Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - 2023-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Another thing that's interesting about the longer version of the clip is that it actually starts off with #97 in white finishing a good check against #35 in blue.

So was this entire game very chippy with players hitting? Did the coaching staff potentially tell the players they'd like to see a nice intensity to the game?

That context is very important.

Reactions: 3headeddragon

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I may be part of the minority, but this is a dog eat dog business. Dillingham didn't have an affiliation let alone a contract to his name when he got this invite. I hate the outcome, but I have no problem with him making that hit TBH. We will survive without Roni for a couple months.

I understand why Roni might not be expecting that play, but lets not kid ourselves, the coaching staff would have told every one of those kids to treat that game like it was a real game.

to me this has Bieksa knocking out Fedor Fedorov vibes. I'd give the kid a minor league deal TBH. We could use a kid in our system who isn't afraid to put it all out there no matter the situation.

Unfortunate result, but that's Hockey. Hoping for a speedy recovery for Roni, but I am not going to crucify a kid for trying to make a name for himself.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I may be part of the minority, but this is a dog eat dog business. Dillingham didn't have an affiliation let alone a contract to his name when he got this invite. I hate the outcome, but I have no problem with him making that hit TBH. We will survive without Roni for a couple months.

I understand why Roni might not be expecting that play, but lets not kid ourselves, the coaching staff would have told every one of those kids to treat that game like it was a real game.

to me this has Bieksa knocking out Fedor Fedorov vibes. I'd give the kid a minor league deal TBH. We could use a kid in our system who isn't afraid to put it all out there no matter the situation.

Unfortunate result, but that's Hockey. Hoping for a speedy recovery for Roni, but I am not going to crucify a kid for trying to make a name for himself.
Agreed, if you're going to point fingers at someone the only place that makes sense to me is the organization.

Maybe it's not the best idea to have a full contact scrimmage in the middle of summer with a bunch of guys from various levels (European mens leagues and junior leagues, Major Junior, NCAA, USHL) who haven't played a game in months?

I don't necessarily subscribe to that thought process, but I can see that argument because if there's hitting, you better be prepared for it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Agree with everything minus the contract. Not sure I want to incentivize career ECHLers to take runs, if he deserves it for his play, this shouldn't affect that decision since it was a hockey play.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Agreed, if you're going to point fingers at someone the only place that makes sense to me is the organization
Bingo

Or if you don't want Open ice hits, maybe just don't invite a kid who has just completed his final year of junior eligibility, plays a physical brand of hockey, and who is hungry for a contract of any kind.

make no mistake, Dillingham got noticed this past weekend with that hit, and good for him. It is exactly what will earn him a pro contract with us, or any other ECHL team that witnessed that exact same hit.

If you don't want your B-Level prospects getting blown up by a desperate and physical kid looking to continue his dream, maybe stick to inviting the Avery Hayes' and Pano Fimis' of the world

just a thought

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Agree with everything minus the contract. Not sure I want to incentivize career ECHLers to take runs, if he deserves it for his play, this shouldn't affect that decision since it was a hockey play.
Of course. His play around that hit has to be considered before giving a contract. But there are large amounts of this board and twittersphere that want to hang this kid up by his ball sack and tell him how ridiculous he was for making that play given the circumstance. I just don't agree with it.

I look at that play and see a kid who is desperate to continue his dream of being a pro hockey player. He doesn't give a shit who was carrying that puck across the blue line. Let's not forget that it was an absolutely textbook open ice hit. This was a clean hit in every angle and interpretation of the rulebook. As far as he is concerned, he was invited to camp to potentially earn an AHL/ECHL deal. If that was never a possibility, well then that's on the organization for inviting the kid in the first place. Not him.

His goal is to have his name put out there. Not a single person knew a lick about the kid before Saturday, we all do now. He did his job IMO. If his play aside from that hit showed no promise then of course let someone else give him a minor league deal, but if there is a raw skillset I wouldn't mind giving him a crack at the Growlers.

Last edited:

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Yup... if you knew that Dillingham was a career ECHLer, then you wouldn't sign him. However... since he hasn't played a single professional game yet... you absolutely don't know that. I don't get people that want the team to be tougher... but don't like adding tough players.

Reactions: LeafSteel

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yup... if you knew that Dillingham was a career ECHLer, then you wouldn't sign him. However... since he hasn't played a single professional game yet... you absolutely don't know that. I don't get people that want the team to be tougher... but don't like adding tough players.

I just said add him if he is good... it's pretty simple. He is a 21 year old who just put up 14 pts in 45 games in the OHL.

Not a hard concept to follow... he looks like he wouldn't even fit in in the AHL.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
One thing for sure, Dillingham is getting more PR and talk out of this, then most of the rest of his career.

Some good about him.

Sarnia Sting Captain Nolan Dillingham made history this week becoming the franchise’s first player to earn the Mickey Renaud Captain’s Trophy.

The award, named in honour of the Windsor Spitfires captain who died in February 2008, is given to one OHL captain every year, who “best exemplifies leadership on and off the ice, with a passion and dedication to the game of hockey and his community.”

“Receiving the Mickey Renaud Captain’s Trophy is an amazing honour,” said Dillingham, who recently completed his fifth season with the Sting.

“This season may have fallen short of the championship we all wanted, but the culture, environment and expectations we set are a big source of pride and hopefully something that will carry-on in Sarnia for years to come.”

The overage defenceman was also the unanimous winner of the Sting’s “Player’s Choice” Award for the past season, noted by his teammates as the player who best exemplifies the Sting’s organizational core values.

He served prominently in the Sting’s School Breakfast program, serving students at local elementary schools and was also a leader of the Sting’s “Sting Serve You” Dinner program in cooperation with local partner Boston Pizza.

A captain throughout his minor hockey career with the Mississauga Rebels AAA program, Dillingham was named Sting captain in January 2022.

“The 6-foot-1, 200Ib blueliner has been the leading force of a cultural shift within the Sting organization as he exhibits excellence, inclusion and professionalism daily,” a news release noted. “Dillingham’s presence, work ethic and genuine care for every person he comes across are some of his leading qualities.

On another note...

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
One thing for sure, Dillingham is getting more PR and talk out of this, then most of the rest of his career.

Some good about him.

Sarnia Sting Captain Nolan Dillingham made history this week becoming the franchise’s first player to earn the Mickey Renaud Captain’s Trophy.

The award, named in honour of the Windsor Spitfires captain who died in February 2008, is given to one OHL captain every year, who “best exemplifies leadership on and off the ice, with a passion and dedication to the game of hockey and his community.”

“Receiving the Mickey Renaud Captain’s Trophy is an amazing honour,” said Dillingham, who recently completed his fifth season with the Sting.

“This season may have fallen short of the championship we all wanted, but the culture, environment and expectations we set are a big source of pride and hopefully something that will carry-on in Sarnia for years to come.”

The overage defenceman was also the unanimous winner of the Sting’s “Player’s Choice” Award for the past season, noted by his teammates as the player who best exemplifies the Sting’s organizational core values.

He served prominently in the Sting’s School Breakfast program, serving students at local elementary schools and was also a leader of the Sting’s “Sting Serve You” Dinner program in cooperation with local partner Boston Pizza.

A captain throughout his minor hockey career with the Mississauga Rebels AAA program, Dillingham was named Sting captain in January 2022.

“The 6-foot-1, 200Ib blueliner has been the leading force of a cultural shift within the Sting organization as he exhibits excellence, inclusion and professionalism daily,” a news release noted. “Dillingham’s presence, work ethic and genuine care for every person he comes across are some of his leading qualities.

On another note...

Kind of feels like one of those players that’ll make it from merit and what he does aside from just skill alone.

Disclaimer: I have not viewed him or heard of him until that hit :laugh:

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This was posted in the prospects sub-forum.

This is what Nolan Dillingham does, and the Leafs know that.

This is like the scorpion and the frog. You can't invite a guy to your camp who's known for hits like this in the OHL and then get angry when he hits one of your prospects. What did you expect?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This is like the scorpion and the frog. You can't invite a guy to your camp who's known for hits like this in the OHL and then get angry when he hits one of your prospects. What did you expect?
Yup.

Nolan is no where near the person to blame on this. I actually feel bad for the kid if I am being honest. The amount of bozo's in the media that tweeted about him being reckless and tone deaf is actually ridiculous. If there is any blame to be had it is on our organization for inviting the kid.

there are only 2 reasons why they would have invited him in the first place:

1. They think there may be some untapped potential. His leadership is very clearly a plus, and his physical brand of play is something we lack in our system. Best case scenario is he looks good enough to earn a minor league deal with our affiliates.

2. They needed a body to fill out the camp roster. Someone they could plop on the right side for the blue/white scrimmage.

If it's scenario 1, great. I can live with the consequences of that decision good or bad. If it is option 2, then it was pure idiocy on whoever selected this camp roster.

I didn't watch the scrimmage, nor did i watch camp in any capacity. So I really have no clue what his game is like. But if there is some raw potential there, there is no reason we shouldn't consider him as an option for the Growlers IMO. Again, only if the skillset can support his level of compete and physicality.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Yup.

Nolan is no where near the person to blame on this. I actually feel bad for the kid if I am being honest. The amount of bozo's in the media that tweeted about him being reckless and tone deaf is actually ridiculous. If there is any blame to be had it is on our organization for inviting the kid.

there are only 2 reasons why they would have invited him in the first place:

1. They think there may be some untapped potential. His leadership is very clearly a plus, and his physical brand of play is something we lack in our system. Best case scenario is he looks good enough to earn a minor league deal with our affiliates.

2. They needed a body to fill out the camp roster. Someone they could plop on the right side for the blue/white scrimmage.

If it's scenario 1, great. I can live with the consequences of that decision good or bad. If it is option 2, then it was pure idiocy on whoever selected this camp roster.

I didn't watch the scrimmage, nor did i watch camp in any capacity. So I really have no clue what his game is like. But if there is some raw potential there, there is no reason we shouldn't consider him as an option for the Growlers IMO. Again, only if the skillset can support his level of compete and physicality.
It is ironic that a bunch of grown men and women will attack teenagers on social media about stuff like this calling them a piece of shit and sending people their way to attack them online and their families.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It is ironic that a bunch of grown men and women will attack teenagers on social media about stuff like this calling them a piece of shit and sending people their way to attack them online and their families.

Even if you blame the kid 100%, he’s still just a kid and they’ll make mistakes. However as posted above, this is how the kid plays.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Even if you blame the kid 100%, he’s still just a kid and they’ll make mistakes. However as posted above, this is how the kid plays.
Mhm. Either tell them before scrimmages no open ice hits or drill it into the players brains not to skate across the middle with your head down ever. I know when I became old enough and moved up into the division where hitting was finally allowed we had to take an on ice hitting course before we could even play. It was basic stuff like how to skate with the puck with your head up, how to brace yourself up against the boards to absorb contact and avoid injury and what to do and what not to do when trying to avoid a hit ( it's why I really hate when players turn last second and get drilled from behind into the boards). I feel like they don't do this anymore and it seems more needed then ever.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Mhm. Either tell them before scrimmages no open ice hits or drill it into the players brains not to skate across the middle with your head down ever. I know when I became old enough and moved up into the division where hitting was finally allowed we had to take an on ice hitting course before we could even play. It was basic stuff like how to skate with the puck with your head up, how to brace yourself up against the boards to absorb contact and avoid injury and what to do and what not to do when trying to avoid a hit ( it's why I really hate when players turn last second and get drilled from behind into the boards). I feel like they don't do this anymore and it seems more needed then ever.
Ya I mean, just to kind of put a bow on it from my end of it, here's a clip of Rod the bod talking to the hurricane prospects at their camp. He says to the group several times that the only thing he asks of them is to be competitive. Compete their asses off.

If anyone thinks the message would have been any different in our camp, they would be mistaken. Nolan was competing on that play. He did what he does best, and he planted a textbook hit on a player who was trying to take the middle of the ice.

You then get grown men and women who've largely never played the game, let alone at a high level comment how reckless it was, and how a play like that is not how you earn a contract. Umm... ya it is. Nolan Dillingham went from a largely unknown name in the hockey world to someone we have several pages of this thread on. He competed, he got noticed, he did his job. If the media or anyone thinks that hit reflects negatively on his profile, they are mistaken. That is a play that people take note of. We should be too.

Again, I really doubt Nolan has an NHL trajectory. But you can never have too many competitive, high character players in your organization. I am sure he earned himself an ECHL contract with that hit TBH. Even if it wasn't with the Growlers.

lastly, he knocked out Roni Hirvonen, not Conner Bedard for crying out loud. I love Roni just as much as the next person, but he wasn't even the most intriguing prospect at our camp, let alone in the NHL world. If that hit came from Topi Neimela on some undrafted camp invite we'd be creaming our pants over it, and the narrative around that would would be largely positive. No one would be shitting on him or calling him reckless. Don't see why some feel it appropriate to treat Nolan any differently.

But then again, that's just my opinion. If people disagree, I can respect that.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
What do we expect Minten to develop into?

A Dave Bolland type player? I seem to notice him every time I watch a prospects game

Reactions: TMLAM34

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
One thing I remember the hearing about is the Leafs using video to ask where the puck was gonna go and putting a premium on hockey IQ...but I think in the mean time they failed to ask, is the player fast enough to get to that puck? Are the big enough to win the puck battle? Are they willing to battle?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
One thing I remember the hearing about is the Leafs using video to ask where the puck was gonna go and putting a premium on hockey IQ...but I think in the mean time they failed to ask, is the player fast enough to get to that puck? Are the big enough to win the puck battle? Are they willing to battle?
It's an interesting question to ask simply because following from the birds eye view on video and reacting in real time on the ice are so different. Although I suppose if you can't understand it on video it probably doesn't bode well for your ability to process and react at ice level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille