Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
If the Leafs could find a Bigger than average, solid defensive C, who is good on draws, it might be interesting to see Bracco on a line with Robertson.... If Bracco's ability to set people up, works with Robertson's shooting in the NHL, they could make an interesting pairing.

I want to like this post, I just don't have confidence in Bracco as a Leaf. Not because he is not talented, more because he's more of the same. We need some jam.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
The biggest lesson in Stralman discussion, should be, don't give up on young D, they take time to develop fully, and that development isn't linear, or predictable. I don't know what Liljegren or Sandin end up as, but we need to let this play out, as I hope that both end up being contributors to this organization, down the road.

It would help both if they were partnered with someone capable, or more.

Reactions: Fogelhund

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
This is exactly what I've been saying all off-season. I get he's the "odd man out" because he's left handed and we already have Rielly & Muzzin (and Lehtonen/Sandin), but he's clearly our best option for 3LD, and potentially our best option for 2RD as I think he's pretty clearly better than Holl.

He's EXACTLY what the fan base wants in a defenseman, strong defensive impact, very good puck skills, very good in transition, and not afraid to throw the body/mix it up, but because he's LH people have kind of wrote him off as a trade piece. It doesn't make sense to me unless his contract demands are insane for what he's done so far because I'd much rather keep him for ~2M or less and trade Holl regardless of what we'd get back (unless someone really wants Dermott and is willing to pay a lotttttttttttttttt).

For me his play actually makes Sandin expandable. :dunno:

Another, 'I really want to like this 'post' post. I like Dermott, a lot. I think he will grow into a solid 2nd pair D, whether it be on the L side or the R. Sandin...I think he'll end up being better. I'm not sure of this year, but could you see...
Rielly XXX
Muzzin Liljegren/Dermott
Sandin Dermott/Holl/Lehtonen
(and I'm so confused about Lehtonen, where does he end up?)

Reactions: realgoodleafs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Another, 'I really want to like this 'post' post. I like Dermott, a lot. I think he will grow into a solid 2nd pair D, whether it be on the L side or the R. Sandin...I think he'll end up being better. I'm not sure of this year, but could you see...
Rielly XXX
Muzzin Liljegren/Dermott

I think Dermott is heavily underrated by this fanbase because he almost stagnated under Babcock. He came up, and was super effective defensively and just below average offensively on the third pair while being very good in transition. He's been almost the exact same guy since day 1 and to me it's only because it's impossible for him to get better without taking on a bigger role. He finally got the opportunity down the stretch (Rielly/Muzzin injuries), and with Muzzin injured in the playoffs, and he absolutely thrived in the role.

He's arguably the best bottom-pairing defenseman in the entire NHL and an absolute stud defensively. Sandin has a higher ceiling for sure offensively, but I doubt his defensive ability ever comes remotely close to Dermott.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I think Dermott is heavily underrated by this fanbase because he almost stagnated under Babcock. He came up, and was super effective defensively and just below average offensively on the third pair while being very good in transition. He's been almost the exact same guy since day 1 and to me it's only because it's impossible for him to get better without taking on a bigger role. He finally got the opportunity down the stretch (Rielly/Muzzin injuries), and with Muzzin injured in the playoffs, and he absolutely thrived in the role.

He's arguably the best bottom-pairing defenseman in the entire NHL and an absolute stud defensively. Sandin has a higher ceiling for sure offensively, but I doubt his defensive ability ever comes remotely close to Dermott.

the problem is that we have Rielly and Muzzin on the left side for the foreseeable future. Which already limits Sandin's development. Add in Dermott and Lehtonen and it makes it even tougher.

At some point, I think teams need to just make a choice on a player and sometimes they get burned and sometimes they dont.

I think given the amount of LD defenseman in the system, Dermott just becomes a numbers game and gets traded. I think Holl will be in the same boat as soon as Lily is not waiver exempt.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
the problem is that we have Rielly and Muzzin on the left side for the foreseeable future. Which already limits Sandin's development. Add in Dermott and Lehtonen and it makes it even tougher.

At some point, I think teams need to just make a choice on a player and sometimes they get burned and sometimes they dont.

I think given the amount of LD defenseman in the system, Dermott just becomes a numbers game and gets traded. I think Holl will be in the same boat as soon as Lily is not waiver exempt.

My issue is that I'm not convinced Sandin will be a better fit for us moving forward. His defensive game is well behind both Dermott and Liljegren at the same age, but his offensive game is well ahead.

To me it's the argument between Rielly & Muzzin on a lesser scale. Is Rielly's all out offense (which makes his defense passable) more important to the team than Muzzin's great defense and good offense? For me, Sandin's potential is less valuable because I'd like to re-sign Rielly and that spot on the team would be already taken. I'd gladly take Dermott's already ridiculous defense & transition impacts (and can play both sides) over Sandin's potential on offense & transition.

Thankfully we wont have to decide, but I'm just saying if it came down to trading any of our defensenan outside of Muzzin/Rielly this is how I'd rank them for me LEAST wanting to trade:

1. Dermott (assuming he's willing to take fair $$)
2. Liljegren
3. Sandin
4. Holl

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The main thing about Dermott is expansion. If we acquire another valuable defenseman (i.e. Pietrangelo), then he is either getting exposed or will force us to expose a guy like Kerfoot who we may not be prepared to replace. Sandin and Liljegren are exempt, and while it sucks to lose Holl, he is as difficult to replace as a Kerfoot or Dermott right now (as it stands right now, we could sign a guy like DeMelo for a similar contract and likely get a similar output).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The main thing about Dermott is expansion. If we acquire another valuable defenseman (i.e. Pietrangelo), then he is either getting exposed or will force us to expose a guy like Kerfoot who we may not be prepared to replace. Sandin and Liljegren are exempt, and while it sucks to lose Holl, he is as difficult to replace as a Kerfoot or Dermott right now (as it stands right now, we could sign a guy like DeMelo for a similar contract and likely get a similar output).

If we sign him to a 1 year deal, do we have to expose him?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If we sign him to a 1 year deal, do we have to expose him?

Well technically you still expose (and Seattle can select) UFA's too, but if you select them then they have no guarantee of signing with you. We are unlikely to protect Hyman, so Seattle could take him, but if he has no interest in signing with them and wants to re-sign with us, then he can just refuse to sign with them and then re-sign with us on July 1st. Pretty sure that happened with Engelland (except he re-signed) and then Berube and Thorburn were selected as part of trade agreements... They both walked right away and signed elsewhere (not with the team that let them go).

The thing is that if you are a UFA, it does not count towards the requirements to expose at least one F and D who has at least 40 games played in 2019-2020 or 70 games combined in the past two years (and whatever the requirements are for goalies). If you are a pending RFA, they do count towards that requirement.

Otherwise, pending RFA's are treated the same way as any other team... So Seattle hold exclusive rights to Dermott if they take him and really his only choice is to re-sign with them.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Korshkov just scored to tie the game up with 12 minutes left in the 3rd from a tight angle. His skating looks a little smoother than last year.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I think he’ll be in the bottom six this year.
He almost went end to end with 10 seconds left in the 3rd. His top speed has another gear this year.

Goalie stopped his shootout attempt (wrister from the slot). He's an NHL player no doubt.

Reactions: aingefan

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Rielly XXX
Muzzin Liljegren/Dermott
I don’t know but he’s tearing up the KHL to start the year, 3 goals and 3 assists in just 4 games, we might have to find a spot for him, anyone know if he’s playing the right side?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don’t know but he’s tearing up the KHL to start the year, 3 goals and 3 assists in just 4 games, we might have to find a spot for him, anyone know if he’s playing the right side?

From what I recall, when I asked that question... he's been playing more the left side, but at times, he's been on either side of the ice.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Rielly XXX
Muzzin Liljegren/Dermott

The obvious answer is playing instead of Sandin, who not ready for full time NHL duties.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He signed here to play in the NHL. It's not a matter of finding a spot for him. He's starting with the big club unless he plays his way off.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Korshkov has looked great to me at the NHL level. His game against Buffalo and that pre-season game against Montreal. I'm not sure why we can't pencil him in as a 4th liner. He has some underrated hands.
I think he should see a good number of NHL games this year, but more time in the AHL wouldn't hurt his development. An up and down type year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Mikhail Abramov named the captain of Victoriaville.

Fairly sure it is rare for a CHL Import, especially one in the QMJHL, to be named captain of his team.
Good on him. If he has another great season, he will be rocketing up prospect boards.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’m surprised Barabanov isn’t playing in the KHL until whenever the NHL starts up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad