someone up like that in a training camp scrimmage.

A select few guys have a contract already but most of these guys are independent contractors / mercenaries trying to get the contract.

I know why the guy did it, that's his game, he's not gonna make the NHL with his hands / skill, he's gonna do it blocking shots / hitting guys.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think it's a good thing to have that edge in scrimmage and in the organization, but obviously you don't want guys getting hurt. Hockey at its best has always been a blend of high skill executed in a highly competitive environment with the threat of danger, and you want your skill guys to be tip top aware and prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad