Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Having watched the Marlies last few games, I think there are a number of forwards who could come up and fill in, in a pinch:

Moore, Engvall, Bracco, Brooks, and Carcone.

We no longer have a high-end group, which is a well-known fact, but we have a nice selection of players to fill out our lineup.

Heck, I'd take any of those names over Lindholm right now.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Having watched the Marlies last few games, I think there are a number of forwards who could come up and fill in, in a pinch:

We no longer have a high-end group, which is a well-known fact, but we have a nice selection of players to fill out our lineup.

Agreed. I'd like to see what some of these players can do in Lindholm's spot.

Not that Lindholm has been bad, but he's kind of just a body.

Reactions: Duke16

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Our entire pool is really full of guys who are progressing well. Just unlike before, these guys are no longer going to get passed over for guys who are just simply exceptional. We have the contract room to give them a chance and develop them into future role players... Which is what the Leafs need.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Lindholm would most likely be a stud in the AHL.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
maybe he can come over in the offseason and do some training with the Leafs staff.

I'd imagine as soon as the season is over he'd be on the next bird over to Canada, the Leafs development staff is pretty solid so I'd imagine they would have a plan in place for him

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'd imagine as soon as the season is over he'd be on the next bird over to Canada, the Leafs development staff is pretty solid so I'd imagine they would have a plan in place for him

I wonder if the Leafs have sent him any info, im sure underhill could critique his skating from this seasons game videos and send the info to Holmberg. That sounds like the thing to do or I would do that if I were in charge of Leafs development.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wonder if the Leafs have sent him any info, im sure underhill could critique his skating from this seasons game videos and send the info to Holmberg. That sounds like the thing to do or I would do that if I were in charge of Leafs development.

If he's been skating for 15 years I'd imagine his skating is in muscle memory territory at this point

That's very very difficult to sort out on your own, you need someone that knows what there doing on your ass working with you for months to start figuring that out imo

It's different if it's just trying to sort out a gym regime to up his explosion, you can do that anywhere but I think he'd need to be here to sort out the technical stuff

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If he's been skating for 15 years I'd imagine his skating is in muscle memory territory at this point

That's very very difficult to sort out on your own, you need someone that knows what there doing on your ass working with you for months to start figuring that out imo

It's different if it's just trying to sort out a gym regime to up his explosion, you can do that anywhere but I think he'd need to be here to sort out the technical stuff

if I remember correctly underhill would set up a camera and video a player skating towards/away/etc from and a camera and then critique the skating and give the JR players a video package for them to work on when they get back to there teams, this I know. He is in Sweden so ...

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I'm loving the "coached" looking play of both Sandin and Liljegren there. However there was one half-hearted forechecker and the rest of the opposition line was peeling off for a change. Of course a textbook break out drill executed by probably the Marlies' threee most skilled player looked effortless.

P.S. That's the exact breakout passing play that Phil Kessel refused to do according to Steve Spott.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
if I remember correctly underhill would set up a camera and video a player skating towards/away/etc from and a camera and then critique the skating and give the JR players a video package for them to work on when they get back to there teams, this I know. He is in Sweden so ...

You can watch video on yourself but if you've been doing something for 15 years one way it's a very hard habit to break

From my own POV I found it much easier if I had someone in my ear keeping my mind on technique so when I was under stress I didn't revert back to what I'd known

Different strokes for different folks though I guess

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

IMO improving skating is almost all about drills. Just repetitive boring edge drills that eventually break bad habits. The summer is the time for this. If I were these guys, I'd try to have a couple of sessions a day doing the skating drills my skating coach gave me.

The dry land strength training is of course helpful as well but it's when you're on the actual skates, IMO, is when the exact right muscle groups are actually getting targeted.

Reactions: Kiwi

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Everyone, I am tracking Lilly's game along with two team stats. Here is the 1st period.

1st Shift: Receives a pass near centre ice, and carries the puck into the zone. He lets a shot go and it’s blocked out of play. After the face off, Lilly comes up to the puck along the boards, and does a fake to the opposing player and gets by him, and sends a puck across the net that gets tipped, which Bracco isn’t able to bat out of the air. After a deflection on a shot, Lilly picks up the puck near his goal, and carries it a bit towards the side boards, before curling to avoid danger, and passing it behind the net using the boards to Sandin, who carries the puck close to the blueline and finds Bracco breaking of the zone.
I loved the little fake Lilly did to the player, which opened up space for him and almost set up a great chance. The breakout play between him and Sandin was simple but extremely effective. It would be nice if the Leafs could do something like that.
Shift Length: 0:44

2nd Shift: After a breakout by the Marlies, Lilly gets a pass at centre ice and carries into the zone. He stops at the boards in the left circle and gets double teamed, he tries to pass to the blueline that gets blocked, and the puck squirts out to the circle. Lilly goes behind his net after a dump in and gets pass from Hutchison in his skates. He tries to control it but the Moose player picks it up.
Shift Length: 1:09

3rd Shift: The Moose make a pass out of the zone to the neutral zone, Lilly steps up at centre ice and is able to block the pass from the Moose player who was looking to pass to his teammate. After a pass by a Moose player into the Marlies zone, The other Moose player has trouble handling the pass and Lilly at his blueline steps up again and covers him, and Bracco picks up the puck and passes it to Sandin near his net, and goes behind his net trying to escape the forechecking player, he curls back at the trapezoid line, and passes it to Lilly who was going around the net. Lilly carries it to the left circle, stops up and passes back to Sandin near the other circle, and he makes a pass out the zone.
Shift Length: 0:28

4th Shift: Lilly gets the puck after a faceoff win, and passes it to the right boards of centre ice to Carcone, but the Moose player stands up on the line and Carcone can’t chip it past him. The puck is loose behind the Marllies net, and as the Moose player is looking to pick it up, Lilly pins him in the boards allowing Sandin to get the puck.
Shift Length: 0:35

5th Shift: This was a brief power play shift and an even strength shift: In the powerplay portion, Lilly picks up the puck from Hutchison behind his net, and fakes right towards the net, before going left to avoid the Moose player. He carries the puck out of the zone, and as he comes out, he sends a cross ice pass to his teammate who is near the centre ice line. After a couple of small passes by the Marlies, Lilly receives a pass just after the centre ice line and passes it to Engvall on the right side, and he enters the zone. Lilly gets the puck back at the blueline and sends a deflected pass to his teammate on the other side at the left circle. During the even strength part of the shift, after the puck leaves the zone, Lilly receives a pass behind the centre ice line, and carries the puck into the zone on the right side , and with the Moose player converging in on him, he makes a short pass to his teammate which sets up a good chance for the Marlies.
Shift Length: 1:11

6th Shift: Nothing noteworthy here
Shift Length: 0:55

7th Shift: The Moose clear the zone using the boards. Lilly steps up at the centre ice line preventing the Moose player from getting the puck after the clear, and Lilly gets an uncontrolled puck just across the blueline. Lilly receives a pass at the point on the right side, and passes to Sandin on the other side. His shot/pass goes wide of the net. Lilly catches the puck after the Moose clear the zone on the right side, and makes a pass to Moore beside him. Moore enters the zone and makes a great move to get by his man but his shot is stopped.
Shift Length: 0:53

8th Shift: Lilly gets the puck from the faceoff in the opposing zone, and sends a nice pass to his teammate on the other circle, but he couldn’t get a shot away. Lilly picks up pick on left side in his zone, and fakes one way and goes the other way to get past the Moose player, and heads to the back of his net. He tries to pass to his teammate on the side boards, it gets deflected but still gets to his teammate.
Shift Length: 0:52

TOI:
6:47

5 on 5

Lilly clean exits:
Lilly supported clean exits: 2
Lilly Clean Entries: 3/3
Lilly supported clean entries: 2

Team stats

Stretch Passes: 0
Clean Exits: 14/18

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You can watch video on yourself but if you've been doing something for 15 years one way it's a very hard habit to break

From my own POV I found it much easier if I had someone in my ear keeping my mind on technique so when I was under stress I didn't revert back to what I'd known

Different strokes for different folks though I guess

Well it's up to the player and if he wants to improve, some will seek help, others won't, :dunno:

technique change could be as simple as always relying on a dominant leg more than the other and just trying balancing out the stride, etc.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well it's up to the player and if he wants to improve, some will seek help, others won't, :dunno:

technique change could be as simple as always relying on a dominant leg more than the other and just trying balancing out the stride, etc.

You can get help but if you've done something for 15 years it's incredibly hard to change, everything in your mind and body wants to do what you've been doing you whole life even if you want to change

Some guys can change and some guys can't but it does tend to be a very intensive prosess, even if it's just balancing your stride everything inside you is fighting against doing that

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You can get help but if you've done something for 15 years it's incredibly hard to change, everything in your mind and body wants to do what you've been doing you whole life even if you want to change

Some guys can change and some guys can't but it does tend to be a very intensive prosess, even if it's just balancing your stride everything inside you is fighting against doing that

above average athletics are usually open to technique changes for the better. MLB players always tinkering with there swings, etc. I switched my baseball swing over to a slowpitch swing a ways back and now crush the ball 300+ feet, change is not as hard as you think.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I think I'd like the Leafs to win the Stanley Cup. However unlike previous years it's debatable whether another 4th line center is necessary.

I’d argue it was debatable both of the last two years. That’s not what has kept us from the cup in my opinion. (And not to get too off-topic.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad