HM: Kokkonen

Goalies:
Ian Scott
Joseph Woll

Reactions: Papi 4 Hart

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You think well have 6 rookies next season?

Not that I think all 6 that were mentioned will be full-time in the NHL next year, but Barabanov, Lehtonen and Sandin all will not qualify as rookies next year according the NHL (26 years old for Bara and Leh, and exceeded 25 games this year for Sandin).

Reactions: kb

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I use Calder rookie eligibility to determine prospect status. That rules out Sandin. Lehtonen and Barabanov as well who have aged out from Calder eligibility. Sandin would have been 1. Lehtonen and Barabanov in that order behind Liljegren. I'm also doing overall rankings, but you can deduce F/D/G from that

1. Robertson
2. Liljegren
3. Kokkonen
4. Korshkov
5. Abruzzese
6. Abramov
7. Bracco
8. SDA
9. Lindgren
10. Scott
11. Woll
12. Kara
13. Hollowell
14. Brooks
15. Rasanen
16. Koster
17. Duszak
18. Kral
19. Holmberg
20. Loponen

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I use Calder rookie eligibility to determine prospect status. That rules out Sandin. Lehtonen and Barabanov as well who have aged out from Calder eligibility. Sandin would have been 1. Lehtonen and Barabanov in that order behind Liljegren. I'm also doing overall rankings, but you can deduce F/D/G from that

1. Robertson
2. Liljegren
3. Kokkonen
4. Korshkov
5. Abruzzese
6. Abramov
7. Bracco
8. SDA
9. Lindgren
10. Scott
11. Woll
12. Kara
13. Hollowell
14. Brooks
15. Rasanen
16. Koster
17. Duszak
18. Kral
19. Holmberg
20. Loponen
Robertson is a draft steal in the Aho range by looks of it. Three years of him then he will get a massive contract. The day he comes on board this team hits there window of opportunity. I don’t know if we are that ready yet because of the youth of this team. The defense reconstruction dictates how successful that window will be.

Draft and development is as it always was.Very very important.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
FORWARDS
#1 Robertson will make the Leafs out of camp
#2 Adam Brooks will make Leafs out of camp(4th line center)
#3 Barabanov will make leafs out of camp
#4 Korshkov will make Leafs out of camp
#5 Abramov is best prospect not to make the team next season.
DEFENSE
#1 Sandin will make leafs out of camp (unless some big movement happens) trades/Ufa
#2 Lehtonen will make the team(most veteran rookie)
#3 Liljegren but could end up involved in a trade.
Goaltenders
#1 Ian Scott
#2 Joseph Woll. Both are years away.

The Leafs will not be icing that many rookies/1st year players next year.

Most likely just Lehtonen and Barabanov

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

1. Robertson
2. Liljegren
3. Kokkonen
4. Korshkov
5. Abruzzese
6. Abramov
7. Bracco
8. SDA
9. Lindgren
10. Scott
11. Woll
12. Kara
13. Hollowell
14. Brooks
15. Rasanen
16. Koster
17. Duszak
18. Kral
19. Holmberg
20. Loponen
I like your list, but just to nitpick a few things:
  • I don't see the justification for having Abruzzese above Bracco. At the same age, Bracco had broken Kane's assist record (since beaten by Jack Hughes), won a Memorial cup with a near 2.0PPG stretch with Kitchener before that, won Gold with USA at the U20s, and won a Calder Cup with the Marlies. The next year he put up 79 points in the AHL. IMO they are very similar prospects and I believe Abruzzese is even less physically developed at the same age with similar issues (top speed, physicality, etc.), but his defence and compete are slightly better.
  • Despite Woll's ugly sv%, I still think he's ahead of Scott because this was an unavoidable process year for him. Transitioning to the AHL is murder for young goalies. Scott will need to go through the exact same growing pains and has now lost an entire development year to boot. He also had 1 good junior season compared to 3 for Woll with BU. I guess it's a coin flip but I like Woll's experience and track record better.
  • Abramov is way too low for me. I have him right behind Robertson and Liljegren (following your criteria) and believe he has the highest upside of any other prospect. Biggest dark horse prospect in the organization.

Reactions: stickty111

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The prospect pool is pretty rare and kind of weak right now but that is to be expected with so many graduation from 2015-2017. We also didnt have a 1st 2019 and no 1st this year along with the loss of the 3rds from other deals. I'm expecting our prospect pool to be nearly barren of nhl players after this next crop graduates. From 2021 to 2024 drafts we will be looking to getting the next crop of guys who can come in and be talented nhl players for us 5-7 years down the line. As long as we value our picks and invest in scouting and development we should be able to jump up the prospect rankings

Reactions: Menzinger

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I like your list, but just to nitpick a few things:
  • I don't see the justification for having Abruzzese above Bracco. At the same age, Bracco had broken Kane's assist record (since beaten by Jack Hughes), won a Memorial cup with a near 2.0PPG stretch with Kitchener before that, won Gold with USA at the U20s, and won a Calder Cup with the Marlies. The next year he put up 79 points in the AHL. IMO they are very similar prospects and I believe Abruzzese is even less physically developed at the same age with similar issues (top speed, physicality, etc.), but his defence and compete are slightly better.
  • Despite Woll's ugly sv%, I still think he's ahead of Scott because this was an unavoidable process year for him. Transitioning to the AHL is murder for young goalies. Scott will need to go through the exact same growing pains and has now lost an entire development year to boot. He also had 1 good junior season compared to 3 for Woll with BU. I guess it's a coin flip but I like Woll's experience and track record better.
  • Abramov is way too low for me. I have him right behind Robertson and Liljegren (following your criteria) and believe he has the highest upside of any other prospect. Biggest dark horse prospect in the organization.

Personally I see Bracco as higher but it seems like he has no future here and will either be sold for almost nothing or lost on waivers. That might not be the way to do a prospect ranking but I’ve deflated Bracco a bit for those reasons.

I view Abruzzese and Abramov as similar level guys. Both small skilled 4th round picks who has fantastic years. You talk about Abramov like he’s great and I really like him, but Abruzzese just had the most points by a freshman in all the NCAA. I get he’s 2 years older than most but he’s got huge upside as well. I probably could have put both above Korshkov, but I love Kokkonen. I guess it says more about how amazing I think our 2019 draft was.

Will and Scott is a toss up. I had them as essentially equal entering this year. That hasn’t changed much. Put Woll behind because he had a bad first pro year and is older while Scott’s lost year was bad luck

Reactions: Saint Blue

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Personally I see Bracco as higher but it seems like he has no future here and will either be sold for almost nothing or lost on waivers. That might not be the way to do a prospect ranking but I’ve deflated Bracco a bit for those reasons.

I view Abruzzese and Abramov as similar level guys. Both small skilled 4th round picks who has fantastic years. You talk about Abramov like he’s great and I really like him, but Abruzzese just had the most points by a freshman in all the NCAA. I get he’s 2 years older than most but he’s got huge upside as well. I probably could have put both above Korshkov, but I love Kokkonen. I guess it says more about how amazing I think our 2019 draft was.

Will and Scott is a toss up. I had them as essentially equal entering this year. That hasn’t changed much. Put Woll behind because he had a bad first pro year and is older while Scott’s lost year was bad luck
Yeah, by all accounts they're in a similar tier like you said. I just think Abramov has better translatable skills and produced at a high level with less of a supporting cast. I definitely don't believe Drury was solely driving that line in Harvard, but they benefited greatly from one another. Abramov had nobody and outscored the next guy on his team by dozens of points.

Abramov has a harder, more accurate shot that goalies don't even see/react to. He's bigger/stronger, a better skater in every direction, and overall brings a more pro package while also sharing some of the same strengths that Abruzzese brings (vision and playmaking). I just can't see how his offensive package doesn't make him a top 9er at the NHL level.

I guess it's a matter of preference and both players had strong years so the Leafs are lucky to have them coming out of the same draft.

Reactions: stickty111

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The Leafs will not be icing that many rookies/1st year players next year.

Most likely just Lehtonen and Barabanov

Yeah i may be overboard on that :)

Lehtonen and Barabanov aren’t really rookies in my thinking there. I didn’t know Sandin was not considered a rookie when i posted that. I do think Robertson and Korshkov will play. Brooks was a longshot in Goats spot.

Maybe a little outrageous:)

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah i may be overboard on that :)

Lehtonen and Barabanov aren’t really rookies in my thinking there. I didn’t know Sandin was not considered a rookie when i posted that. I do think Robertson and Korshkov will play. Brooks was a longshot in Goats spot.

Maybe a little outrageous:)

As an OHL season ticket holder and a massive Robertson fan, there is close to a 0% chance he plays with the Maple Leafs next year.

Korsh and Brooks will be 1st in line for callups, but I don't believe either of them break camp with the Leafs.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
As an OHL season ticket holder and a massive Robertson fan, there is close to a 0% chance he plays with the Maple Leafs next year.

Korsh and Brooks will be 1st in line for callups, but I don't believe either of them break camp with the Leafs.
Curious, why you think that? Wouldn't he have to go back to the OHL?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Curious, why you think that? Wouldn't he have to go back to the OHL?

Yes, he would.

His game just isn't ready yet. Going back to the OHL where he can get bigger, faster and stronger isn't a bad thing.

He's an extremely young D+1 (missed this years draft by days), no need to rush him.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yes, he would.

His game just isn't ready yet. Going back to the OHL where he can get bigger, faster and stronger isn't a bad thing.

He's an extremely young D+1 (missed this years draft by days), no need to rush him.
Yes. 1 more season before hes NHL eligible

Thanks.
This will probably be the most interesting story coming out of the next camp. (if this season ever ends)

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Thanks.
This will probably be the most interesting story coming out of the next camp. (if this season ever ends)
I believe the criteria is 20 years of age at a particular date, OR 4 seasons of CHL play. Ive never gotten an answer on what constitutes 4 seasons though. 1 game? 10 games?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I believe the criteria is 20 years of age at a particular date, OR 4 seasons of CHL play. Ive never gotten an answer on what constitutes 4 seasons though. 1 game? 10 games?
Not sure how old he is but if this Pandemic drags on long enough perhaps he will be too old to be sent back?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure how old he is but if this Pandemic drags on long enough perhaps he will be too old to be sent back?
He can still play in the CHL as an overager but hes not obligated to (well not obligated....). AHL becomes an option.

Euro leagues are always an option. But thats a road rarely taken.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Robertson is still only 18. Would be 18 when the season starts (if it does). So he doesn't age out for another 2 years.

However, he'll have 4 years of OHL service after this season.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He can still play in the CHL as an overager but hes not obligated to (well not obligated....). AHL becomes an option.
That's what I was getting at.
IMO, top players should be developed in the Pros not back in junior.
(I understand why they have the rule, just don't like it).

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Is that 20 years of age some kind of new rule? You're talking about the NHL?

How old was McDavid when he played?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Is that 20 years of age some kind of new rule? You're talking about the NHL?

How old was McDavid when he played?

That poster referring to the 20 year old rule is for the OHL.

OHL teams are permitted to carry 4 overage players (dressing 3 on game nights). However that changes post trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad