Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wonder whether you would have dismissed Engvall and Holl in a similar way last May.

Engvall hasn't proven anything yet and Holl is what we call a "statistical outlier", that isn't the norm and that's why if one of those 4 guys becomes a NHL regular it's a win

Reactions: stickty111

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Brooks and Bracco are depth players getting up there in age, who cares which one is better than the other? There just dudes

None of those 4 players is a decent chance of being a regular for the Leafs, if even one works out your a winner and Rubins is a LD which is going to work against him so I wouldn't be comfortable saying any of them are ever going to be an NHL regular

How come you don't think Lindgren will be an NHLer? He's a great skater, good puck mover and solid defensively from what I've seen. I don't see him making the leafs any time soon but maybe in 2 years or so.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Engvall hasn't proven anything yet and Holl is what we call a "statistical outlier", that isn't the norm and that's why if one of those 4 guys becomes a NHL regular it's a win

So yes.

ps I was dismissing Holl this time last year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How come you don't think Lindgren will be an NHLer? He's a great skater, good puck mover and solid defensively from what I've seen. I don't see him making the leafs any time soon but maybe in 2 years or so.

He's good, not great at the AHL level and he's starting to get towards his prime playing years, I'd love for him to make the team as an every day player eventually even as a bottom pair but he's still a long shot to make it imo

That's why I think we have so many of those guys in the organization (Kivihalme, Lindgren, Hollowell, Duszak, Rubins, Kral) eventually your going to get a Holl so keep on rolling the dice

So yes.

ps I was dismissing Holl this time last year.

I thought Holl deserved a look going into last season and he could be an option for the bottom pair, I didn't see him playing with Muzzin in a shutdown role that's for damn sure

Sometimes guys surprise you, if one of those guys does that's a huge win but it's not the norm and I don't expect it

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
He's good, not great at the AHL level and he's starting to get towards his prime playing years, I'd love for him to make the team as an every day player eventually even as a bottom pair but he's still a long shot to make it imo

That's why I think we have so many of those guys in the organization (Kivihalme, Lindgren, Hollowell, Duszak, Rubins, Kral) eventually your going to get a Holl so keep on rolling the dice

I thought Holl deserved a look going into last season and he could be an option for the bottom pair, I didn't see him playing with Muzzin in a shutdown role that's for damn sure

Sometimes guys surprise you, if one of those guys does that's a huge win but it's not the norm and I don't expect it
He could very well surprise us if he becomes a regular top 4 or even top pair guy in the AHL if Lilly graduates. With regular minutes, more usage on the PK, he could develop nicely over the next 2 seasons as he is still only 22. Holl was 27 last year when he finally got a chance in the show.

I really hope he turns out as reliable 3rd pair guy for us on the cheap in a few years.

Reactions: Kiwi and stickty111

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He could very well surprise us if he becomes a regular top 4 or even top pair guy in the AHL if Lilly graduates. With regular minutes, more usage on the PK, he could develop nicely over the next 2 seasons as he is still only 22. Holl was 27 last year when he finally got a chance in the show.

I really hope he turns out as reliable 3rd pair guy for us on the cheap in a few years.

Me to, the more guys we can develop and turn into NHL caliber players the better

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I still say it really is not worth a shot. Spend the time trying to make Duszak a respectable defender.

We are not exactly thin on the wings either.

LW/RW Korshkov (96'), LW/RW Engvall (96'), RW Malgin (97'), RW Bracco (97'), RW/LW Kara (98'), C/LW/RW Holmberg (99'), LW Abruzzese (99'), C/LW Stotts (00'), C/RW Abramov (01'), LW Robertson (01')...

And that excludes Brooks and SDA who could move over to the wing to make it to the NHL, draft picks, UFA's and guys like Petan/Aberg, and guys like Brazeau, McKenna, Green and other AHL contract prospects we are going to add who could possibly make it to the NHL... All of them are more likely to make the NHL as a winger than Duszak.
Was just tongue in cheek.
Might be, might not be worth it. His profile just seems to fit the wing, was my take.
If his progression in the D side stays flat, he’s got the tools to reinvent himself.
And yeah, there’s some wingers in the system but the Marlies won’t be flush with them this coming year, anyway.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If they want to fire Moore, and if the external options aren't great, I might just promote Snowden. What a fantastic job he has done with the Growlers.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
There's always polarity about prospects but there doesn't seem to be about the AHL coach, everybody thinks he isn't working out. If Moore is to be fired, so maybe are the guys who probably recommended him (fellow U. of Maine alums Wes Clark and Scott Pellerin). What needs to happen is someone convincing Moore that he's better off back coaching in the USHL or NCAA. A harsh post season review from your management can sometimes set the wheels in motion.

This view is from the distance but he comes across as one of those dictatorial NCAA coach types who views himself as moulding character as much as being a technical coach. That stuff doesn't wash so much in pro hockey. These players are paid pros and are expected as a default to be committed to the profession. Repeatedly going to the well of criticizing your players' commitment to execution and effort loses a room fast.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
For an AHL coach, I wouldn't mind going back to a more experienced guy who may have had an NHL coaching gig before, even as head coach. Going back to developing a future NHL head coach signals that the current coach isn't being treated as a long term solution.

What about David Hakstol moving down, no cut in pay, and Keefe getting to hire someone as his assistant? I guess it's possible he won't want to do it. I suspect he probably only wants another NHL head coaching gig.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
There's always polarity about prospects but there doesn't seem to be about the AHL coach, everybody thinks he isn't working out. If Moore is to be fired, so maybe are the guys who probably recommended him (fellow U. of Maine alums Wes Clark and Scott Pellerin). What needs to happen is someone convincing Moore that he's better off back coaching in the USHL or NCAA. A harsh post season review from your management can sometimes set the wheels in motion.

This view is from the distance but he comes across as one of those dictatorial NCAA coach types who views himself as moulding character as much as being a technical coach. That stuff doesn't wash so much in pro hockey. These players are paid pros and are expected as a default to be committed to the profession. Repeatedly going to the well of criticizing your players' commitment to execution and effort loses a room fast.

Unfortunately, unless Moore gets offered an NHL assistant coaching gig and he wants to take it, he will probably be the Marlies Head Coach to start next year. However if his team continues to struggle early on in the season, I wouldn't be surprised if they do not hesitate to dump him. Teams have dumped better head coaches in a shorter period of time.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Unfortunately, unless Moore gets offered an NHL assistant coaching gig and he wants to take it, he will probably be the Marlies Head Coach to start next year. However if his team continues to struggle early on in the season, I wouldn't be surprised if they do not hesitate to dump him. Teams have dumped better head coaches in a shorter period of time.

Yep. The organization literally waited weeks for Moore to free himself from his obligations in the USHL. There's a significant level of commitment to that. Firing him at this moment in time would be an uncivil thing to do and also a red mark on Moore's resume. That's why I'm suggesting the best face-saving move for everyone involved is Moore "deciding" to step away from the job. He's got a built-in plausible explanation of wanting to stay closer to home.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Gonna throw this out there. Sandin is maturing before our eyes and he seems to have the personality to become a star in Toronto. Hope the kid can do it! Could he be our first Swede captain since Mats?

I agree that he's got the disposition of a team leader. The last thing he is passive or hesitant on the ice. And he oozes with confidence.

horner

May 22, 2007
All gate driven league's

If there is no ahl or chl season.

The NHL will have to expand rosters

Players that need to play

Robertson
Sandin
Ljiligram
Korshkov
Brooks

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Quick Shifts: Where does Jeremy Bracco go from here? - Sportsnet.ca

Aside from top defensive prospects Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren, who will both be gunning for full-time NHL gigs in 2020-21, I asked coach Greg Moore to name a few Marlies that especially impressed him with their development since his arrival in December.

Here, in order, are the players he raved about.

• Kristians Rubins, LD: “I was really impressed with, No. 1, who he is as a person, on and off the ice. Especially off the ice, his continued thirst for education and learning and growing as a person, how good of a teammate he was, and all of those factors applying to his gameplay and how much he improved from the beginning of the season to the pause. He really added a lot of different layers to his game, and it was fun to see.”

• Adam Brooks, C: “Really impressed me in terms of his skill, his brain, how good of a person he is on and off the ice with his teammates. I don’t think there was any guy in the room that could point a finger and say they don’t care for being around Brooksy. He’s just a really good person, fun to be around, loves the game. But he obviously got his first taste of the National Hockey League this year, and it was really impressive to see him thrive within those opportunities. He definitely took advantage of time on the ice, his time up there, and then when he came back, you could also see a level of confidence that he’s gained from that experience, and he’ll carry to continue into his development.”

• Kenny Agostino, LW: “The last two months of the season before the pause, he was without a doubt our most consistent and best player…. He is a person who wants to be the guy that makes a difference for the team — and you could throw him in any scenario. He’s a competitor. He’s a good leader. Obviously has a real knack for the net and scoring touching and a great shot. Great person to be around. I was really impressed with what he brought to the team on a daily basis.”

• Teemu Kivihalme and Jesper Lindgren, D: “Pretty steady defencemen for us. They did a really good job this year. There was a lot of people in and out of the lineup, especially on the back end, and outside of Lindgren’s injury, the two of them had been pretty consistent and brought really good minutes for us. I’m really excited about how they surprised me with what their talents are. There’s even another level for them to get to if they keep working, much like Liljegren.”

• Kalle Kossila, C/LW: “We didn’t get [him] in for a lot of games, but he’s a really skilled individual in the games that he was in. He definitely had a big impact for us.”

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Meh, it's not every day we have a young D like Sandin coming up in our system. Maybe Kaberle was the last one.

I predict zeke will have none of this level of optimism about Rasmus Sandin.

There were Morgan Rielly, Carlo Colaiacovo and Anton Stralman in between.

Last edited:

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Zachary Bouthillier has not heard from the Leafs regarding a contract. Not surprising with regards to an ELC, but I'd probably do an AHL deal to play with the Growlers. He wants to play in the ECHL next year, whether with the Growlers or another team.

I don't have any information on Stotts yet.

Reactions: Magic Man

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Meh, it's not every day we have a young D like Sandin coming up in our system. Maybe Kaberle was the last one.
Thats true, but captain talk is still very premature. I certainly think there is top pairing potential in him all though I feel the same for Liljegren.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Saw this in the Liljegren thread
Liljegren shooting for top-six role on Leafs blue line, whenever that might be | Torono Sun

During a conference call last week with reporters, Leafs assistant general manager Laurence Gilman, who also serves as the Toronto Marlies general manager, said he would “be surprised” if Liljegren doesn’t play in top seven or eight defencemen with the Leafs next season.

Liljegren has a desire to go one better.

“For sure, my goal is to get into the top six,” Liljegren said. “I played three years in the AHL and I had 11 games (with the Leafs) this year, so I think the next step would be to try to crack the roster full-time.”

After making his NHL debut on Jan. 18 against the Chicago Blackhawks — and becoming the answer to a trivia question as he became the 1,000th player in Leafs franchise history — Liljegren participated in the 2020 AHL all-star classic before getting recalled by the Leafs, playing in eight games in February and two more in March.

In those 11 games with the Leafs, there were some bumps, which was to be expected. Liljegren was on the ice for eight goals against during five-on-five play and three for, while averaging 10 minutes 18 seconds of ice a game, and in possession, he had a mark of 43.7%.

But the man behind the Leafs bench, Sheldon Keefe, was instrumental in Liljegren’s growth with the Marlies. From Keefe’s guidance with the farm club, as well as that of the assistant coaches, came discipline in Liljegren’s game.

“He has taught me to play through structure, but still be creative within that structure,” Liljegren said. “I’ve learned when to calculate the risks of being creative and choosing the right time to do certain things."

“Just the fact he has seen me play for three years is good for him and me. He knows what I can develop, and I know what I can do when he is coaching."

“He helped me a lot with the transition to the NHL.”

Liljegren indicated he would be part of the Leafs’ group of Black Aces when, or if, the 2019-20 regular season or playoffs are resumed.

Liljegren doesn’t necessarily see a lack of right-handed shots on the Leafs blue line as an advantage in his favour.

“I think every team wants a right-hand defenceman on the right side, but if there is a player who is better than you, you’re not going to play,” Liljegren said. “It matters a bit, but you still have to be better than the next guy.”

If Liljegren, who turned 21 on April 30, does become a Leafs regular in ’20-’21, he would join six other recent Toronto first-round picks in the lineup, including Morgan Rielly, Frederik Gauthier (assuming he still is with the Leafs), William Nylander, Mitch Marner, Auston Matthews and Rasmus Sandin.

“I gained confidence from playing at that stage, and the feeling that I can play at that level,” Liljegren said. “Gaining that experience is going to help me a lot in the future.”

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Zachary Bouthillier has not heard from the Leafs regarding a contract. Not surprising with regards to an ELC, but I'd probably do an AHL deal to play with the Growlers. He wants to play in the ECHL next year, whether with the Growlers or another team.

I don't have any information on Stotts yet.
Unless Gahagen comes back why not run with Bouthillier and Scott to start the year? Zhukov was horrible and the Growlers still won a bunch of games with him.

I'm not a fan of him at all but might as well see if we can mould him into something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad