Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Robertson is still only 18. Would be 18 when the season starts (if it does). So he doesn't age out for another 2 years.

However, he'll have 4 years of OHL service after this season.

Not just that. Robertson was born 2 months premature, 7 months from conception. His birth date should have been November 2001.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
That poster referring to the 20 year old rule is for the OHL.

OHL teams are permitted to carry 4 overage players (dressing 3 on game nights). However that changes post trade deadline.

Cool. I'm not great with these age eligibility things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
That's what I was getting at.
IMO, top players should be developed in the Pros not back in junior.
(I understand why they have the rule, just don't like it).
It isnt ideal for all players, but on the whole its better for the development of many. I.e. having a better league is better for 20 players on a team, but holds back 1 or 2.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It isnt ideal for all players, but on the whole its better for the development of many. I.e. having a better league is better for 20 players on a team, but holds back 1 or 2.
There should be a Team option, not a strict rule.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Is that 20 years of age some kind of new rule? You're talking about the NHL?

How old was McDavid when he played?
No its not new. The cba has a rule that anyone coming out of the CHL is not eligible for tge AHL until they reach that age or they play 4 seasons. They must play in the CHL or NHL (ornjump ship to Europe).

The CHL has rules that you cant play pastvage 21, and each team is only allowed to have up to 3 players (i think 3) over 20.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
There should be a Team option, not a strict rule.
Leave it up to the team?

Nah. Theyd almost all choose the AHL. Almostvall decent prosoects would go to the AHL right away. Its counterproductive.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Cool. I'm not great with these age eligibility things.

Would Robertson be eligible to play in the 20-21 NHL season?
Yes. As soon as a player is drafted theyre eligible for the NHL. Its the AHL theyre not. Hes not AHL eligible.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
That poster referring to the 20 year old rule is for the OHL.

OHL teams are permitted to carry 4 overage players (dressing 3 on game nights). However that changes post trade deadline.
No it works both ways. There is a 20 year old rule f9rbthe CHL but also the AHL. at age 20 theyre AHL eligible regardless of years of CHL play.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
No it works both ways. There is a 20 year old rule f9rbthe CHL but also the AHL. at age 20 theyre AHL eligible regardless of years of CHL play.

Yes, I know. I was talking specifically about the CHL rule.

You can also play in the AHL before the age of 20, depending on where you're drafted from i.e. - Sandin, Lil

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, I know. I was talking specifically about the CHL rule.

You can also play in the AHL before the age of 20, depending on where you're drafted from i.e. - Sandin, Lil
Yes. Its specific to CHL players. Its the transfer agreement theyve arranged.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Yes. Its specific to CHL players. Its the transfer agreement theyve arranged.

Yes, which technically, from a development stand point I don't entirely agree with.

A player like Robertson (who I personally don't feel is NHL ready) could benefit from playing in the AHL this coming season.

However, as mentioned, being an OHL season ticket holder it's hard to complain as I reap the benefits, getting to watch players like Robby and the like for an extra year.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, which technically, from a development stand point I don't entirely agree with.

A player like Robertson (who I personally don't feel is NHL ready) could benefit from playing in the AHL this coming season.

However, as mentioned, being an OHL season ticket holder it's hard to complain as I reap the benefits, getting to watch players like Robby and the like for an extra year.

Its hard to say conclusively. As i alluded to earlier, the thought process is that while he may not, the other 20 players on his team, and for that matter, all the players he plays against, do benefit. A strong CHL is a good thing for the majority.

Im not sure if another arrangement would be better. Maybe.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
As an OHL season ticket holder and a massive Robertson fan, there is close to a 0% chance he plays with the Maple Leafs next year.

Korsh and Brooks will be 1st in line for callups, but I don't believe either of them break camp with the Leafs.
Dubas has what seems like a opposite take on Robertson than your take. I’m not sure if you have seen the interviews Dubas had on Robertson. He feels now regretfully, that maybe he should have given Robertson a longer look last season.

He then continues that the ball is in Robertson’s court on how far he will go in making the team next season. He will be given every chance to do so next time. I don’t believe he doubts the probability of Robertson making the team to the degree you might.

Thats the fun with camp anyway watching to see who might surprise. As long as this cap stays minimum equal/flat, we can be a real good team. Signing Dermott and Mikheyev as priorities seems reasonably possible at a affordable cap hit for both. I would think between $2,000,000 and $2,500,000 for each @ 3 years kind of range. That’s Hyman type money as a team dynamic perspective.

We could possibly not trade a single player and fit in the cap. Thats something to watch with the team. So then there would be no room for multiple rookies.

Reactions: weems

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
I feel that the best prospects in the system should be the ones who are closest to the NHL. With that said:

1)Sandin - will be on the Leafs roster when the league restarts, unless they restart this season.
2)Korshkov - will be on the Leafs roster when the league restarts, unless they restart this season.
3)Engvall - will be on the Leafs roster when the league restarts, unless they restart this season.
4)Bracco - will be on the Leafs roster when the league restarts, unless they restart this season.
5)Liljegren - will need one more year with the Marlies

Honourable mentions(in order of rank): 1) Joseph Duszak 2)Nick Robertson 3)Nick Abruzzese

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dubas has what seems like a opposite take on Robertson than your take. I’m not sure if you have seen the interviews Dubas had on Robertson. He feels now regretfully, that maybe he should have given Robertson a longer look last season.

He then continues that the ball is in Robertson’s court on how far he will go in making the team next season. He will be given every chance to do so next time. I don’t believe he doubts the probability of Robertson making the team to the degree you might.

Thats the fun with camp anyway watching to see who might surprise. As long as this cap stays minimum equal/flat, we can be a real good team. Signing Dermott and Mikheyev as priorities seems reasonably possible at a affordable cap hit for both. I would think between $2,000,000 and $2,500,000 for each @ 3 years kind of range. That’s Hyman type money as a team dynamic perspective.

We could possibly not trade a single player and fit in the cap. Thats something to watch with the team. So then there would be no room for multiple rookies.

Yeah, listening to a couple of thr media guys it seems like the plan is for Robertson to have a very fair shot st making the roster.

I think theyll squeeze Dermott for a 1 year under 2 mil deal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah, listening to a couple of thr media guys it seems like the plan is for Robertson to have a very fair shot st making the roster.

I think theyll squeeze Dermott for a 1 year under 2 mil deal
I was looking at cap friendly and would rather Dermott sign three years to get by both Andersen and Rielly’s contract years. Dermott @ $2,500,000 or there about would be fair. He has not separated himself that much from rookie year to now that says he deserves a large raise. Thats a good thing but next contract term we need to see more growth from him.

Dubas could show some sand and push 3 years at a reasonable cap hit. Both Dermott and Mikheyev coming in around Hyman money @3 years seems logical.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Kind of long complicated read here on the topic of movement requirements.

Will a Maple Leafs return to play include Nick Robertson?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Also i think SDA may need a bit more love in this thread.

Hes got a long way to go still, but hes one of the few guys in the system with genuine boom potential outside of the top 3-4 guys.
Totally agree. His skating and hand skills have 1st line level potential. He is one of few guys we have left with top line level potential. Now he could bust too. When I saw him skate with prospects it was crystal clear he could do things with puck no one else on ice could even dream of doing.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I'm really curious to see how the next season or two play out for Lindren and Kral. Seems like Lindgren had a stalled year or 2 after being drafted, but if I am not mistaken, his stock has risen significantly in the last year. Kral is a very interesting prospect as well, and bound for AHL next year I would think. I also see some talk about Duszak, which is nice to see. He was pretty hyped going into his signing, but some on here were doubting him as a viable prospect.

Woll and Scott progressing too will be huge. Freddy will want to get paid after next year, and there isn't even chicken to go around.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm really curious to see how the next season or two play out for Lindren and Kral. Seems like Lindgren had a stalled year or 2 after being drafted, but if I am not mistaken, his stock has risen significantly in the last year. Kral is a very interesting prospect as well, and bound for AHL next year I would think. I also see some talk about Duszak, which is nice to see. He was pretty hyped going into his signing, but some on here were doubting him as a viable prospect.

Woll and Scott progressing too will be huge. Freddy will want to get paid after next year, and there isn't even chicken to go around.
On Lindgren, he has had a steady climb since being drafted, and I don't believe his development has really stalled at any point. Maybe in his D+1, but he had a great season in a decent league in his D+2. He then played in a good league in Liga where he didn't have good production, but played a defensive role. He than was fantastic the very next season, playing a top 4 role on a championship team in the same league. This season he was one of the best defencemen for the Marlies, and potentially made himself an NHL depth option.
To the average fan, he isn't well known and might consider him a failed prospect, but to people who are more in the know on prospects, he has had a solid developmental path.

Kral played well in his D+1 with solid production. He played his overage season this year and was one of the better defencemen in the league, and he needs to be that. There are a lot of tools but we have to wait and see how he does in the AHL.

Duszak is the classic high high reward prospect. Great offensively, but awful defensively. He has good numbers but defensively he needs to improve to get an NHL chance in the future

Reactions: Cams

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Haven’t seen Bracco on any lists.
Is he looking to be a bust or is it that the Leafs forward prospects are that deep?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Haven’t seen Bracco on any lists.
Is he looking to be a bust or is it that the Leafs forward prospects are that deep?

His recent seasln I think has soured folks on him.

Hes at an age where he should look overwhelmingly ready to make an NHL roster and it just hasnt clicked.

Imo the fact he didnt even get a callup seems telling management are looking to move on from him sooner rather than later

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad