Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not as much chatter about Ian Scott around here lately. There was a lot of talk right before the world juniors.

He's still going strong.

38 games played
1.91 GAA
.932 save%
30-6-0-2
4 shutouts

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
What makes you think that? Its way too early to say one has higher potential than the other IMO.

Just purely on his skill set. SDA has Marner esque qualities when it comes to his vision and agility which will make him a valuable top 6 player in the NHL (especially in this era of hockey) if his game carries over.

Stotts is just your prototypical safe pick. Projected to be a 3rd line guy. So yeah, based purely on potential and their skill sets SDA is the better player if that's what this guys list was based off of. I do think Stotts should be higher on the list though.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Every one of your top 4 must be capable of performing on special teams but your top pairing guys need to play with your the top forwards on the PP. Pesce is strictly a PK guy. Top 4 not top pairing.

Most teams use 4 forwards on their pp units now. 2 defencemen on your team are lucky to even be on the PP between both units. We now use 3 D men now that Muzzin is here and has a cannon for a shot. So even if Pesce was capable of playing on the PP who do you remove? Especially since Dermott is here and can also play on the PP. You want your top pairing guys to be able to skate and be able to move the puck. They don't have to be on the PP because you use your teams best offensive threats.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Just purely on his skill set. SDA has Marner esque qualities when it comes to his vision and agility which will make him a valuable top 6 player in the NHL (especially in this era of hockey) if his game carries over.

Stotts is just your prototypical safe pick. Projected to be a 3rd line guy. So yeah, based purely on potential and their skill sets SDA is the better player if that's what this guys list was based off of. I do think Stotts should be higher on the list though.

I disagree regarding Stotts... its to early to tell, really.

He could very well be that 3rd line guy you're describing... but whats stopping him from being a Pastrick Sharp or Ryan Dzingle or Mike Hoffman?

I guess it comes down to personal preference too... would you rather have a player with a higher ceiling with a 5% chance of reaching it... or a player who has a lower ceiling, and higher floor with a 20% chance of reaching it...?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Stotts is just your prototypical safe pick. Projected to be a 3rd line guy. So yeah, based purely on potential and their skill sets SDA is the better player if that's what this guys list was based on. I do think Stotts should be higher on the list though.

Have you seen SDA play and if so, why doesn't he have better offensive numbers in his D+1 season?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I disagree regarding Stotts... its to early to tell, really.

He could very well be that 3rd line guy you're describing... but whats stopping him from being a Pastrick Sharp or Ryan Dzingle or Mike Hoffman?

I guess it comes down to personal preference too... would you rather have a player with a higher ceiling with a 5% chance of reaching it... or a player who has a lower ceiling, and higher floor with a 20% chance of reaching it...?

What's stopping him from being like those guys is he can't skate or shoot like them. ( Mainly talking about Hoffman and Sharp)

Tbh, I prefer the higher risk picks unless it's like a top 10-20 pick I guess. The percentage of players outside the 1st round who make it and stay aren't the highest anyways so might as well swing for a home run. A lot of these guys are either just gonna be AHL players or playing over seas somewhere. Not saying do that with every pick, but I'd rather take higher risks with more picks.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Most teams use 4 forwards on their pp units now. 2 defencemen on your team are lucky to even be on the PP between both units. We now use 3 D men now that Muzzin is here and has a cannon for a shot. So even if Pesce was capable of playing on the PP who do you remove? Especially since Dermott is here and can also play on the PP. You want your top pairing guys to be able to skate and be able to move the puck. They don't have to be on the PP because you use your teams best offensive threats.

That’s my point. Pesce won’t supplant Muzzin on the top pairing.

If anything he’ll replace Zaitsev or Hainsey on the bottom pairings.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

This is how I'd see it going. Rielly and Muzzin would stay together for the rest of this season. Next season we'll assume Gardiner isn't back, that would move Muzzin to the 2nd pair and Morgan back to the left side on the 1st pair with Pesce playing RD beside Rielly. Then Dermott plays RD with Muzzin. Or if we somehow find a way to afford Gardiner, then keep Rielly and Muzzin together and then Gardiner and Pesce as a pair because Zaitsev is 100% gone in this scenario. Either way, our D looks great and it still won't matter if Pesce isn't a good PP option because we still have Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and possibly Gardiner and Rosen.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Top pairing guys are at least capable of some PP usage which Pesce is not. He’s a second pairing guy.

I consider "top-pairing" to mean top-pairing 5v5. Also, watching Pesce a lot the last two seasons (been a target of mine a while) he could run a powerplay. Not close to necessary and not his strength, but he could.

Honestly, I couldn't think of a better partner for Rielly. One of the best defensive defenseman in hockey, and more than holds his own offensively.

Reactions: stickty111 and kb

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

And they're such huge negatives it makes our team that much better. With Gardiner probably gone after this season, we could easily run:

Rielly - Pesce
Muzzin - Dermott
Rosen - Liljegren

And not miss a beat. Having a more than capable top-pairing defensenan on your second pairing is unbelievable.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I consider "top-pairing" to mean top-pairing 5v5. Also, watching Pesce a lot the last two seasons (been a target of mine a while) he could run a powerplay. Not close to necessary and not his strength, but he could.

Honestly, I couldn't think of a better partner for Rielly. One of the best defensive defenseman in hockey, and more than holds his own offensively.
I don't think I'd even say he holds his own offensively. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but he's really not impressive in that regard

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't think I'd even say he holds his own offensively. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but he's really not impressive in that regard

Eh. If you look at the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons he does. His relative for stats have completely dried up this year, but I think a lot of it is because Carolina is best offensive underlying stats team since they started tracking them.

Reactions: stickty111

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
Who's going to play Forward on the Marlies next year? Assuming a handful of our forwards graduating to the NHL next year (Bracco, Moore, Engvall, Timashov)

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Who's going to play Forward on the Marlies next year? Assuming a handful of our forwards graduating to the NHL next year (Bracco, Moore, Engvall, Timashov)
I think Moore is probably your Brown replacement.
If Babcock wasn't Babcock, you move Hyman to the 4th and slot in Bracco. Lindholm gets cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad