Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - 2023-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wonder if the Leafs may try to kee Amirov and covertly bring the family over in light of the Russia situation?

Keeping him near home seems like a great idea in theory but world is messed up

Reactions: Hotel Mario

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I wonder if the Leafs may try to kee Amirov and covertly bring the family over in light of the Russia situation?

Keeping him near home seems like a great idea in theory but world is messed up
I believe they spoke on this in one of the earlier media availabilites of training camp. The plan is to have him in Toronto after his next treatment cycle from what I recall. Don't quote me on that.

Reactions: kb

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I believe they spoke on this in one of the earlier media availabilites of training camp. The plan is to have him in Toronto after his next treatment cycle from what I recall. Don't quote me on that.

The verbiage was tough on that. I remember hearing he would train etc but wasn't sure if it meant AHL.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That is correct

Reactions: kb

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The verbiage was tough on that. I remember hearing he would train etc but wasn't sure if it meant AHL.
Yeah I'm not sure of exactly what the plan would be. I assume it would depend on his health/condition. Just that the plan is for him to be physically here.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Interview with Kyle Dubas, September 22, 2022

Rodion Amirov — we had a followup with him and the doctors that are managing it from Moscow and Germany. It has become a more difficult situation to manage in person as things have developed in Europe. Where he is at is that he is through his final round of chemotherapy. What we are working on now is a consultation appointment to see if he is able to travel here and be around the team to train, participate in on-ice training, and hopefully, return to play. That is where we are at.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Interview with Kyle Dubas, September 22, 2022

Rodion Amirov — we had a followup with him and the doctors that are managing it from Moscow and Germany. It has become a more difficult situation to manage in person as things have developed in Europe. Where he is at is that he is through his final round of chemotherapy. What we are working on now is a consultation appointment to see if he is able to travel here and be around the team to train, participate in on-ice training, and hopefully, return to play. That is where we are at.

The return to play meaning returning to the rink or do training, be around the team and return to Russia? Am I overthinking it?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Trying to remember: did we draft Moldenhauer with the Canucks 3rd round pick that we got when we traded Dermott to them?

Thanks in advance.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
That would be good. Bring the family over.

I'd probably try to hit some Marlies games at that point.
I imagine that might be challenging to get his family over with no extended stay visa's. That said, I'm sure MLSE could find a way to "employ" his parents in some capacity. Not entirely unheard of for hockey teams to do this type of thing. It's the old work around to pay junior kids. They get "employed" by the team to run youth programs, in exchange for sums of money that don't even remotely come close to what work they allegedly do on paper. For the junior player it is beneficial as they get paid to play in a league where there is not supposed to be any wages, and in Rodion's case it would be beneficial to have his parents "employed" to just get a working visa into Canada. Not sure it would be that simple, but if anyone has the pull to make it happen it would be MLSE.

I think it's important to have his family with him in Canada for so many reasons beyond just the war. He needs the mental support. It also shows the hockey world the lengths the Leafs go to make sure our players are taken care of. Whether you're a prospect or active roster player Players take notice of that. It's a large reason why Matt Murray blocked a trade to go to Buffalo, why ZAR signed a "PTO" to attend a camp where he was almost guaranteed a firm deal elsewhere, why Petrozelli and McKay sign with us despite being in a considerable logjam for ice time...etc. Dubas has done a fantastic job at creating that culture IMO. The Leafs went from a place no one wanted to be, to a place where a lot of people want to be.

Treat people well, and reap the rewards. Hopefully they are able to make that happen for Rodion

Reactions: WTFMAN99

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Dennis Hildeby isn't even the starter for his SHL team, he has played 2 games and the other goalie Matt Tomkins has started 6 games, not ideal.

Peksa got lit up today too, allowed 4 goals and got pulled halfway through the game.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Trying to remember: did we draft Moldenhauer with the Canucks 3rd round pick that we got when we traded Dermott to them?

Thanks in advance.
I believe they traded down from the Canucks pick, and used that later third rounderon Moldenhauer.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Dennis Hildeby isn't even the starter for his SHL team, he has played 2 games and the other goalie Matt Tomkins has started 6 games, not ideal.

Peksa got lit up today too, allowed 4 goals and got pulled halfway through the game.
Those limited games in the SHL will do more for his development then playing in the Swedish junior system or playing in the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino