Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - 2023-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Isn’t him wearing the same jersey as you enough of a relationship? It’s the same situation, you don’t blow someone up like that in a training camp scrimmage.

If Roni's getting blown up in a scrimmage by a camp invitee, it's probably a god reminder for him to be sharper when executing, so as not to get blown up in training camp, preseason, the AHL and the NHL when he makes it.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Roni's getting blown up in a scrimmage by a camp invitee, it's probably a god reminder for him to be sharper when executing, so as not to get blown up in training camp, preseason, the AHL and the NHL when he makes it.

To be fair though if it was a random NHL game in November it would be unlikely to have a no-name ECHLer hunting for hits to win himself a contract. Training camp and the AHL are more dangerous than the NHL imo because of the financial incentive to get noticed. Reaves or Wilson aren’t looking for the biggest flashiest hit they can land because they already have established positions and contracts that set them up for life.

It’s always strange when people say a guy like Robertson needs to learn to survive the game at the AHL level when there’s 10x the headhunters looking for a 1 year league min payday than there is in the NHL. If random ECHLer #128976 lands a hit on your star in preseason that could result in a 10x increase in salary on the year, if Reaves does it he loses money on his suspension.

Reactions: kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To be fair though if it was a random NHL game in November it would be unlikely to have a no-name ECHLer hunting for hits to win himself a contract. Training camp and the AHL are more dangerous than the NHL imo because of the financial incentive to get noticed. Reaves or Wilson aren’t looking for the biggest flashiest hit they can land because they already have established positions and contracts that set them up for life.

It’s always strange when people say a guy like Robertson needs to learn to survive the game at the AHL level when there’s 10x the headhunters looking for a 1 year league min payday than there is in the NHL.

I think it's just a reminder to always be sharper, more focused, aware, and heads up whatever it is you're doing out there in the game of hockey. Don't become someone else's stepping stone to a meal ticket. Could be an ECHLer blowing you up in a scrimmage. But it could also be a Sam Bennett head hunting you for no good reason.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think it's just a reminder to always be sharper, more focused, aware, and heads up whatever it is you're doing out there in the game of hockey. Don't become someone else's stepping stone to a meal ticket. Could be an ECHLer blowing you up in a scrimmage. But it could also be a Sam Bennett head hunting you for no good reason.

Sam’s goal is to win, if headhunting you helps more than it hurts he’ll do it. If Sam was an AHLer getting an audition his top goal would be to make a highlight reel so he doesn’t have to work retail next year. Desperation is more dangerous and unpredictable than just being an asshole

It’s a good lesson but I wouldn’t want my forward prospects playing like they’re expecting every opponent on the ice to be licking their chops at a cheap shot even if it hurts their chances of winning the game, there’s an amount of reasonable calculated risk you need guys this size to take if they’re going to be effective.

Reactions: kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sam’s goal is to win, if headhunting you helps more than it hurts he’ll do it. If Sam was an AHLer getting an audition his top goal would be to make a highlight reel so he doesn’t have to work retail next year. Desperation is more dangerous and unpredictable than just being an asshole

It’s a good lesson but I wouldn’t want my forward prospects playing like they’re expecting every opponent on the ice to be licking their chops at a cheap shot even if it hurts their chances of winning the game, there’s an amount of reasonable calculated risk you need guys this size to take if they’re going to be effective.

Yeah I think it just comes down to being aware and smart out on the ice, which makes you a better player in any given situation and protected from any wild card situation. It's a contact sport. Probably not the most productive to be scrimmaging with your head down a la Eric Lindros, because that kind of preparation doesn't set you up well for real game situations. And now Dillingham has made a name for himself.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Its a clean hit and you need to be aware always.

Its tough, but players get hurt when they are playing assuming there won’t be any contact. I guarantee Hirvonen won’t ever do that again.

If it was a dirty hit, I’d feel different for sure. These guys aren’t really even teammates.
Gotta say, yes and no. That does not elevate Dillingham's status with the Leafs.

I hit everything that moved when practicing and scrimmaging. But I only hit to hurt when playing other teams. I would let up and then tell them they will be trolley tracked and end up having a yard sale if they were to do that in game. I'd hit them to separate them from the puck,

But....yes, definitely keep your head up. Period. Dillingham needs to know he didn't need to blow him up and potentially sidetrack someone's career and life....There are many ways to make an impression without possibly ruining someone's career..

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think it's a good thing to have that edge in scrimmage and in the organization, but obviously you don't want guys getting hurt. Hockey at its best has always been a blend of high skill executed in a highly competitive environment with the threat of danger, and you want your skill guys to be tip top aware and prepared.
This isn't for the Stanley Cup

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Honestly, I see Dillingham getting a contract from the Leafs.

From what I’m reading he is a Mississauga kid, who had a good career in Sarnia.

Solid, physical RHD who consistently hits. I think we have a spot of a guy like this in our pool.

He scored at a 23 point/82 pace in the OHL the last two seasons, his age 19 and 20. Who's the last NHL-quality prospect with that kind of stat line? He'd be lucky to get an AHL contract.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He scored at a 23 point/82 pace in the OHL the last two seasons, his age 19 and 20. Who's the last NHL-quality prospect with that kind of stat line? He'd be lucky to get an AHL contract.
You seem to misunderstand what I said.

I did not say for him to be signed to play for the Leafs. That would be ridiculous.

Any contract offer would be strictly to bring him into the organization, mostly likely for an opportunity to play for the Growlers.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Gotta say, yes and no. That does not elevate Dillingham's status with the Leafs.

I hit everything that moved when practicing and scrimmaging. But I only hit to hurt when playing other teams. I would let up and then tell them they will be trolley tracked and end up having a yard sale if they were to do that in game. I'd hit them to separate them from the puck,

But....yes, definitely keep your head up. Period. Dillingham needs to know he didn't need to blow him up and potentially sidetrack someone's career and life....There are many ways to make an impression without possibly ruining someone's career..
Maybe it's just me (and the replay I saw seems to begin just an instant before the contact happened)... but it looked more like a collision then a deliberate attempt to hurt a teammate. Dillingham was facing backwards as Hirvonen went down... I think that all the grief directed at the UDFA defenseman is unfair.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Maybe it's just me (and the replay I saw seems to begin just an instant before the contact happened)... but it looked more like a collision then a deliberate attempt to hurt a teammate. Dillingham was facing backwards as Hirvonen went down... I think that all the grief directed at the UDFA defenseman is unfair.
I agree that we can't really tell. I really would like to see the clip from about 2 seconds earlier.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
You seem to misunderstand what I said.

I did not say for him to be signed to play for the Leafs. That would be ridiculous.

Any contract offer would be strictly to bring him into the organization, mostly likely for an opportunity to play for the Growlers.

You said "I see Dillingham getting a contract from the Leafs." That would be a complete waste of a contract slot no matter where he plays but especially so for an ECHL plug.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
You said "I see Dillingham getting a contract from the Leafs." That would be a complete waste of a contract slot no matter where he plays but especially so for an ECHL plug.
I’ve clarified my comment and you stated your opinion.

Not much more to say.

Have a great day.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Roni's gotta keep his head up. You're a prospect playing for a future with million dollar contracts on the line and are competing against men who want it just as badly as you do, talented or otherwise. 2nd round draft picks don't get special treatment or the red shirts. There's 50 defensemen in the NHL who would have loved to make that hit.

It's not great seeing guys get hurt, but I'd much rather development camp have a real competitive edge to it than be a showcase for people to croon over their favourite prospect toe-dragging and scoring. They're there to become NHL players, not climb prospect ranking charts.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

You do realize that he could get a Marlies or even Growlers contract, and that doesn’t take a contract slot!!!! That seems to be what you are missing in this conversation.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
You do realize that he could get a Marlies or even Growlers contract, and that doesn’t take a contract slot!!!! That seems to be what you are missing in this conversation.

I'm not missing anything, if the OP meant a Marlies contract they should have said so in the first place. And more to the point, there's nothing to suggest that he earned a Marlies contract either, did anyone see or say anything of note about Dillingham in this camp besides the hit?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not missing anything, if the OP meant a Marlies contract they should have said so in the first place. And more to the point, there's nothing to suggest that he earned a Marlies contract either, did anyone see or say anything of note about Dillingham in this camp besides the hit?

1689022176728.png

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Here's the full sequence

Thanks for posting that. The extra lead-up does show that the hit was intentional... but definitely not dirty. Even though Dillingham is a bit taller than Hirvonen... I didn't see any direct contact with the head. Maybe the concussion happened when Roni hit the ice. Anyway... let's be honest... that same hit in a Rookie Tournament game would have everyone on here begging the Leafs (via a Marlies AHL contract) to sign Dillingham.

Reactions: Roadhog and kb

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Thanks for posting that. The extra lead-up does show that the hit was intentional... but definitely not dirty. Even though Dillingham is a bit taller than Hirvonen... I didn't see any direct contact with the head. Maybe the concussion happened when Roni hit the ice. Anyway... let's be honest... that same hit in a Rookie Tournament game would have everyone on here begging the Leafs (via a Marlies AHL contract) to sign Dillingham.
I think this is accurate. Hirvonen‘s possible mistake was thinking the game was a “friendly” when there are guys out there with one shot to maybe make an impression.

I wonder if someone in blue should have stuck up for him. Definitely a weird dynamic - a little bit friendly, a little bit not.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Everybody else understood the conversation… oh well.

We’ll see if he’s earned a contract at some level soon enough.

Reactions: LeafSteel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad