Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Growlers announced their protection list (essentially, their reserve list headed into next year)
Growlers Announce Protected Player List

Goaltenders (2): Michael Garteig, Parker Gahagen
Defensemen (4) : Garrett Johnston, Evan Neugold, James Melindy, Tommy Panico
Forwards (3): Todd Skirving, Mark Tremaine, Dylan Vander Esch

It's kind of funny. The Growlers list is literally a third of some of the other teams, because the way the Leafs run things. ECHL teams don't need to protect players on NHL/AHL deals, and since we run the organization so deep, it leaves the Growlers with a fraction of the ECHL players of the other teams. And their holding on to Garteig's rights as he plays in Europe, so we can't even count him in as part of their actual stable.

It looks the only roster member the team is relinquishing their rights to is Robert Powers (LD/LW).
Everyone else was either on loan, or were on the roster with an AHL/NHL contract.

That said, the Growlers are looking to lose a couple of regulars, who were on AHL contracts, to Europe next year, namely Mike Kapla, Matt Bradley, and Brady Ferguson, so a couple of holes to fill.

Ferguson's a big hit for them. Always felt he deserved an extended look with Marlies, but I think he'll do well in Sweden.

Reactions: uncleben

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Random minor news, but I just found out that Sergei Sapego's AHL deal with the Marlies was 2-years, so he is back again next year.

He didn't exactly light it up this year, but he did technically have a year of Junior eligibility still.

Is there a resource out there that has the terms for AHL deals? I know Brazeau and Conrad got two years as well.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Random minor news, but I just found out that Sergei Sapego's AHL deal with the Marlies was 2-years, so he is back again next year.

He didn't exactly light it up this year, but he did technically have a year of Junior eligibility still.

Is there a resource out there that has the terms for AHL deals? I know Brazeau and Conrad got two years as well.
I'm pretty it was 1, still though good to see him back. I believe Sapego is a legit prospect.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'd possibly take Gaudet back on an AHL deal (although I would rather see the Marlies depth chart be something like Brooks - UFA - Kossila - SDA - Elynuik next year) and would definitely take Garret Wilson back on an AHL deal, but it is important to have our prospects be given some defensive responsibility as well. Get some veterans who can play in a top 9 but can also handle shut down duties, and make sure there are some quality veterans in the rotation on AHL deals (Pooley has already been re-signed and MacMaster, Wilson, Gaudet, etc. may join them), but have those prospects on the 4th line also be given some defensive responsibility. I don't expect SDA to be an amazing PKer or defensive player, but I still want to see him develop in that area even if he does not PK in the NHL. Johnsson had some PK duties on the Marlies even though he does not do it on the Leafs, and he is a much better defensive player as a result.

I hope to see something like this:
Agostino - Brooks - Malgin***
Petan - Quine* - Noesen*
Perlini* - Kossila - Aberg***
Wilson** - SDA - Brazeau
MacMaster** - Elynuik** - Pooley

*UFA signing
**AHL contract signing
*** Pending RFA re-signing

Of course Bracco is dealt. Right now, I have him going to Calgary in exchange for a conditional 3rd, but San Jose, Buffalo, Detroit and Florida are also legitimate destinations for him.

I'm very interested in seeing how both develop, and I find your pairing of the two intriguing as they would appear to compliment the other nicely. Do you have impressions as to how they will develop over the next couple of years? Can Brazeau's skating be improved to the point he is a legitimate prospect, can SDA address his concerns? A 'win' for either, especially Brazeau, would be wonderful.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm very interested in seeing how both develop, and I find your pairing of the two intriguing as they would appear to compliment the other nicely. Do you have impressions as to how they will develop over the next couple of years? Can Brazeau's skating be improved to the point he is a legitimate prospect, can SDA address his concerns? A 'win' for either, especially Brazeau, would be wonderful.

While I would have liked to see Stotts in the mix instead of a guy like MacMaster, that team is very deep. There is no reason for Moore not to be able to perform with that roster, unless he has no luck with injuries.

Hopefully SDA and Brazeau can develop on the 4th line. You never stand out down there, but you do learn a lot.

Reactions: meefer

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Growlers lose O'Brien and Power as well to the DEL2.

Team may look pretty youth heavy:
*Estephan (maybe moves on) and Brazeau in the AHL*

Riley Woods - Semyon Der-Arguchintsev - Gordie Green
Trey Bradley - Colt Conrad - Jeremy McKenna
Todd Skirving - Bobby McMann - Dylan Vander Esch
Mark Tremaine

Still some signings TBA I would imagine

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Growlers lose O'Brien and Power as well to the DEL2.

Team may look pretty youth heavy:
*Estephan (maybe moves on) and Brazeau in the AHL*

Riley Woods - Semyon Der-Arguchintsev - Gordie Green
Trey Bradley - Colt Conrad - Jeremy McKenna
Todd Skirving - Bobby McMann - Dylan Vander Esch
Mark Tremaine

Still some signings TBA I would imagine

I think we are going to see the Marlies/Growlers sign 6 more forwards and a couple more defensemen. I don't think they want Skirving, Tremaine or Vander Esch in that top 10, and I think they are expecting SDA in the AHL next year.

Reactions: Duke16

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
That's what is floating around. Given what was said, it was a very narrow list of possible players.
He said older and drafted, so at the time it would leave these names.

Jeremy Bracco
Adam Mascherin
Connor Bunnaman
Connor Hall
Luke Opilka

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Some not so nice rumors about Bracco floating around today.
It's not necessarily about Bracco, but he's probably done in the organization if it is. I don't want to speculate too much but I wonder if this has anything to do with his leave of absence this year

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Said still had a hockey career to worry about, which also removes Opilka.
It's probably worth noting that Guest follows Hall, Mascherin, and Bunnaman on Twitter... but not Bracco...

Doubt you go public and still have the person responsible as one of 106 people you follow

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Can we get some sources on this?
No source has outright said its Bracco. But, Eric Guest talking about hazing on the 16/17 Kitchener Rangers is out there. And through process of elimination its one of maybe 4 players, which includes Bracco.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
No source has outright said its Bracco. But, Eric Guest talking about hazing on the 16/17 Kitchener Rangers is out there. And through process of elimination its one of maybe 4 players, which includes Bracco.

Thanks for sharing - obviously gotta make sure there's some credibility with these types of rumours.

Crazy stuff, it really needs to stop.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Said still had a hockey career to worry about, which also removes Opilka.

I did not catch that part. I just heard that he was drafted and had a career to worry about at the time, which would have included Opilka too.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
It's probably worth noting that Guest follows Hall, Mascherin, and Bunnaman on Twitter... but not Bracco...

Doubt you go public and still have the person responsible as one of 106 people you follow

Does he follow Opilka?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad