Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Ppg doesn't always tell the tale... so I'm higher on Minten than you, again, that was sorta' the point of my post 📫

Go check out Poitras junior numbers and how well he's doing for Boston now in his rookie year
Poitras isn't really a good comparable. He had 95 pts in 63 games in his D+1 in junior. Minten had 48 pts in 43 games this year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Poitras isn't really a good comparable. He had 95 pts in 63 games in his D+1 in junior. Minten had 48 pts in 43 games this year.

2022-2023: Poitras had 16 goals in 63 games.
2022-2023: Minten had 31 goals in 57 games.

Kind of throws a different wrinkle at those 95 points doesn't it?

Not saying who is better, who plays what role, but 16 goals isn't impressive at all is it?

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

Not saying who is better, who plays what role, but 16 goals isn't impressive at all is it?
That just means they're different types of players. Barzal for example only had 10 goals in his last year of junior.

I didn't realize I had compared Poitras' D+1 to Minten's D+2. That was a brain fart on my part. Minten still only had 67 pts in 57 games in his D+1 compared to Poitras 95 in 63.

The Junior production and what I've seen from him so far, still isn't showing any indications of a top 6 player in the NHL imo. I would expect him to be in that 95 pt range for that. He can still develop and be a late bloomer but as of right now, I see a guy that could be a solid, physical, 2 way, 3rd line center like Dave Bolland. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: supermann_98

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That just means they're different types of players. Barzal for example only had 10 goals in his last year of junior.

I didn't realize I had compared Poitras' D+1 to Minten's D+2. That was a brain fart on my part. Minten still only had 67 pts in 57 games in his D+1 compared to Poitras 95 in 63.

The Junior production and what I've seen from him so far, still isn't showing any indications of a top 6 player in the NHL imo. I would expect him to be in that 95 pt range for that. He can still develop and be a late bloomer but as of right now, I see a guy that could be a solid, physical, 2 way, 3rd line center like Dave Bolland. And there's nothing wrong with that.

No I don't see a top 6 player in Minten, but if he could become a bottom 6 center, that's a win.

Both drafted same year, one reliant on others to score, although 5 goals in the NHL in 33 games as a rookie isn't horrible. But Poitras was 6th. on his team in 2022-2023 for goals. Seems like a play maker who is going to be dependent on others for production.

Minten, drafted same year as Poitras, was tied for 3rd. on his team for goals.

From everything we know, Minten's role isn't scoring, but I don't know enough about Poitras to know if his game is going to be as a setup man, or someone you throw out to defend the lead?

Likely, two different players.

Perhaps, while a year apart in draft Voit would be a better comparison to Poitras?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Not sure whats goin on here but I believe our only guy on the Growlers right now is Peksa.

If the league takes over the Growlers can ML$E not simply buy them?

They should just make the ECHL into a development league for players 18-22 anyway. The CHL transfer rule is a killer for players, like Dal Colle and Wright, who get caught up in it. Teams should have the right to play anyone they've drafted and signed under contract to wherever they feel is best for their development anyway.

If the CHL doesn't like it too bad.

Reactions: hullsy47

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Not sure whats goin on here but I believe our only guy on the Growlers right now is Peksa.

That's crazy. I appreciate that MLSE doesn't own the Growlers, but you would still think that they would want stability in their affiliate. It might be why we don't have many players down there right now. I wonder if they'll change affiliates, or what will happen. That seemed to be a good relationship.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
No I don't see a top 6 player in Minten, but if he could become a bottom 6 center, that's a win.

Both drafted same year, one reliant on others to score, although 5 goals in the NHL in 33 games as a rookie isn't horrible. But Poitras was 6th. on his team in 2022-2023 for goals. Seems like a play maker who is going to be dependent on others for production.

Minten, drafted same year as Poitras, was tied for 3rd. on his team for goals.

From everything we know, Minten's role isn't scoring, but I don't know enough about Poitras to know if his game is going to be as a setup man, or someone you throw out to defend the lead?

Likely, two different players.

Perhaps, while a year apart in draft Voit would be a better comparison to Poitras?
the key part of Minten's potential is that he is an all-situation 'big' C
His defensive acumen is elite for his age, while his offense may be underwhelming.
He's likely going to be someplace in between a Daneault (primarily a #3C who can defend vs top lines, and chip in the odd points) and ROR (2-way force) ...even if its the Daneault top end, thats pretty good too.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
This is almost a cloned response I've received to the same exact post in which I already replied in the previous page...

by the way you're cherry picking Poitras numbers... if you actually took the time to read my post correctly... or all the other posts following... you would have noticed I did specifically reference Poitras junior "career" lol not draft +1 year 😂 and never Minten and Poitras game directly...

Please go back and read the 5 or 10 posts proceeding the one you responding too... and you'll have all the answers to your life's desires and dreams, cheers

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018

Thank you @ULF_55
now this is a guy that understands 🙏

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
the key part of Minten's potential is that he is an all-situation 'big' C
His defensive acumen is elite for his age, while his offense may be underwhelming.
He's likely going to be someplace in between a Daneault (primarily a #3C who can defend vs top lines, and chip in the odd points) and ROR (2-way force) ...even if its the Daneault top end, thats pretty good too.
I mean that's pretty lofty expectations, Danault has been a consistent 50pt scorer while also being arguably the best shutdown centre in the game the last few years. Prime ROR was a #1 all situations centre.

We had this discussion about Minten a bit ago and Scott Laughton was a name that made sense to me for upside. Similar size and profile as a gritty two way C, 30 to 40 points. Minten needs to take some steps forward here to reach that offensive upside for me though. Michael McLeod (without the off ice issues obviously), or even recent Leaf Noel Acciari makes sense to me as a more safe projection.

Although more of a C/W Acciari is good on the draw, good defensively, physical, offensive game is limited by passing/creativity but he is a decent shooter capable of giving you ~15 goals in a 4th line and defense heavy role. I think I'd say the same about Mintens offense at this point.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
are the marlies in a playoff spot? Would be nice to see a Greb Minten Cowan line in the playoffs

They are tied for the last playoff spot but technically out of the playoffs due to losing the tie breaker right now. It's gonna be a tight race.

Minten and Cowan are expected to go very deep in the CHL playoffs, if not make it to the memorial cup. CHL playoffs start soon though so we'll see. If their respective team get ousted early, I would 100% expect them to be on the Marlies if they are still going.

Greb isn't signed to an ELC yet and I'd be very surprised if he was added to the AHL after his KHL season is over.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
They are tied for the last playoff spot but technically out of the playoffs due to losing the tie breaker right now. It's gonna be a tight race.

Minten and Cowan are expected to go very deep in the CHL playoffs, if not make it to the memorial cup. CHL playoffs start soon though so we'll see. If their respective team get ousted early, I would 100% expect them to be on the Marlies if they are still going.

Greb isn't signed to an ELC yet and I'd be very surprised if he was added to the AHL after his KHL season is over.
Marlies are in a playoff spot right now. They have a 3 point cushion. Top 5 in the division make the playoffs.
1st, 2nd and 3rd seeds gets a bye into the 1st round. 4th and 5th play a qualifying round best of 3 but it's still playoffs.
They are 2 points from the 3rd seed.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marlies are in a playoff spot right now. They have a 3 point cushion. Top 5 in the division make the playoffs.
1st, 2nd and 3rd seeds gets a bye into the 1st round. 4th and 5th play a qualifying round best of 3 but it's still playoffs.
They are 2 points from the 3rd seed.

Thanks for the correction! I missread that.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Thanks for the correction! I missread that.
No worries. Feels like the AHL changes the format every 3 years. I like the current one honestly. Makes teams something to play for, and keeps the divisional rivalries that the NHL wants.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If Minten can defend and score goals if he's paired with playmaking wingers he will be a welcome addition

We have Marner Nylander on the RW with Cowan coming soon and I'm willing to bet you can make a bloody good defensive 3rd line who can kick in offensively with that array of talent

20 goals and 35 points may seem like aggressive numbers but maybe you can wring that out of him with the correct linemates and usage
Let's be honest here if he's good defensively he's going to get plenty of ice time

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I mean that's pretty lofty expectations, Danault has been a consistent 50pt scorer while also being arguably the best shutdown centre in the game the last few years. Prime ROR was a #1 all situations centre.

We had this discussion about Minten a bit ago and Scott Laughton was a name that made sense to me for upside. Similar size and profile as a gritty two way C, 30 to 40 points. Minten needs to take some steps forward here to reach that offensive upside for me though. Michael McLeod (without the off ice issues obviously), or even recent Leaf Noel Acciari makes sense to me as a more safe projection.

Although more of a C/W Acciari is good on the draw, good defensively, physical, offensive game is limited by passing/creativity but he is a decent shooter capable of giving you ~15 goals in a 4th line and defense heavy role. I think I'd say the same about Mintens offense at this point.
I may be higher than most, because I watch the JR games very differently.
often on his missed passes, he made a pass to where his winger 'should' have been, but, they didnt have as high a hockey IQ as Minten to go to the correct spot, or take the right lane.
If dont think he will be a big scorer, but, decent enough to be a middle C and an all situation player. #1PK, and, maybe on PP2 if he can dominate in the dot, but that could be a 2-4 seasons away.
I expect him to make the club next season, or be the Marlies #1C

genk

Nov 15, 2015
I suppose I am lower on Minten than most. I really don’t see anything special about his game that will translate to anything more than a 4th line defensive C. I obviously hope I am wrong.

Reactions: Rude Dog

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I suppose I am lower on Minten than most. I really don’t see anything special about his game that will translate to anything more than a 4th line defensive C. I obviously hope I am wrong.
He's a guy who is gonna compliment 2 skilled wingers who can control the play for him. Minten and Cowan will probably be glued together during their development with the Leafs up until they are on the Leafs roster imo. They both compliment each others play style so I don't see why they won't try and develop that chemistry early.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad