Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I don't think the Leafs are really that desperate. Their top 3 centers are locked in for the foreseeable future and Nylander should once again try to move back down the middle.

Gauthier is also a guy who looks like he could be the 4C for a while if we want him to be that guy. Even if he's not, finding a serviceable 4C is not difficult. Lindholm did well, Gauthier has done well, and I doubt Brooks would be any better than either of those two if he even makes it to the NHL in the first place.
I've been very impressed with the strides Gauthier has taken with his skating this season.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Which prospects look like they are gonna be signed to their ELCs next year?

Personally, I think we could see McGregor and Korshkov.

Not sure about Woll next year, but he will get one eventually.

Joshua, Gordeev and Dzierkals are on the fence.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I've been very impressed with the strides Gauthier has taken with his skating this season.

People did not believe me when I said it was getting better over the past two years in the AHL. Same with his physicality. He's not laying out big hits, and could still gain some more confidence, but he does use his body more than he did before.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
There are honestly quite a few players who might be better than Lindholm. I don't think Babcock would ever consider Bracco to replace one of his penalty killers though
I would love to see Braco on the PK in the AHL. If you can get him to be a PP/PK guy (even as a 2nd line) he goes from being a top 9 or bust guy, to a guy who can play anywhere in your lineup.

I hope we dont move him, as even 1 injury and he could become really helpful.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
In the post game interview, Keefe was asked about players stepping up in the absences, and here is what he said about Bracco.

"You look at Brooks and Bracco, I think those are 2 guys that we'd like to see step up, and thats's exactly what happened here today. Bracco's been good for us all season, but with the players we have lost, it has to go to another level, and one of the things about him is with the energy and the passion that he has, it's a big part of our team on the bench, in the locker room, and those kind of things, so despite being a young guy, he's bringing that to the table. So that's an area he's stepping up, and he really wanted to win this game today. You could really from the passion he had starting on the bench and that manifested itself into positive energy and I think the team can feed off so, those are two guys there that are important for us.
LOVE this.
Some guys can just will into existence a win. If bracco is developing that fire, awesome.
Mitch seems to have it too, a guy who other guys love playing with and whos fire makes others burn brighter.

Marlow88

Dec 29, 2013
In the local Prince Albert paper, it said that Ian Scott and Brett Reason were out with lower body injuries.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Lindholm isn't a NHLer except for his PK'ing skills.

Of course Lindholm is an NHLer. He's just a bottom of the lineup NHLer. We need to name this syndrome where the same standards are applied to replacement level NHL talent as scoring forwards. "The Rotisserie Player Value Conflation"?

It's almost like the concept of a team and the roles within a team is foreign to some of us.

Reactions: NCoRe

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Of course Lindholm is an NHLer. He's just a bottom of the lineup NHLer. We need to name this syndrome where the same standards are applied to replacement level NHL talent as scoring forwards. "The Rotisserie Player Value Conflation"?

It's almost like the concept of a team and the roles within a team is foreign to some of us.
He reminds me a lot of Frederik Sjostrom. Tries hard, coach likes him, but he's just kind of there tbh. Would rather have Moore learning the game at this level especially since we'll need him to be on this roster the next two seasons anyways.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He reminds me a lot of Frederik Sjostrom. Tries hard, coach likes him, but he's just kind of there tbh. Would rather have Moore learning the game at this level especially since we'll need him to be on this roster the next two seasons anyways.

It's not like he is still learning things at the AHL level, and he's given a lot more opportunities down there than he is up here. I do not think Moore provides some huge net upgrade like adding Kapanen or even Johnsson did. He's a solid player, and was pretty good in his short stint on the Leafs, but it's not a large or clear enough gap to warrant making that type of move right now. Only way Moore comes in early is either injury or we needed to trade a roster forward like Johnsson, Kapanen or Brown to get a top 4 RD.

Reactions: saltming

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'm not too savvy on the expansion rules.

But i'm always cautious that Leafs wont call people up too early so we don't risk losing cost controlled talent to expansion when we are desperate for it

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
It's not like he is still learning things at the AHL level, and he's given a lot more opportunities down there than he is up here. I do not think Moore provides some huge net upgrade like adding Kapanen or even Johnsson did. He's a solid player, and was pretty good in his short stint on the Leafs, but it's not a large or clear enough gap to warrant making that type of move right now. Only way Moore comes in early is either injury or we needed to trade a roster forward like Johnsson, Kapanen or Brown to get a top 4 RD.
I mean it would suck to see Moore playing 8-10 minutes a night, but Lindholm really generates nothing on that 4th line. He has 6 assists in the last 40 games, and really seems to get pushed around a lot. Moore-Gauthier-Brown would be better than most 4th lines in the league, even if it adds to an extra goal every 3 or 4 games it would help big time.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Elynuik gets his shot.

Good, that 4th line looked like garbage yesterday. Molino-Jooris-Greening were really bad. Good to see Ferguson, Elynuik get a shot. O'Brien has been great for the Growlers as well.

Actually the depth on the Marlies roster isn't that great. Jardine-Oleksy was pretty brutal as well. They really need Borgman and Marincin back.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay

- When developing a role player, the idea is that they excel in their role enough that a similar player cannot be easily found. This is my frustration with Lindholm, in addition to the fact he doesn't provide the physicality the club NEEDS.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I mean it would suck to see Moore playing 8-10 minutes a night, but Lindholm really generates nothing on that 4th line. He has 6 assists in the last 40 games, and really seems to get pushed around a lot. Moore-Gauthier-Brown would be better than most 4th lines in the league, even if it adds to an extra goal every 3 or 4 games it would help big time.
Leafs have plenty of offense in there first 3 lines, a good PK is very valuable and needed.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Leafs have plenty of offense in there first 3 lines, a good PK is very valuable and needed.
You have a bunch of guys that kill penalties though. Brown, Hyman, Kapanen, Gauthier and Johnsson have in the past, Tavares and Marner have been used there. I don't think Lindholm is a difference maker there.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You have a bunch of guys that kill penalties though. Brown, Hyman, Kapanen, Gauthier and Johnsson have in the past, Tavares and Marner have been used there. I don't think Lindholm is a difference maker there.

center and is maybe #2 or 3 pk guy on the team

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
center and is maybe #2 or 3 pk guy on the team
Gauthier and Tavares can center the PK, heck even Kadri could play there to get some more ice time. Kadri, Johnsson, and Gauthier have combined for just 5 minutes on the PK this year, I'm sure if given the chance one of them could be just as good.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Happy toes Elynuik get a chance.

Don't mind seeing a guy with his size that is showing some scoring getting a chance to move up.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Elynuik gets his shot.

Not necessarily. The Leafs also called up Brady Ferguson, and he has yet to draw into a game. MacMaster, Molino, Ferguson, O'Brien and probably even Clune and Sesito likely draw in before Elynuik, unless they want to give a chance to a young guy.

Marlies desperately need forwards, but it is far more likely the solution comes through trade than the ECHL. They need higher end guys, not depth guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad