Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It's still what I would say classifies as very impressive since he had a great season in the NCAA for a player of any status, he was 1st in ppg for U21 players, 3rd in the whole NCAA. Very impressive, he has a very real chance to become a middle six center in the NHL.

Definitely a good season. Not special though.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Robertson, Sandin, Liljegren is a pretty good 1-2-3 in the prospect pool ... And if they draft at 15th OA that will really be something good.

Depth-wise is lacking but there is a solid group of A prospects there and some B prospects with some rising potential.
don't we still have a couple of solid tenders growing also??

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Robertson, Sandin, Liljegren is a pretty good 1-2-3 in the prospect pool ... And if they draft at 15th OA that will really be something good.

Depth-wise is lacking but there is a solid group of A prospects there and some B prospects with some rising potential.

Our depth is actually pretty good. We do not have a ton of prospects in general, but we've got quite a few who are progressing quite well, even after the guys at the top.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
AEG owns the team most of them are going to too. Honestly MLSE should just buy a team in Europe so the Kings won't be allowed to do this either.

We can't use our own facilities but they can do this..
I meant moreso along the lines of why don't the Leafs buy a team as well.

But you're bang on lol as soon as they did there would be a rule against it added to the CBA.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Everyone seems to be writing Liljegren off. All 3 of the SDP guys a few days ago, the Overdrive guys today.. Am I crazy thinking this guy still has a few years before he reaches the end of the rope? Guys only 21 for Christ's sake!
It's bizarre. I don't think I can ever recall a Toronto prospect being unjustifiably crapped on as much as lily.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Everyone seems to be writing Liljegren off. All 3 of the SDP guys a few days ago, the Overdrive guys today.. Am I crazy thinking this guy still has a few years before he reaches the end of the rope? Guys only 21 for Christ's sake!

I mean the Overdrive guys are filler at best. Hayes pretends to know a lot more than he does. Noodles is hit and miss, but at least tries to be reasonable. O'Neill is mostly comic relief.

Liljegren is good enough to be in the NHL at 21. That is pretty damn good.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

The thing with Liljegren is
- due to the pre draft hype (and resultant post draft hype) he's being judged against the curve expected of a top 3 pick rather than mid round
-3 year development at the AHL level makes him look stagnant vs. getting flashy numbers in a junior league before jumping the the AHL at 20
-he missed his U20 WJC to injury which tends to be a coming out party/ litmus test for public consensus
-Sandin is absolutely crushing it

But when you actually look at his performance as a U21 player in the AHL it charts solidly as a player that has 2-3 upside and if is likely to be a 4-5 .

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
- due to the pre draft hype (and resultant post draft hype) he's being judged against the curve expected of a top 3 pick rather than mid round
-3 year development at the AHL level makes him look stagnant vs. getting flashy numbers in a junior league before jumping the the AHL at 20
-he missed his U20 WJC to injury which tends to be a coming out party/ litmus test for public consensus

But when you actually look at his performance as a U21 player in the AHL it charts solidly as a player that has 2-3 upside and if is likely to be a 4-5 .
This is spot on. When he skipped playing junior and went straight to the AHL, people lost sight of where he actually was in his development.

He's going to be a solid player. Is he going to be a top pair? Highly unlikely. Could he be a really good 4? Probably. Think Stralman.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
This is spot on. When he skipped playing junior and went straight to the AHL, people lost sight of where he actually was in his development.

He's going to be a solid player. Is he going to be a top pair? Highly unlikely. Could he be a really good 4? Probably. Think Stralman.

Peak Stralman I'd say is a better/best case scenario. 30+ point 2-3 that is strong defensively and can move the puck. Either anchors your 2nd pair or is an equal partner / strong complement to a top pair. It's not outlandish but far from a sure thing. That's his upside

Likely scenario is the 20+ point 4-5 that's adequate defensively and can move the puck, either drives your 3rd pair or is an equal partner / strong complement to a good 2nd pair or can be an adequate 2nd fiddle to a meh top pair. That's his projection.

Based on where he is now anything less is a disappointment

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

It's bizarre. I don't think I can ever recall a Toronto prospect being unjustifiably crapped on as much as lily.

I mean the Overdrive guys are filler at best. Hayes pretends to know a lot more than he does. Noodles is hit and miss, but at least tries to be reasonable. O'Neill is mostly comic relief.

Liljegren is good enough to be in the NHL at 21. That is pretty damn good.
Yeah listening to Hayes and O'Neil talk about him was cringe worthy. Did they forget that Bob said Leafs had him along with Sandin and Robertson as untouchables? Or that Lilly would be called up earlier if a RHD got hurt.

Let me post what happened in a segment on Overdrive Jan 28th.

"Hayes narrative on Liljegren got ruined in a span of a couple weeks. Bob was on Overdrive today, and Hayes brought up the 3 prospects Bob said was untouchable.
You could tell by Hayes's tone he was surprised Lilly was in that list.
Bob said if one of the players is Kapanen or Johnsson, thats a significant package. Those are good players. There will be other pieces but they won't be Sandin, Liljegren or Robertson.
Hayes asked is it because those players will be cheap, and Bob said yes, but also when the Leafs look into the defense next season, they have Sandin and Lilly being full time NHLers.

Hayes surprised said, really? Then added Sandin for sure, but Lilj, and before Hayes could finish saying Lilly's name. Bob said " the funny thing was over the course of this season, organizationally it would be fair to say Leafs thought Liljegren was better then Sandin in the AHL. Now of course Sandin did well in the World Juniors, and got the quick call up, and has played really well here. I think the upside is higher for Sandin. By all accounts though, Liljegren has played really well with the Marlies. In terms of the pecking order, he was kind of perceived to be maybe ahead of Sandin, but they brought Sandin up because they needed a left shot D."
Hayes agenda was ruined.

I feel like only Mike Johnson has an idea about anything in the organization. About a week after Keefe was hired, Hayes implied Lilly is a bust because he wasn't called up after Keefe was hired, yet in the same sentence says he doesn't watch the Marlies. Johnston then the reasonable one said well from all reports, Liljegren is doing well.
Silence from Hayes.

Peak Stralman I'd say is a better/best case scenario. 30+ point 2-3 that is strong defensively and can move the puck. Either anchors your 2nd pair or is an equal partner / strong complement to a top pair. It's not outlandish but far from a sure thing. That's his upside

Likely scenario is the 20+ point 4-5 that's adequate defensively and can move the puck, either drives your 3rd pair or is an equal partner / strong complement to a good 2nd pair or can be an adequate 2nd fiddle to a meh top pair. That's his projection.

Keefe said pretty much the same thing in an interview.

"It remains to be seen at this level, but if you follow his progression at the AHL level, I see something similar happening here. It takes time for him to become comfortable and confident. At times he is unsure of himself, but then when it clicks as it did in the 2nd half of last season, he is a very reliable defensive player that is hard to play against because his gap control, and the way he shuts things down in the neutral zone and just his skill set. Once he gets the confidence to move with the puck and can make a play. I think he has adjusted to that quicker in this level I thought he might. He like Sandin and any young defenceman are still having times where it's a little inconsistent then you'd like because of the pressure the opposition puts on you, and it comes a little quicker. You can question yourself a little bit. It's why it's important to keep things in context with both of those 2 guys, and take things slowly, and pull back as we will do with Liljegren here tonight. I think he's just going to be an all round very good and very productive defenceman that can contribute in both special teams, and play against good players. Thats the track he was on in the American league. I have said it a lot but we forget he is only 20 years old. For a lot of cases, it would be a guy just coming into pro hockey, and just playing his 1st year in the American league. Instead, he's a guy who played in a game 7 in the Calder Cup and won it. Played in the top pairing last year and really thrived in that position all the way to the Conference finals. To me, he is ahead of the curve in a lot of ways, but he still is just 20, and Rasmus is 19.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Based simply on where the team is now, I'd slot TL beside Muzzin. A good vet smoothing out some of the learning curve for the rookie. Holl/Dermott/Lehtonen to fight it out on the 3rd pair. Unless Lehtonen is that ellusive 1 in a million, 'look what we found' guy that could handle 1st pair duty with Morgan, we are still left with the ever annual search for a competent partner for our best Dman.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Based simply on where the team is now, I'd slot TL beside Muzzin. A good vet smoothing out some of the learning curve for the rookie. Holl/Dermott/Lehtonen to fight it out on the 3rd pair. Unless Lehtonen is that ellusive 1 in a million, 'look what we found' guy that could handle 1st pair duty with Morgan, we are still left with the ever annual search for a competent partner for our best Dman.
Would be interesting to see how Liljegren would do with Muzzin for a 20 game stretch. Putting him with a competent veteran could do wonders for him.

It's what most teams do with young OFD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad