Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Not related to the Leafs but thought you guys might find this goalie drill cool. This is Dustin Wolf drafted by the Flames and signed today to his ELC. I still wish we drafted him when he was available in the 7th.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It will take a couple years, but if the Marlies correct a couple issues with him, there will be some sad teams out there.

Skating Stickty, skating

I have a ton of respect for Underhill but it's going to take witchcraft to get his skating to an NHL calibre, I really like other parts of his game but it's hard to see him improving that much from where he is now

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Skating Stickty, skating

I have a ton of respect for Underhill but it's going to take witchcraft to get his skating to an NHL calibre, I really like other parts of his game but it's hard to see him improving that much from where he is now

Screw skating. He needs to work on his defensive IQ if he wants a chance.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Skating Stickty, skating

It is a big if, but the reward could be nice.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I struggled to tell, his mobility was so bad i wasn't sure if he couldn't read the play defensively or he knew what was going on but it didn't matter because he wasn't getting there anyway

It is a big if, but the reward could be nice.

I'm a gambler at heart so I love rolling the dice on almost anybody that has a pair of skates :laugh: you don't win the lottery if you don't have a ticket

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Funny, I googled "Hoefenmayer skating"... I wanted to see what the scouts had to say about his poor skating...

May 2019- The Coyotes have decided to not sign Hoefenmayer to an entry-level contract, and he can now re-enter the 2019 NHL Draft. Hoefenmayer was excellent offensively in the OHL, this past year he put up 16 goals and 62 points in 68 games. Unfortunately, his skating was not very good and Hoefenmayer still needs work in his own zone. Keith Duggan

Scouting Reports:
“Smart two-way defenseman with tremendous skating ability, Hoefenmayer is an effortless skater than moves well in all four directions, can skate the puck himself and is very smooth on his skates, sees the ice well and can quickly step up on attackers; positional game could use some work.” – Brandon Holmes, Riding Pine Hockey

Now this was before being drafted... I wonder what he was smoking that day, or if he had good skating for that level, regressed, or never improved?

Hoefenmayer: Not signing with Arizona added fuel to my fire --> Marlies have him working on his mobility right now... so that's positive.

https://thehockeywriters.com/ottawa-67s-noel-hoefenmayer-nhl-opportunity/

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Really thought Stotts would be signed with the lack of prospects at C in Toronto.

Did Xavier Bouchard attend a camp once in Toronto? Name rings a bell.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wouldn’t mind giving Gravel a AHL contract.

Had a rough year in the Q, but has good size, technique is there. Can do some work in the ECHL next year

Really thought Stotts would be signed with the lack of prospects at C in Toronto.

Did Xavier Bouchard attend a camp once in Toronto? Name rings a bell.

Yeah Bouchard has been around our org before

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

Had a rough year in the Q, but has good size, technique is there. Can do some work in the ECHL next year

Not that Bouchard. He was drafted as a first time eligible by VGK in 2018.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

None of them are going to take an AHL contract next year unless they are not eligible to go back to the CHL (i.e. Bouthillier, Boudrais, etc.). Stotts is one of the better guys on that list. I would be surprised if Declan Chisholm is not signed to an ELC unless he is another Noel Hoefenmayer, but he was arguably the second best player on Peterborough after Robertson last year. A few other guys like Corcoran and Douglas have to be pretty close too. Mostly, it is the guys with quality production on non-powerhouse teams and can provide a lot of defensive value as well. Those four guys are probably at the top of that list for me, and I would not be surprised if another team doesn't try to pry them away and sign them if their respective teams do not.

Bouchard had a good second half once he went to a good team, but sucked in the first half when he was on a bad team. So he's likely not going to get an ELC. However he was never around our organization.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Riley Stotts is right in the Connor McGregor range. For a team light on prospects he should probably get an ELC. He might get an ELC or he might get an AHL contract. Similar to McGregor if he doesn't get one, he'll play an overage year and take the best deal he can get at that time.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think the big takeaway from the Mcgregor and potentially Stotts non elc is just how high our expectations are and how much we're swinging for the fences on every pick. Both developed well post draft, and are solid prospects with 3rd line upside. But as we have proven we can get that from Europe, from college, from the UFA market, and much closer to contributing.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I think the big takeaway from the Mcgregor and potentially Stotts non elc is just how high our expectations are and how much we're swinging for the fences on every pick. Both developed well post draft, and are solid prospects with 3rd line upside. But as we have proven we can get that from Europe, from college, from the UFA market, and much closer to contributing.

Ironically though, we could really do with a cost controlled solid, yet unspectacular 3c. If you bring one through who has a connection, maybe you get a bit of extra heart from them too and they're a bit of 'glue' that sticks around a while.

Not saying Stotts is or isn't that guy. But we sure as hell shouldn't ignore them either.

I like the look of the Corcoran lad. Not least because he's one of the youngest, so likely to have more scope to make a big jump in one year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Riley Stotts is right in the Connor McGregor range. For a team light on prospects he should probably get an ELC. He might get an ELC or he might get an AHL contract. Similar to McGregor if he doesn't get one, he'll play an overage year and take the best deal he can get at that time.

I would separate McGregor and Stotts personally. McGregor's had one season of quality production and was a top defensive player once he was given the opportunity, but I think what closed the book on him was that he did not do very well (even by the standards of playing on a weaker team) in the OHL playoffs and in his audition for the Marlies... And that he only had one good year of production. His upside was also not really of a 3C either; it was more as a really good, Jay McClement-type 4C. Those are valuable, and possibly worth an ELC, but at the same time there may not have been enough offensive upside to warrant taking the chance on an ELC. Even Gauthier was able to string together a few good production seasons in the CHL, and he was a much better defensive center than McGregor too.

Stotts has had 2.5 good years of production where he was among the team's top scorers. He has the offensive skill to generate on his own, but much like a Adam Brooks when he was in the WHL, his thing is really being able to feed off of really talented players and making them better, while playing a responsible all-around game. Unfortunately, unlike Brooks, Stotts did not really have those players in Calgary, so his production was a little bit more limited.

I think the thing to really like about Stotts over a guy like McGregor is his versatility and overall IQ. Stotts can play all three forward positions with ease (while McGregor was mostly a center) and has enough all-around upside and IQ that you can develop and deploy him in a variety of ways. I think he can develop as a PKer/shutdown guy, but still possess enough offensive upside to be an Alex Kerfoot in a middle-6 role and on a 2PP. So really you are betting on two things with him, and even if only one turns out, you still have a guy who could be a solid depth player for you down the line. With McGregor, you are essentially betting on one thing: Defense. He was going as far as his defensive ability was going to take him, and even then, I am not sure that McGregor's defensive upside is significantly better than Stotts'.

Another question you have to ask yourselves is that if SDA was not on an ELC right now, would you have given him one and not given one to Stotts? Is SDA's offensive upside worth more than Stotts? Last year, Stotts scored a lot more goals and had better overall production, and I would not say that Calgary had a whole lot more offensive talent than Peterborough (Calgary scored 240 goals vs. Peterborough's 234). Now this year obviously SDA picked it up a lot (75 points in 55 games), but Stotts actually outpaced him by quite a bit in primary point production at ES, and was not much worse on the PP either... And he did not have anyone nearly as talented as Nick Robertson to work with. SDA makes up for a bit by racking up a lot more secondary points, but all in all Stotts had like 7 fewer points (but over double the goals) in 9 more games overall. Then you have to ask yourself about other things. What about defense? Stotts has more to offer defensively than SDA I would say. SDA is 8 months younger than Stotts, does that play into anything? Both were 3rd round picks in the same draft (7 spots apart), so what did SDA do that Stotts did not which would have warranted only him earning an ELC? I obviously know in reality that SDA earned his ELC 2 years ago after a strong camp as an 18 year old, but I still think that is a comparison that needs to be made.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
The Marlies might be in for a lot of turnover on F, especially if Korshkov/Brooks make the jump.

Right now they only have these guys signed:

Agostino - Brooks - Petan
XXX - Kossila - Korshkov
XXX - Der-Arguchintsev - Brazeau
XXX - XXX - Pooley

Kinda doubt Petan is back in an AHL role either

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Ironically though, we could really do with a cost controlled solid, yet unspectacular 3c. If you bring one through who has a connection, maybe you get a bit of extra heart from them too and they're a bit of 'glue' that sticks around a while.

Not saying Stotts is or isn't that guy. But we sure as hell shouldn't ignore them either.

I like the look of the Corcoran lad. Not least because he's one of the youngest, so likely to have more scope to make a big jump in one year.

I mean we have that guy who's further ahead in his development in Brooks, I can't imagine they want to invest 2-3 years into a guy in the AHL just to have a shot at a mediocre 3/4th liner one day.

Just not worth the contract slot when you can pick up an Agostino for league min in August.

Reactions: kb

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
The Marlies might be in for a lot of turnover on F, especially if Korshkov/Brooks make the jump.

Right now they only have these guys signed:

Agostino - Brooks - Petan
XXX - Kossila - Korshkov
XXX - Der-Arguchintsev - Brazeau
XXX - XXX - Pooley

Kinda doubt Petan is back in an AHL role either
I'd imagine Jeremy McKenna slots in on the RW, too. Back to back 40+ goal seasons in the Q, I think he's a real dark horse prospect.

Korshkov will make the team this fall IMO after almost making it out of camp last season, so McKenna/Brazeau probably slot into his vacant spot.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I'd imagine Jeremy McKenna slots in on the RW, too. Back to back 40+ goal seasons in the Q, I think he's a real dark horse prospect.

Korshkov will make the team this fall IMO after almost making it out of camp last season, so McKenna/Brazeau probably slot into his vacant spot.
I would peg McKenna for the ECHL to start, but he could work his way up quick with a hot start.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Isn't it Ryan McGregor? Connor is an Irish fighter haha

Reactions: Magic Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad