Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Prospect of the week
2 players in contention this week. Stotts and Abramov. Stotts had 5 points in 2 games with 3 of them being goals. Abramov had 8 points in 3 games with 4 goals and 4 assists. The point totals might have been equal if Stotts played 3 games, but you have to go with the player who had a hat trick. Abramov gets it this week. 5 of his points came at ES while 3 came on the PP. This is his 6th POW of the season.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He's an allstar because Sandin is in the NHL, lol. You're sorta proving my point
Not sure why we're still fighting about having 2 great prospects lol

Really Liljegren should have been there already as he is having a historically good season for a 20 year old in the AHL over a 29 year old Gaunce, 27 year old Clendening, and 24 year old Rafferty.

A league trying to build it's brand as a "development" league should be pushing the young talent at an event like this.

Liljegren and Sandin are both trending towards being really great NHL d-men so let's just enjoy having both.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Updated January 26th 2019
Nick Robertson OHL PTB
Games: 31 Goals: 34 Assists: 18 Points: 52 PTS/G: 1.68 LYPTS/G: 1.02 SOG: 173 Rating: +13 ESP: 33 PPP: 17 SHP: 2 CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: 4 POM: 2

SDA OHL PTB
Games: 42 Goals: 8 Assists: 51 Points: 59 PTS/G: 1.40 LYPTS/G: 0.74 SOG: 92 Rating: +5 ESP: 35 PPP: 23 SHP: 1 FO%: 53.4 CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: POM: 1

Kalle Loponen OHL SDB
Games: 44 Goals: 6 Assists: 16 Points: 22 PTS/G: 0.50 SOG: 89 Rating: +4 ESP: 7 PPP: 15 SHP: CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: POM:

Riley Stotts WHL CGY
Games: 45 Goals: 22 Assists: 27 Points: 49 PTS/G: 1.09 LYPTS/G: 0.92 SOG: 130 Rating: +12 ESP: 32 PPP: 16 SHP: 1 FO%: 55.3 CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: 4 POM: 1

Mikhail Abramov QMJHL VIC
Games: 48 Goals: 32 Assists: 28 Points: 60 PTS/G: 1.25 LYPTS/G: 0.87 SOG: 193 DS: 107 Rating: +2 ESP: 38 PPP: 21 SHP: 1 FO%: 52.3 CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: 6 POM: 1

Filip Kral WHL SPO
Games: 42 Goals: 10 Assists: 27 Points: 37 PTS/G: 0.88 LYPTS/G: 0.77 SOG: 98 Rating: +15 ESP: 27 PPP: 10 SHP: CF%: NA TOI: NA POW: 2 POM: 1

Zachary Bouthillier QMJHL SNB
Games: 34 GAA: 3.90 SV%: .899 SO: 2 POW: 1 POM:

Mike Koster USHL TRI
Games: 27 Goals: 2 Assists: 12 Points: 14 SOG: 55 Rating: -11 ESP: 5 PPP: 9 CF%: TOI: POW: POM:

Nicholas Abruzzese NCAA UofH
Games: 19 Goals: 8 Assists: 15 Points: 23 SOG: 42 Rating: +7 ESP: 15 PPP: 8 CF%: TOI: POW: POM:

Ryan O'Connell NCAA UofO
Games: 19 Goals: Assists: 5 Points: 5 SOG: 9 Rating: -3 ESP: 3 PPP: 2 CF%: TOI: POW: POM:

JD Greenway NCAA UofM
Games: 25 Goals: 1 Assists: 6 Points: 7 SOG: 49 Rating: -1 ESP: 7 PPP: CF%: TOI: POW: POM:

Pontus Holmberg SHL Vaxjo
Games: 36 Goals: 5 Assists: 6 Points: 11 PTS/G: 0.31 LYPTS/G: 0.21 SOG: 32 Rating: +12 ESP: 11 PPP: CF%: 49.45 TOI: 12:08 POW: POM:

Semyon Kizimov VHL Lada
Games: 38 Goals: 6 Assists: 3 Points: 9 SOG: 43 Rating: +7 ESP: 9 PPP: CF%: NA TOI: 11:24 POW: POM:

Vladislav Kara VHL Bars
Games: 18 Goals: 6 Assists: 11 Points: 17 PTS/G: 0.94 LYPTS: 0.64 SOG: 64 Rating: +16 ESP: 16 PPP: 1 CF%: TOI: 16:26 POW: POM:
KHL Bars Kazan
Games: 25 Goals: 4 Assists: 4 Points: 8 SOG: 23 Rating: +2 ESP: 8 PPP: CF%: TOI: 8:35 POW: POM:

Mikko Kokkonen Liga Jukurit
Games: 26 Goals: 2 Assists: 1 Points: 3 SOG: 41 Rating: -10 ESP: 3 PPP: CF%: 40.0 TOI: 17:43 POW: POM:
Nuorten SM Liga Jukurit U20
Games: 9 Goals: 2 Assists: 1 Points: 3 SOG: Rating: -7 ESP: PPP: CF%: NA TOI: NA

Eemeli Rasanen KHL Jokerit
Games: 15 Goals: Assists: Points: SOG: 8
Rating: -1 ESP: PPP: CF%: NA TOI: 9:31 POW: POM:
Mestis K-Vantaa
Games: 10 Goals: 2 Assists: 1 Points: 3 Attempted Shots: 31 Rating: +2 ESP: 1 PPP: 1 SHP: 1 CF%: 52.4 TOI: 18:13 POW: POM:
Metal Ligaen Frederikshavn
Games: 7 Goals: Assists: 1 Points: 1 SOG: Rating: ESP: PPP: SHP: CF%: TOI: POW: POM:

Reactions: fahad203

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
He's an allstar because Sandin is in the NHL, lol. You're sorta proving my point

Not quite. You were singing Sandin’s praises because he was an AHL all-star (he was, at the time), and an “MVP” (he wasn’t).

Liljegren has now accomplished the same thing, which shows just how bad your point was, given that you were using it to try to differentiate the two.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Is that a universally held opinion, that Kokkonen’s had an off-year?
World juniors, playing in a men’s league at 19.
More of a D-first guy. I’d be interested in hearing more opinions and reports.
Well he did first play in Liiga at 15 I believe and he finished strong last year so I think people just expected more out of him.

I'll be concerned if he starts off next year slow as well but until then he's been fine.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Well he did first play in Liiga at 15 I believe and he finished strong last year so I think people just expected more out of him.

I'll be concerned if he starts off next year slow as well but until then he's been fine.
Sounds about right....happen to know his contract status for next year?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Is that a universally held opinion, that Kokkonen’s had an off-year?
World juniors, playing in a men’s league at 19.
More of a D-first guy. I’d be interested in hearing more opinions and reports.

He started out slow after starting the year with an injury that kept him out for a while. I think he even missed training camp. Seems like this is more of an off-year resembling Nylander's than anything else, but he has started to catch up a little bit.

Hard to catch up when you are 2-3 months behind, especially when you are a 19 year old going up against guys in their 20's and 30's. He is also on one of the worst teams in the league.

I would just call this a write-off year more than an off-year. Any good things that happen to him are bonus. If he is the biggest concern, we are going to have a nice draft class.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hayes narrative on Liljegren got ruined in a span of a couple weeks. Bob was on Overdrive today, and Hayes brought up the 3 prospects Bob said was untouchable.
You could tell by Hayes's tone he was surprised Lilly was in that list.
Bob said if one of the players is Kapanen or Johnsson, thats a significant package. Those are good players. There will be other pieces but they won't be Sandin, Liljegren or Robertson.
Hayes asked is it because those players will be cheap, and Bob said yes, but also when the Leafs look into the defense next season, they have Sandin and Lilly being full time NHLers.

Hayes surprised said, really? Then added Sandin for sure, but Lilj, and before Hayes could finish saying Lilly's name. Bob said " the funny thing was over the course of this season, organizationally it would be fair to say Leafs thought Liljegren was better then Sandin in the AHL. Now of course Sandin did well in the World Juniors, and got the quick call up, and has played really well here. I think the upside is higher for Sandin. By all accounts though, Liljegren has played really well with the Marlies. In terms of the pecking order, he was kind of perceived to be maybe ahead of Sandin, but they brought Sandin up because they needed a left shot D.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Hayes narrative on Liljegren got ruined in a span of a couple weeks. Bob was on Overdrive today, and Hayes brought up the 3 prospects Bob said was untouchable.
You could tell by Hayes's tone he was surprised Lilly was in that list.
Bob said if one of the players is Kapanen or Johnsson, thats a significant package. Those are good players. There will be other pieces but they won't be Sandin, Liljegren or Robertson.
Hayes asked is it because those players will be cheap, and Bob said yes, but also when the Leafs look into the defense next season, they have Sandin and Lilly being full time NHLers.

Hayes surprised said, really? Then added Sandin for sure, but Lilj, and before Hayes could finish saying Lilly's name. Bob said " the funny thing was over the course of this season, organizationally it would be fair to say Leafs thought Liljegren was better then Sandin in the AHL. Now of course Sandin did well in the World Juniors, and got the quick call up, and has played really well here. I think the upside is higher for Sandin. By all accounts though, Liljegren has played really well with the Marlies. In terms of the pecking order, he was kind of perceived to be maybe ahead of Sandin, but they brought Sandin up because they needed a left shot D.

Hayes really doesn't watch hockey outside of the NHL so its hard to take him seriously with his opinions on anything outside of that. Of course the majority of fans also don't watch the Marlies so when he says things like "Liljegren is a bust" people take it to the bank despite him having one of the best seasons ever for a 20 year old.

Good for Bob shutting him down on tv. Need more of it when it comes to terrible narratives about the players here.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/

Kokkonen got called a shut down dman. That hsd to be good right?
the analytics community loved Kokkonen going into his draft, I think it was Emmanuel Perry from Corsica that was beating his drum as one of the projected steals and had him as a mid 1st rounder (going from memory, may not be entirely accurate but it was something like that)

It's also nice that this system continues to churn out NHL talent and doesn't fall to being viewed as a bottom 10 farm

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Hayes really doesn't watch hockey outside of the NHL so its hard to take him seriously with his opinions on anything outside of that. Of course the majority of fans also don't watch the Marlies so when he says things like "Liljegren is a bust" people take it to the bank despite him having one of the best seasons ever for a 20 year old.

Good for Bob shutting him down on tv. Need more of it when it comes to terrible narratives about the players here.

Bob is so completely wrong that Lilly is ahead of Sandin though. He probably just looked at the stats and said that. It's obvious to anyone who has watched the Marlies and Leafs that Sandin >> Lilly. And I've said that before he's started to play good in the NHL.

Lilly still has a chance but he's just not the force many of us thought he would be. In time, he could be good though.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Bob is so completely wrong that Lilly is ahead of Sandin though. He probably just looked at the stats and said that. It's obvious to anyone who has watched the Marlies and Leafs that Sandin >> Lilly. And I've said that before he's started to play good in the NHL.

Lilly still has a chance but he's just not the force many of us thought he would be. In time, he could be good though.
The stats are one thing, but they are both having historically great years for their age. Liljegren is 8th all time for 20 year olds (much larger group) and Sandin is 2nd all time for 19 year olds in terms of PPG at the moment.

He's not wrong in saying Liljegren is the better overall of the two right now as his defensive game is far superior at the moment. Sandin makes some great plays but he also has some shifts where he seems to have no idea where he's going. Liljegren has taken more of that out of his game to this point.

Saying "It's obvious to anyone who has watched the Marlies and Leafs that Sandin >> Lilly" is a weird statement because you seem to be the only one here that watches the Marlies consistently that says things like that. That's your opinion and that's fine, but most people that watch the Marlies agree with Bob's statement and have been saying the same thing since last years Marlies playoffs run.

Sandin may very well be the best of the two if he can figure out the defensive side, could even be an elite player, but he's not at the moment and still has a lot of growing to do.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
The stats are one thing, but they are both having historically great years for their age. Liljegren is 8th all time for 20 year olds (much larger group) and Sandin is 2nd all time for 19 year olds in terms of PPG at the moment.

He's not wrong in saying Liljegren is the better overall of the two right now as his defensive game is far superior at the moment. Sandin makes some great plays but he also has some shifts where he seems to have no idea where he's going. Liljegren has taken more of that out of his game to this point.

Saying "It's obvious to anyone who has watched the Marlies and Leafs that Sandin >> Lilly" is a weird statement because you seem to be the only one here that watches the Marlies consistently that says things like that. That's your opinion and that's fine, but most people that watch the Marlies agree with Bob's statement and have been saying the same thing since last years Marlies playoffs run.

Sandin may very well be the best of the two if he can figure out the defensive side, could even be an elite player, but he's not at the moment and still has a lot of growing to do.
I'm with you. I've seen Liljegren live 3 times this year with the Marlies and Sandin twice. In those games Sandin was the more dangerous player in the opposing teams end but in his own end he had struggled a bit with his coverage. Liljegren every time I saw him was excellent in all 3 zones. Specifically in the defensive end with his coverage, decision making and outlet passes.

Both great prospects and we're lucky to have both. Sandin likely has higher potential but right now Lilly has been a more consistent player and there's nothing wrong with saying that.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

If he only looked at stats, then I can also say the people praising Sandin last year only looked at stats then. That narrative only applies to Lilly according to you though.

Bob doesn't judge by numbers. He has sources where he gets his information from. Considering your pretty much the only one saying Sandin has been better, shows Lilly has been ahead of Sandin this season.
We actually watch the games and know Lilly has been better. The best insider in the business in Bob said the same thing.

The other poster is correct. Sandin is the more dymanic player, but Lilly has been the better overall player.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

I'm not sure he even does watch the Marlies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad